Testing Positive on day 7 in Quarantine

Anybody been through what happens?  Looking for experience not opinion please.

Fully vacinated with Pfizer out of the USA, no symptoms, no co-morbidities, again already day 7 tomorrow...

PhilRes wrote:

Anybody been through what happens?  Looking for experience not opinion please.

Fully vacinated with Pfizer out of the USA, no symptoms, no co-morbidities, again already day 7 tomorrow...

Are you saying that you tested positive after being vaccinated?

learned so far

Forget trying to contact BOQ, you need to submit to hotel, hotel to Coast Guard, Coast Guard to BOQ, BOq calls person tested positive to work out if extend in hotel, go to gov't facility (i.e. no money?), and CHANCE if advocate get home quarantine (we have big house 2km from Q hotel!)

Need Barangay to agree (got that)

anyway its standard 14 days from positive test that we trying to work-around.

will let folks know experience - if anyone had experience would be great to hear.

NOTE - Pfizer vac'd 2 months ago, but Phil not recognize or reduced Q  AND USA never going to be a green country with its stratospheric numbers

Yes the reason went to the USA - we and kids got vaccinated with Pfizer.

Most likley the test is positive but not really relevant as matter of health concern, i.e. swab in nose/throat found some RNA...but respect the approach.

ONLY angle trying here is to get them to all do home Q they would have done for 4 days now do for much longer.

But I was looking for any exprience of others dealing with this, at this point I half way down the road, having met with Barangay, talked to the Coast Guard rep for the hotel, etc. etc.,

figure its a 5% chance can get them home but have to fight for it!

Hi Not quite the same situation.

I had to travel to Cebu for, what should have been a day trip, to sign some papers. My better half and I chose the time because it matched with a reduction in COVID requirements. WHen we arrived in Cebu the requirements were changed and We needed swab tests to return to Bohol.

I committed the heinous crime of testing positive. Results were issued at 20:30. I did the right thing and told our hotel. We were immediately kicked out of the Hotel with nowhere to go. None of the registered Hotels would accept us and the principle government facility also refused us on the basis that I was a foreigner. Eventually, with some assistance from the police, we were ambulanced in the early hours of the morning to a second government facility. It was awful and a breeding ground for disease, including COVID-19.

The staff at the government facility helped us to find a suitable Isolation Hotel (apparently these cannot be booked directly). This was much of an improvement over the government place but still not very pleasant; no window and basic philippine food, much of which I was not willing to eat. My better half, a Filipina would not eat most of the food we were given. Luckily we could phone out for delivery.

Then the next bombshell: Bohol announced a travel ban that ended up lasting for almost one month. We tried everything to get released before the ban hit. I was and am still sure that My result was a false positive. At the end of the isolation period, we were released into the world without further testing.

We booked into a regular hotel in Cebu, which was a great improvement on the Isolation Hotel. Unfortunately an extended lock down was introduced in Cebu, which meant that the hotel facilities, such as a restraint, were closed. At least we had a window. There were some restaurants nearby that offered take away services. And, there was a total ban on alcohol sales.

Our local mayor flatly refused to assist our return home, although he had the power to do so. So, on eventually returning to Bohol, we had another 5 days hotel quarantine. We were able to choose our hotel. It was very pleasant to have a balcony with some fresh air. We were released two days and one swab test later. Two day's after that the Bohol Quarantine requirements were lifted (Murphy's law).

I sympathise with your predicament but I don't hold out much hope of an early release. We tried everything, which just added to our frustrations. Our day trip in effect quarantined us for 40 days and cost in the region of PHP100,000.

I understand that there is a pandemic but our treatment was awful and unnecessary. I've had enough of this place. I'll be leaving the Philippines in early October to take on some new work. I don't intend coming back until there is some stability, which might not be for some time, I can easily invest my hard earned cash elsewhere in the world.

Mr still very angry

BassMan_720 wrote:

I've had enough of this place. I'll be leaving the Philippines in early October

BassMan, I'm speechless

Now lets hope you can leave in early October. . .I don't want to put a hex on you so I'll leave it at that.

Bassman,

Well that puts it all in perspective. So far I am stalled as 1 of the 4 test results still not in and nobody, hotel, Coast Guard rep, us, can figure out why or reach anybody.  System either works or just a black box - they organized in the "don't call us we'll call you" model, which is unsound.

We have sent in via the hotel what we do have and see what happens.  I lost a days work trying to move this along today and wasn't pretty.

Its rather common swab tests show FALSE say several sources.

Sadly with this ongoing lockdown in place, the tourism industry desperately needs its very own stimulus....(A forced 14 day quarantine in a local approved hotel serves that purpose $$$)

:|

"Its rather common swab tests show FALSE say several sources." - sorry but that not helpful, so keep it off my thread please. I am looking for hard experiences.

For the record, false negatives are the only genuine concern for PCR tests. Statistically, if that is what you want to think given a positive result then retest but do not decide not to deal with it. 

For us the risk was simple - having to make a domestic USA flight before getting PAL flight to PHL, and while testing required to leave it not required to fly back.  So those two planes were the vectors.  I will leave my opinions about why that should not have been a risk out of it.

So just caution to those returning - I think if vaccinated you fine, my guess is our unvaccinated child gave it to vaccinated adult.  At same time the risk of children in USA getting it is rather high right now depending on where you are. Simple numbers speak for themselves, a rising tide of infections raises all boats.

PhilRes wrote:

For the record, false negatives are the only genuine concern for PCR tests. Statistically, if that is what you want to think given a positive result then retest but do not decide not to deal with it.

Be careful once you get to PH. Following a positive result, retests are not considered valid. My query to DOH received the following reply: “As per Emergency Operations center directive, ang first swab ra jd ang basihan ma'am. I wouldnt suggest for a re swab kay regardless of the result sa re swab ,still kato japon ang first will be recognized...” Roughly meaning that only the first swab test result is valid. Once you've been tested positive you are considered positive until you have finished your mandatory isolation and paid your bills.

manwonder wrote:

Sadly with this ongoing lockdown in place, the tourism industry desperately needs its very own stimulus....(A forced 14 day quarantine in a local approved hotel serves that purpose $$$)

:|

I quarantined in Panglao on my return to Bohol. I had a few days free after the quarantine period so decided to stay there to relax while exercising my freedom. The businesses there have suffered greatly from the many false starts. An almost month long total travel ban to Bohol did not help. Several small businesses informed me that they could not remain open for much longer if the current arrangements continued to stay in place.

Good news then that the Bohol quarantine and second swab test requirements were lifted on 8th September. However, replacing that with an indefinite alcohol ban will not help the bars and restaurants.

It's as though the Governor wants to destroy what little there is left of the economy on the island. He has implemented an alternative way of eradicating COVID -19: starving the population instead.

Did you say that you tested positive after being vaccinated? Three simple questions to ask yourself about vaccines:

1. Are they safe?
2. Do they work?
3. Are they necessary?

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:

Did you say that you tested positive after being vaccinated? Three simple questions to ask yourself about vaccines:

1. Are they safe?
2. Do they work?
3. Are they necessary?

This is getting a little off topic. Yes, I was fully vaccinated and tested positive.

My decision to get vaccinated was to make travel easier. Sinovac is not good in this respect for international travel but I had no choice. Being fully vaccinated was supposed to replace the requirement for swab testing for domestic travel. Regional governors ended up making their own rules (probably earning too much from the swab tests and quarantine). I needed no swab test on my travel to Cebu only for my return. On no occasion was I asked to present my vaccination card.

BassMan_720 wrote:

1. Are they safe?
2. Do they work?
3. Are they necessary?

This is getting a little off topic. Yes, I was fully vaccinated and tested positive.

My decision to get vaccinated was to make travel easier. Sinovac is not good in this respect for international travel but I had no choice. Being fully vaccinated was supposed to replace the requirement for swab testing for domestic travel. Regional governors ended up making their own rules (probably earning too much from the swab tests and quarantine). I needed no swab test on my travel to Cebu only for my return. On no occasion was I asked to present my vaccination card.

The card they may have wanted has Andrew Jackson's picture on it or maybe Benjamin Franklin's.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

The card they may have wanted has Andrew Jackson's picture on it or maybe Benjamin Franklin's.

I tried that route. For me though it would have more likely have been Winston Churchill, Alan Turing or Boulton & Watt, with of course HM Queen Elizabeth II on the other side.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
BassMan_720 wrote:

1. Are they safe?
2. Do they work?
3. Are they necessary?

To quote Lou Rawls: 'Yes the Eagle flies on Friday..'  :D

1. Are they safe?
2. Do they work?
3. Are they necessary?

Seriously, I am pissed to the point of violence by that nonsense, its the reason my daughter is infected.  Pfizer vaccine, is safe, works and necessary to avoid killing other people. My wife got it from daughter b/c time spent, my daughter got it because of idiot thinking like those questions.  People that not getting vaccinated in USA are like the idiots cheering on the Aliens at beginning of Independence day from the roof tops...right up to when they blown up.  Major difference is putting kids in the ICU. The world isn't flat either.  Deal with it.

PhilRes wrote:

People that not getting vaccinated in USA are like the idiots cheering on the Aliens at beginning of Independence day from the roof tops...right up to when they blown up.

My wife & myself both came down with Covid after being vaccinated, it was not a mild case by any means.

My wife and I are not resisting our second shot, but it is not available. (Shinolavac)
[url][link under review]

If the government had some consistency and availability of the original manufacturer, there would be more people fully vaccinated. (Example you go to a tire store and buy two tires, you go back a week later for two more and they have a different brand.)

Many people in the states are resisting the vaccines because of the mandates, if it was approached in a different manor there would be less people unvaccinated.

People would like to make an informed decision, with all the flip flopping of the experts and politicians it has caused a lot of confusion and mistrust.

Yes my son is in Manila he was going to come back to Davao, he passed the saliva test, he is vaccinated but they wanted him to have a swab test and he was positive so had to quarantine 14 days, they told him he would probably test positive again, so he is going to fly to a place not required to have a swab test ,take the bus close to Davao, than we go to Davao the back roads, no check points

Okieboy wrote:

Yes my son is in Manila he was going to come back to Davao, he passed the saliva test, he is vaccinated but they wanted him to have a swab test and he was positive so had to quarantine 14 days, they told him he would probably test positive again, so he is going to fly to a place not required to have a swab test ,take the bus close to Davao, than we go to Davao the back roads, no check points

He better get out of Manila today, bigger lock down starts tomorrow.

Okieboy wrote:

IMO and from my experience, I am sure that there are some dodgy practices going on with these swab tests. I had no symptoms after testing positive. On collecting my result, I was informed by a very helpful administrator that out of the 200 or so tests that day, 60 returned positive. That's 30%. If that is a representative sample then most of the population of Cebu would be positive by now (nearly 2 month's later). A Filipino we were chatting with, who also tested positive and was fully vaccinated, had been swab tested only a few days earlier at his work and tested negative.

I am sure that my test was a false positive. According to the DOH the PRC: SALIVA TEST AS ACCURATE AS NASAL SWAB TEST. The Saliva Test was found to be 98.23% accurate, compared to the Swab Test, which was reported as 99% accurate. Seeing as this is the government position, it must be true  ;). If this is the case, why is the saliva test not accepted across the Philippines? It would not surprise me if your son's Swab test was false positive. Perhaps we can start a conspiracy theory of corruption in the DOH and Quarantine Hotel Chains to produce false results to make money. (Now that couldn't happen in the Philippines: could it?  :/ ).

And by the way, the DOH position on retests is that they are not valid. Only the results of the first swab tests are valid until the quarantine period is complete.

Steve

To finish out the hard experience for anybody facing similar situation - I was able to get the BOQ to give me an impossible request that the LGU email them a letter saying they would take responsibility for the two boys that tested negative AND provide transportation from Quarantine to home.  Over a day and a half I worked it and got on letterhead an acceptance (that said they had completed their quarantine - which of course they had not but so what) AND also on letterhead a doc authorizing my driver to pick up...never making the point in the letter that it was actually MY driver.

Then further calls and pleas, ended up with clearance at the end of day 10 and within 20 minutes we had car there - boys were dressed in full PPE and exited HOME. 

They stayed isolated at home as I thought highly likely they got it and asymptomatic BUT PCR test today both still negative.  So in the clear. And again they young and fully vaccinated and percentage of breakthrough data to date had odds below 1%

The remaining family will  be out tomorrow 19 days in - with certs from BOQ that they survived coid and no Q needed. My daughter now has some natural immunity - not that I wanted to risk this to get it but silver lining & wife now has had pfizer AND covid positive test (though minor minor symptoms...which may as much been anxiety for her daughter)

So message is that it is possible to split family if somebody tests positive but man roll up sleeves and best of luck - the ASK from BOQ was never going to happen, but so what...some nice color letterhead - signed by barangay captain and persistence.  AND to give credit where credit is do, a caring group of people that wanted to do the right thing, why I moved my family to the Phil in large part.

So just since this on my original thread I do want to go on record:

1. the USA vaccines are safe.  the risk of Not having it and getting Covid is what the anti....sorry hesitant ....75million Americans are now experiencing and it is killing people  not just covid but run of the mill heart attacks, etc.  Its is a complete and utter moral failure.  I have family on the frontlines but also the data is the data. 

I agree if you have Sinovac - which is NOT as effective and NOT approved by any first-tier authority (so donations are in part b/c poor countries cannot get financing to buy them) is more of a crap shoot - at best the Brazil rates were 50-50. it is why we all went to the USA this summer to get vaccinated.  50-50 that it no help while pfizer/moderna   serious protection from SERIOUS illness. I fault the ricch countries for not saying we going to STOP at 65 and over and healthcare and get them out to every at risk group in the world first...but that is raw politics.

Sorry but this is in the realm of you don't get your own facts - I would just not give a damn except for the ONLY reason my daughter got it was because people didn't get vaccinated that could have - full stop - run the odds anyway you want on true data - peer reviewed studies, etc. that is the only reason.

2. People in USA just morally failing.  They were NOT mandated forever - hell there were lotteries an we all got 25 dollar credits at Walgreens when we did it - 125 bucks to spend. But idea that Mandates are now the reason is bunk.  You want to pollute a space somebody else HAS to be to earn a paycheck, live in care home, etc.., etc, then screw you - get vaccinated or quit.  Courts have already made the point that condition of employment is not a mandate, you can just not work for that employer (that where employer decides - which many have).  But yes now mandates, via Federal Gov't as employer or OSHA...right up there with not driving drunk.

3. My heart goes out to everybody that WANTS an effective vaccine and cannot get it.  it is a tragedy and the rich countries hoarding now for "booster" shots, etc., truly enrages me.  I hope we all can get all the protection we can however we can as soon as we can.

So I really not have issue with anybody on this thread as I think you all are trying to do your best like me - but I will say that if you can get vaccinated or convince others to get vaccinated, man please do.  Caveat on WHAT vaccine here, I understand.  It will be a while before I can be around anybody in USA that hasn't gotten vaccinated without truly flipping out as I know my daughter beat the odds but go look at the number of children died in last 6 weeks in USA, the number hospitalized - that is all because those that COULD get vaccinated since the Spring never did.   And the number of orphans.  Those numbers out there. 

I will continue to post when I have questions of hard experience and share mine as I think that really valuable

-END THREAD-

It would not surprise me if your son's Swab test was false positive. Perhaps we can start a conspiracy theory of corruption in the DOH and Quarantine Hotel Chains to produce false results to make money. (Now that couldn't happen in the Philippines: could it?  :/ ).

Just to be clear - they were PCR tests by Red Cross and then again yesterday by private group i know and trust. Both negative for my boys.  The positives were positives with enough symptoms to validate that they were correct.  I think policy not to retest is good as (a) limited avail/cost, after 10 days of start of symptoms you not much of a risk to others and the number of false postives at THAT point are quite high as the purpose of the test is not to clear you after you have it but if you have RNA present...so there would be many people retesting to get out when it really not matter any more regardless.

So enough on false results, etc.

As to conspiracies about hotel biz -you got  better system, all ears.  Other counties answers is just to ban everybody.....

I have to say that I agree with what your were saying about anti-vacers. I will add a belief I have that most people are sheep; not because they are timid but because they need to be led. There is an interesting book written in the 1850's that is pertinent to today, "popular delusions and the madness of crowds" it explains how many times in the past people became so entrenched with their beliefs that they did not see what was happening to them. My favorite one was called Tulip mania and occurred in Europe in the 1600's. Peace and love to all...

Michael P. Carter wrote:

My favorite one was called Tulip mania and occurred in Europe in the 1600's. Peace and love to all...

How many Beanie Babies can you buy with Bitcoins on November 5, 2024?

PhilRes wrote:

As to conspiracies about hotel biz -you got  better system, all ears.  Other counties answers is just to ban everybody.....

That's an easy solution. Decouple the quarantine hotels from DOH allocation. There are lengthy lists of DOH registered quarantine hotels. These hotels are rewarded for being registered. As part of the registration, there ought to be controls to force these hotels to accept quarantine cases, so long as they have the capacity. Those hotels that do not comply should lose their registration and otherwise penalised. The COVID Positive "guests" should be allowed to choose their hotel from the registered list on a competitive basis. Philippines is one of the most heavily locked down countries. More bans here than most.

PhilRes wrote:

Not enough from me. My certain false positive cost me 38 days of freedom and over PHP100,000, with not a COVID symptom in sight.

BassMan_720 wrote:

My certain false positive cost me 38 days of freedom and over PHP100,000, with not a COVID symptom in sight.

Thirty Eight days and 100,000 PHP, that's like false imprisonment and a hefty fine, with no recourse.

As far as the government action or better said reaction a case history of ineptitude. I can imagine your anger (probably internal rage) and the helplessness before and after.

This would make an informative YouTube story and bring shame to those responsible.

LOL

Enzyte Bob wrote:

This would make an informative YouTube story and bring shame to those responsible.

Much as it might be fun to produce such a video, I do not have the necessary skills to make it interesting. However, the link below is a rather lengthy but very interesting video that has many similarities to my initial situation. In this case, the author was travelling to the States to visit his mother. I was just trying to travel the 10km home after what normally would have been a necessary day trip.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oTnMCHhZQIU … ture=share

The Quarantine Hotel imposed on this guy was very similar to mine but not in the same location. It was so similar that I suspect it was part of the same chain.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the paperwork to be finalised to allow me to get out of this madhouse and move to my next home country. I will not be returning to my home in the Philippines until the madness is over.

Just to clarify - we doing quarantine on the return so able to pick hotel/service apartment and had to have it booked before coming - Used Ascott and they not ask for any deposit/etc, I did an efficiency apartment, then family later had a two bedroom for 4 people.

So Bassman - your experience positive for covid I understand the issue different.  Our leaving Phil was all negative tests but we have home so we already knew we had enough space, etc., to home quarantine now as standard IF you have a HOME.

Did watch the utube and that is the sort of thing that is really helpful for everybody.

We may have to do another trip to get daughter vaccinated and we already now going to break up the family into two apartments for certain and may also stagger so that first team gets through and OUT then second team has first team as support.

wjs

Not as much since bit is down $459.00 a coin

BassMan_720 wrote:
PhilRes wrote:

That's an easy solution. Decouple the quarantine hotels from DOH allocation. There are lengthy lists of DOH registered quarantine hotels. These hotels are rewarded for being registered. As part of the registration, there ought to be controls to force these hotels to accept quarantine cases, so long as they have the capacity. Those hotels that do not comply should lose their registration and otherwise penalised. The COVID Positive "guests" should be allowed to choose their hotel from the registered list on a competitive basis. Philippines is one of the most heavily locked down countries. More bans here than most.

PhilRes wrote:

Not enough from me. My certain false positive cost me 38 days of freedom and over PHP100,000, with not a COVID symptom in sight.

Yep, the PCR test is NOT valid for COVID19, especially at 40 cycles, thus false positives which quarantine hotels love. Big money maker. The inventor of the PCR test will tell you the same thing.

We arrived 22nd and are in a hotel in Makati. So far so good.
We arrived from The Netherlands where vaccination is around 90%,  and all restrictions for vaxxed people have gone apart from a few like wearing masks in public transport. The entire flight was fine, with protective measures in place.
What a horror to arrive at NAIA with seven points of contacts, handling of documents without cleaning hands between each passenger and taking photos of documents with personal phones. So much for privacy ...
There are at least two testing facilities: PADLAB and Red Cross. I would lave to see the performance of both labs side by side.
More news next week.

emvaningen wrote:

We arrived from The Netherlands where vaccination is around 90%,  and all restrictions for vaxxed people have gone apart from a few like wearing masks in public transport. The entire flight was fine, with protective measures in place.
What a horror to arrive at NAIA with seven points of contacts, handling of documents without cleaning hands between each passenger and taking photos of documents with personal phones. So much for privacy ...
There are at least two testing facilities: PADLAB and Red Cross. I would lave to see the performance of both labs side by side.
More news next week.

If you can order takeouts a good place is Filling Station Bar & Cafe in Makati. 5012 P. Burgos Street, 02-8995555. Specializing in American traditional & Tex-Mex. I don't know about the Tex-Mex but I can recommend the American traditional.

Yelp says they are open 24/7. Read the reviews, I love the place.

emvaningen wrote:

More news next week.

Good luck seeing the performance of both labs side by side. Most labs won't let you see any results. Are you moving here or just visiting?

@fortunefavorsthebold

I have been living here for over 16y

Enzyte Bob wrote:

If you can order takeouts a good place is Filling Station Bar & Cafe in Makati. 5012 P. Burgos Street, 02-8995555. Specializing in American traditional & Tex-Mex. I don't know about the Tex-Mex but I can recommend the American traditional.

Yelp says they are open 24/7. Read the reviews, I love the place.

Thank you.
We didn't take the food package, but can order a la carte from the restaurant.
Tip: we brought a reasonable amount of food with us.
I don't know if food delivery is allowed. The hotel seems to have a sanitation process and delivers thing to the rooms in hazemat suits.

emvaningen

good luck - I will keep tabs if can be any help on our experience - we stayed at Ascott and they were fine with nearly daily deliveries right up to room - knock and run... But that BGC, and we paying for 5 star as insurance on things going sideways as they intervened like crazy to be helpful as they clearly used to a lot bigger spenders.  I think delivery is a hotel by hotel thing but may be LGU location, as certainly have heard places saying only one delivery or whatever...we choose to have apartment which proved HUGE when part of group had to stay because positive test...but on day 10 from TEST they got cert all clear and out.

ANYBODY BOOKING MAN - GET ANSWER TO THAT BEFORE YOU COMMIT!

On TRAVEL risk - we think anybody coming TO the Philippines will be fully vaccinated, like you say for your experience - we out of USA.  However based on timing looks like our daughter got it on the plane from USA anyway as she too young to be vaccinated and there were other children on the plane.  That is the Vector to be concerned about given Delta. She then gave it to her vaccinated mother as such close contact for so long - so debates on false negatives aside - in our experience rather clear they both had it from symptoms.  I flew solo and had negative test on day 7 and out on day 10.

NOTE - There was a coast guard representative that seemed to be the problem solver and advocate in both my situation where I wasn't getting the Quarantine sign off even though negative test (he released me without it...showed up hours later) and my family's multiple trials.  Assume your hotel will have the same and if Hotel staff not helpful or even if they are and have passed all along as that really all they do, you an ask hotel to have that person to call you..worked for us and really was the only reachable gov't person...forget all the phone numbers they give you for anything...I don't think any of them ever worked from Red Cross on up.