IND Registration for EU-citizens (for brining non-EU family members)

Hi,

I am planning to bring a family member to the Netherlands and my application of registration for EU-citizens (proof of entitlement to residency
status ) was recently processed. I have received the IND letter for collecting my "verblijfssticker".

Is this sticker the "verblijfsaantekening voor gemeenschapsonderdanen" which is valid for 6 month?

Since my family member is not in the Netherlands yet, I was wondering if I should pick up the sticker now or postpone it to a time prior to his arrival?

What happens when the sticker is expired? Can/Should it be renewed?

Hi again.

From the name of the sticker, yes, the sticker is what you think.  In general, stickers in passports are either explicitly time-limited, or are a means to indicate that the passport holder has complied with whatever process they refer to, so in your case, you have registered with the IND; the whole process is described on the IND website and this link will take you straight to it.  I don't think there is any advantage to be gained by not getting your sticker as soon as possible.

According to the IND website (link), you have to renew your sticker every 6 months; it is free of charge and you have to phone the IND to make an appointment in the last month of validity.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the reply.

So if I understand it correctly, my non-EU family memeber, after successful verification against the EU law, will get an electronic residence card valid for 5 years, while I as an EU citizen, will have to put an sticker on my passport each 6 month?!

Hi again.

I sense some frustration in your question; factually, no, the IND will place the sticker in your passport.  The IND registration is only required of EU citizens for one of 2 reasons:

IND wrote:

You have a family member who is not a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland. That family member wants to live with you in the Netherlands. or
Your previous right of residence has been terminated.

So, if you wish your family member to remain, then that's one of the requirements; bureaucracy, yes, certainly, but that's the Netherlands for you, they are very good at this stuff.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi,

We are in a similar situation, well, will be once when we move to NL and now I am completely confused with that sticker in my EU passport.
So, please, if someone can explain, is it really needed that EU citizen goes every 6m to IND for a new sticker????

I got info from IND that until March 2022 there is no need even to apply for verif. against EU law for non-EU partner because of pandemia, and if you want/need to do it anyway, it is only possible via regular mail from NL. So non-EU partner can stay with you.

Thanks!

Zorica

I just talked with the IND, they told me that my sticker will not have the six month limitation and is valid as long as I am in the Netherlands. But I won't believe this, until I actually pick up my sticker. I have seen a lot of chaos during this EU procedure :)

The links I provided in Post #2 explain about the sticker and the requirement to renew it.

I must admit it caught me unawares; the requirement for EU citizens to register with the IND is relatively new and appears to have been introduced for only a limited group of people.

With regards to Covid and its effect on travel to the Netherlands, the Government issued a statement and a revised website document, you can read it here.  It makes no mention of any derogations for non-EU families, only for MVV travellers.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

verdituro wrote:

I just talked with the IND, they told me that my sticker will not have the six month limitation and is valid as long as I am in the Netherlands. But I won't believe this, until I actually pick up my sticker. I have seen a lot of chaos during this EU procedure :)

Don't suppose you asked them to update their website then?  The sticker thing makes sense though; most countries make them valid for the duration of the validity of the passport.

zirk zirk wrote:

...there is no need even to apply for verif. against EU law for non-EU partner because of pandemia...

That's more or less not true. Sure, the IND might be okay with your non-EU partner not applying for verification against the EU law, but then your partner will not have the residence card and this can cause some problems with health insurance, opening a bank account or travelling in the EU, specially if your partner's passport requires a visa to enter the EU.

Cynic wrote:

Don't suppose you asked them to update their website then?  The sticker thing makes sense though; most countries make them valid for the duration of the validity of the passport.

Nope, didn't...

On this link, there is similar info.

"I am staying in the Netherlands as the family member of an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. Can I submit an application for verification against EU law?
You can temporarily not submit an application at an IND desk. Legally, you can continue to live in the Netherlands if you meet the conditions. This is also the case if you do not have a residence sticker in your passport. Find out what these conditions are. At the moment it is not necessary to submit an application. What if you are asked to prove your right of residence? If you explain the situation, the Royal Marechaussee and police will be flexible in handling such cases.

In other situations, it may be inconvenient not to have a residence sticker. Do you therefore still prefer to submit an application? Until 1 March 2022, you can apply for verification against EU law in writing. This is only possible if you are in the Netherlands. Please first read the conditions and then fill in the application form completely. Make sure that you fill in your address and telephone number correctly, so we can reach you. Click here for the conditions and the application form Verification against EU law (certificate of lawful residence)...."