Dreaming of Retiring in Brittany… Help needed please

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would be interested to see what advice you may have to help with our retirement dream of moving to France.  We currently live in Yorkshire, where we've lived for nearly 35 years, but have always had a dream that one day we could move abroad somewhere warmer and close to the sea.  We don't want somewhere with mad hot summer temperatures though, so thinking northern France might be suitable - somewhere with a climate that has less dark, dreary, wet days than we get in Yorkshire and many more days of warmth & sunshine so that we can enjoy more of an outdoor lifestyle.  Being close to the sea/beaches is also very high up on my wish list. I feel so happy and content by the sea - I love nothing more than getting my shoes off and feeling the sand in my toes, and having a paddle or a swim - not something I get to do often enough living in Yorkshire.  I'd want to be close to the amenities of a village/small town so as not to feel isolated, and would be great to regularly buy food at local food markets.  I like ‘arty' types of villages and love wandering round old cobbled streets, browsing in artisan/local craft shops and taking photos of pretty colourful streets - I take lots of photos!     We currently have a gorgeous cocker spaniel who hopefully will still be with us to enjoy this new adventure as well - so we're looking forward to spending more time outdoors with him (hopefully with less need for raincoats and waterproofs).   After some research, and a bit of help from my sister (who has a friend living in France), we think we've decided on our preferred location as being in the south part of Brittany. We particularly like the look of the Morbihan area (because of the climate and beaches).  Auray looks just my type of town and also Carnac, Vannes, Lorient.  Baud looks lovely too, but wanting to be as close as possible to the coast, this is too far inland. Ideally want to be max 30 mins away from the coast.  Further north, around Quimper might be suitable, but haven't done much research on that area.  We would need to be somewhere with some English speaking residents as our French language skills are very basic (not studied since school days) but we are keen to learn so that we can integrate more fully into the French community. 
That's a bit of an overview of what we're hoping for in our retirement dream - maybe I'm ‘dreaming' a bit too much and need a reality check?  That's where I'd like your help please.  We are a few years away from making the actual move yet (once our daughter has finished university and more settled then we'll be free to properly embark on our dream), but in the meantime we want to start investigating and visiting different areas to get a feel of what living abroad (rather than holidaying abroad) is actually like.   Any help, ideas, advice, recommendations etc… will be much appreciated.  Thank you 🥰.

@GuestPoster84 

Hi there...

We have a similar dreAm, and your post may  have been written for us!! We currently live in Cheshire.

We are aiming for 2023 hopefully and just gathering information.

Dont see any replies here and we wonder if you have advice to share?

Many thanks

Trish and Laurence

Hi!

I can't really provide much info in terms of the location having been born and raised in the Loire Valley.

That said, I would recommend figuring out a way to spend extended periods of time to truly experience the area, the weather (especially in the winter) to get a sense of local life, traffic, food etc.  I would also strongly suggest starting language classes because while there may be a bigger English speaking community than I would assume, dealing with things like taxes, immigration, health system and any type of administration will definitely be challenging without at least a working knowledge of French.

I'm not sure about the immigration aspects but researching the options, process and requirements would also be high on my list.

In the meantime, maybe see if you can spend 6-8 weeks (or longer!) in a short term rental to “live there”, maybe make some local friends and get a sense for what it would truly be like and whether it is what you want/expect.

Having lived in different foreign countries over the last 25+ years, what I do know is that reality is usually not what you imagined.  Not in a bad way, just in a different way :).  Moving abroad is never easy so I would think it's better to find out if reality is close enough to your dream before making the jump.

Hoping this helps a little, good luck!