Just Visiting Paphos next year.

Just joined the Forum.  Was at RAF Akrotiri Nov 1958 to Dec 1960 (MECS) then Nicosia (70 Sqn) for 6 months.  Have rented Villa in Paphos for next year and would like to know if "english" food is easily available (it must be with all you lot over there!)  I know of Theo's for tobacco and would like info about Supermarkets around Coral bay area.  Is it possible to visit Kyrenia?

Welcome

When I visit a place abroad, I like to try local foods. Why must it be English food?

Yes there are a lot of 'English' foods available, Sainsburys has teamed up with a local supermarket as has Tesco.   AIso supermarkets carry a good range of familiar  brands. I am sure you will be trying local as well as familiar food, enjoy!

Of course phillipos in coral bay has tesco products waitrose  stuff and even Greggs….Alpha Mega store in Paphos has a great range of Tesco products

Most restaurants have English options but hey look try Cyprus foods they are fabulous

It's easy to visit the North and there are several crossing points. ATM you need a negative PCR test done before you go. Pharmacies do them on the spot and give you a certificate to accompany your passport. Not sure whether you can take a hire car across. If you take your own you havevtobpurchase insurance at the border.

all vehicles need to be insured at the border even if your existing motor insurance covers it....  usually €25 for a standard car and i think €45 for a truck or larger vehicle

Taking a hire car isnt usually allowed by legit hire companies...
PCR tests I think are required both ways - but please check the RoC and TRNC gov websites for the latest requirements as they can change quickly

Thanks Toon;  Looking forward to our trip and genning up on my Greek.

Thanks Nanny;  I will be hiring a car so perhaps going north may be out of the Q.  Xxx

If you can find a local car hired privately you can still do it

Hi again Everyone;  As a veteran would I be allowed into RAF Akrotiri?  Just to look around and see the changes.

I will certainly try.  Even if I hire a second car just for the day!

I would suggest getting in touch with them there and ask

Hi SimCity;  I am travelling with three people who have never been out of the UK before!  I will try my best to get them noshing shish Kebabs etc!

Toon Hi;  Yes,  I will do that.  Also they are soon going to make available Veteran ID Cards, that would halp!

Dee56 Hi;  Thank you for your response.  Everyone has been brill.  Me;  I'll eat anything!

Sometimes they will allow, I think it's run trough the Public information office. I'll try and find out and get a contact number or email

I believe there is currently a person who has been appointed as a public information officer at akrotiri.. and special
Arrangements can be made for a tour of the base am just awaiting contact details

The presentation of a negative coronavirus test for the vaccinated when crossing between the government-controlled areas and the north may soon be scrapped.

Turkish Cypriot media reported on Monday that ‘deputy health minister' Deren Oygar is awaiting the bicommunal technical committee on health to evaluate the epidemiological data at its next meeting on Thursday.

She stated that the number of positive tests identified is steadily declining on both sides and that should that trend continue the threat level to health may be revised down to orange.

The policy change could come into effect as soon as September 27, according to Oygar.

But no change is expected for the unvaccinated, who will still have to provide proof of a negative test taken within the past three days.

Oygar further said that the committee met last Friday and discussed the process by which Turkish Cypriots can obtain the EU Covid pass and further details are expected from the Greek Cypriots soon.

The north also plans to return 40,000 doses of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, reasoning that it will not be possible to administer them ahead of the expiry date – October 30 – due to low demand.

So far 13,000-14,000 AZ shots have been administered, while the north has proceeded with 431,232 vaccinations. According to Oygar, 57.19 per cent of the population has received their first dose (218,479 people) while 212,753 people have received both jabs

@HopperX 

I'm staying in Paphos and have booked with local team [link moderated].  When you are in the Coral Bay area, I highly recommend both Arapis Coral Bay Restaurant and Porto Antico Lounge Bar.

Sea caves Tavern
Seriani
Sala Thai
Phidias Tavern
Grill n Groove ( used to be Darcys)

Up the road at peyia village
Haris bar
Wood n good
Grande...excellent
Vrisis bar...excellent
Peyia tavern... excellent
Geitonia...excellent