USA to spend 1.2 billion on new embassy.

Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

The topic of this thread is why the new US presidency spend 1.2B on the new but unnecessary Embassy in a country where citizens are surviving on donated food.  What we're discussing is very meaningful and relevant.

Unless you would rather talk about buying running shoes from Shopee?

Maybe we could have a meaningful conversation about the quote function on this site. :sleep

Please wait while I take some valium in readiness for that stimulating topic.

:lol:
Just off to get a cloth to clean my screen again.

It really isn't funny, innocent people all around the world are dying of starvation, this is a disgraceful waste of money.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Maybe we could have a meaningful conversation about the quote function on this site. :sleep

Please wait while I take some valium in readiness for that stimulating topic.

:lol:
Just off to get a cloth to clean my screen again.

It really isn't funny, innocent people all around the world are dying of starvation, this is a disgraceful waste of money.

I was laughing at Colinoscapee's comment not at the spending of the money which I have already said why spend it?

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

The real cause of the hilarity came from fred2786's "but don't we have anything more meaningful/relevant to discuss?"   My reply was, "What we're discussing is very meaningful and relevant. Unless you would rather talk about buying running shoes from Shopee?"

The shoes referred to the time when he was, under the name myvietnam, started a thread on how he was "scammed" when buying running shoes from Shopee.   Myvietnam was banned (not because of the shoes, but for insulting the host country. Fred, unfortunately to all of us, is still here.

Then Colin continued by mentioning Fred's frivolous post criticising the people who run this site on the use of Quote (Fred also called the members who follow the rules ignorant people who pander to the site.) 

The jokes resulted in Andy's feeding coffee to his laptop instead of his body.

Every post on this topic has been serious, up until Fred voiced his unfounded complaint.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

I agree with you 100%, that's why I would like to keep this thread alive.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Can we have a better option than quote please in replies 😂

Does the dog get a boot up the bum for doing it? Or our of jealousy he can and you can't 😀😋🤣🤣🤣

Hey I'm sure the dog would let him if he asked....  :whistle:

Haha I'm sure the wife wouldn't be too pleased

Yours or mine?  :)

Looking at an artist's drawing of the new embassy you have to think why is this group of builings as big as all the other embassies put together?

Embassy

colinoscapee wrote:

Looking at an artist's drawing of the new embassy you have to think why is this group of builings as big as all the other embassies put together?

Embassy

WOW Amazing, suppose like everything USA do,  bigger is better. Think there is a "bigger picture here" though. Not all them offices will be taken by "embassy staff" & can be turned into a nice hotel or resort if they ever decide to leave.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

...... and dying of US made weapons - That's much of the reason that lump of dosh has to be wasted.
The US (Without the politics, just facts) has either started or been involved in every war (Excepting some strictly local stuff) since 1945, and that's made a lot of enemies who would love to bomb anything American.

That means a fat sack of cash on security measures most others simply don't need to bother with because nobody hates them.

No political expression here, just reality - If you don't believe me, pick a war, see who invaded whom, then look who supplied what.

The upshot is - a lot of people hate Americans - Any Americans will do because brainless pillocks with that sort of mind assign collective blame rather than use their tiny brains.

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

WOW Amazing, suppose like everything USA do,  bigger is better. Think there is a "bigger picture here" though. Not all them offices will be taken by "embassy staff" & can be turned into a nice hotel or resort if they ever decide to leave.

99-year lease, those buildings will be lucky to survive that long. Govts, not just USA are great at spending tax payers money.

I had a friend whose brother worked for the Australian trade commission, he said the money they waste was obscene. Always having parties and functions and buying the best of things to create comfortable lives for themselves.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

99-year lease, those buildings will be lucky to survive that long. Govts, not just USA are great at spending tax payers money.

I had a friend whose brother worked for the Australian trade commission, he said the money they waste was obscene. Always having parties and functions and buying the best of things to create comfortable lives for themselves.

Hey, nothing wrong with a good party especially if someone else is paying. My gripe would be I never get invited to any these days. When I was working I really enjoyed the nice meals & p*S up's on the company tab.

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Hey, nothing wrong with a good party especially if someone else is paying. My gripe would be I never get invited to any these days. When I was working I really enjoyed the nice meals & p*S up's on the company tab.

Private companies are allowed to spend what they want, govts need to be accountable. Have a look online and find a page relating to govt waste, it will shock you what these arseholes waste money on.

Based on the HCMC consulate open/availability schedule, they should only require a tent. Albeit a large one. They're closed again until further notice. Currently, IV department only works Monday and Thursdays.

colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

Actually it's very similar in size to the American Embassy in Bangkok.

pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

So that makes two oversized embassies in this region.

colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

So that makes two oversized embassies in this region.

When/If after lock-down you should do stand up comedy, luckily I didnt have a coffee this time  :lol:

So after pointing out that US spends an amazing amount on a new embassy and could have used the money better, it's pointed out they did the same in Bangkok  :lol: kinda drills the point home.

devarj57 wrote:

Based on the HCMC consulate open/availability schedule, they should only require a tent. Albeit a large one.

Precisely.  The only thing they've been doing in the last 12 months was sending out email after email after email telling expats that "at present time, we do not help American citizens in any routine inquiries or services."  Not "cannot", but "do not".

The last email (identical, only the mailing dates were changed) have one item added to the  same negative wordings:  the phone numbers of Vinasun Taxi for transportation between hospital and home, and Mai Linh Taxi for transportation to the airport.  La-di-da!

My husband already unsubscribed himself from those email, but me and my stupid hope-springs-eternal sentiment still want to hold on, just in case a good thing will come out in the end, sort of like Scrooge became a benevolent person after seeing the ghost of Marley.

Ciambella wrote:
devarj57 wrote:

Based on the HCMC consulate open/availability schedule, they should only require a tent. Albeit a large one.

Precisely.  The only thing they've been doing in the last 12 months was sending out email after email after email telling expats that "at present time, we do not help American citizens in any routine inquiries or services."  Not "cannot", but "do not".

The last email (identical, only the mailing dates were changed) have one item added to the  same negative wordings:  the phone numbers of Vinasun Taxi for transportation between hospital and home, and Mai Linh Taxi for transportation to the airport.  La di da!

My husband already unsubscribed himself from those email, but me and my stupid hope springs eternal sentiment still want to hold on, just in case a good thing will come out in the end, sort of like Scrooge became a benevolent person after seeing the ghost of Marley.

Think yourselves lucky, I thought the UK embassy &  consulate had packed up & gone on an extended holiday.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

It seems like a shocking waste of money to me. Surely $1.2 billion could be better spent?

Surely $29 trillion could have been better spent!

jjb7733 wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

It seems like a shocking waste of money to me. Surely $1.2 billion could be better spent?

In Vietnam?

colinoscapee wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

In Vietnam?

I think it was a ref to bank bailout? - yes I had to put it in google and see what came up.

Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:

In Vietnam?

I think it was a ref to bank bailout? - yes I had to put it in google and see what came up.

Sorry just pointing out $1.2 billion is a drop in the bucket of the nearly $29 trillion us national debt and I support any amount of US dollars being spent in Vietnam, hopefully this will mean more money for local workers and staff

jjb7733 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

In Vietnam?

Sorry just pointing out $1.2 billion is a drop in the bucket of the nearly $29 trillion us national debt and I support any amount of US dollars being spent in Vietnam, hopefully this will mean more money for local workers and staff

more money for local workers and staff  Best joke I've heard today  :lol:

Andybris2020 wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

lol probably true but someone's gotta build it

jjb7733 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:

lol probably true but someone's gotta build it

Actually after the US Embassy build fiasco in Russia all workers have to have a Top Secret security clearance. There will be some local jobs but very low level.

Andybris2020 wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

BEST JOKE ALL DAY, TRY THIS ONE.........

So 2008 I was living in a village called Trang Bang (famous for napalm girl) I went down the local ma n pa groceries store to buy some eggs. Now not talking one bit of Vietnamese I was struggling a bit with telling the 2 lovely ladies that owned the place what I wanted to buy & this was before my time with Google Translste or photo. So put my fore finger & thumb in the shape & sort of size of an egg & then proceeded to strut about the shop flapping my "wings" & making a clucking sound like a hen. Then I squatted down, made a sound like I thought a chicken would make when laying an egg & pointed to my bum & pretended something like an egg had dropped out of it. The two ladies looked on in astonishment, bewilderment & deep thought! then one made a sign she knew what I wanted, went to a shelf & brought me a toilet roll :lol: well we just killed it laughing & from then on I twigged & learned another thing about getting on in Vietnam & that was ...........The Vietnamese just love to see a goodolboy foreigner making a complete fool of himself & that storey went round the village like wildfire & from then on I was totally accepted & greeted with a smile where ever I went in or even round about the village.
I did actually get the eggs eventually by the way.

jjb7733 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

In Vietnam?

Cant see how money being spent on 300 million of its citizens can be compared to the money being spent on a select few here in VN. I do get your point, but I find it irrelevant to whats happening in VN.

Just as a point of reference, the recently abandoned US Embassy in Kabul cost $806 million to build.  Now that was close to 20 years ago, but I expect the Hanoi buildings don't have to be that hardened.  I have never been to Hanoi but I know that the consulate in HCMC is guarded by a sad sack Viet Army private with an AK-47 and maybe three rounds.

THIGV wrote:

Just as a point of reference, the recently abandoned US Embassy in Kabul cost $806 million to build.  Now that was close to 20 years ago, but I expect the Hanoi buildings don't have to be that hardened.  I have never been to Hanoi but I know that the consulate in HCMC is guarded by a sad sack Viet Army private with an AK-47 and maybe three rounds.

3 you say? ok I thought it was empty haha - just joking.

Definitely mail your expert opinion to the US Department of State and the Department of Defense! You must let them know!

RKB2020 wrote:

Definitely mail your expert opinion to the US Department of State and the Department of Defense! You must let them know!

Seeing there are many experts here it's best if you use the quote function so people know which comment you are answering  :top:

Andybris2020 wrote:
RKB2020 wrote:

Seeing there are many experts here it's best if you use the quote function so people know which comment you are answering  :top:

He was talking to me, he must have been!  I'm an expert.  :up::up::up:
Wait - what's the topic?
Government buildings?   :sleep

Andybris2020 wrote:
RKB2020 wrote:

Or which expert!

She. I was talking to the OP

RKB2020 wrote:

The OP is me. Last time I looked I was a male.

colinoscapee wrote:
RKB2020 wrote:

I am she. Definitely get your stamps out, Colin

goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
jjb7733 wrote:

BEST JOKE ALL DAY, TRY THIS ONE.........

So 2008 I was living in a village called Trang Bang (famous for napalm girl) I went down the local ma n pa groceries store to buy some eggs. Now not talking one bit of Vietnamese I was struggling a bit with telling the 2 lovely ladies that owned the place what I wanted to buy & this was before my time with Google Translste or photo. So put my fore finger & thumb in the shape & sort of size of an egg & then proceeded to strut about the shop flapping my "wings" & making a clucking sound like a hen. Then I squatted down, made a sound like I thought a chicken would make when laying an egg & pointed to my bum & pretended something like an egg had dropped out of it. The two ladies looked on in astonishment, bewilderment & deep thought! then one made a sign she knew what I wanted, went to a shelf & brought me a toilet roll :lol: well we just killed it laughing & from then on I twigged & learned another thing about getting on in Vietnam & that was ...........The Vietnamese just love to see a goodolboy foreigner making a complete fool of himself & that storey went round the village like wildfire & from then on I was totally accepted & greeted with a smile where ever I went in or even round about the village.
I did actually get the eggs eventually by the way.

never ask you to play Charades with me (or Pictionary)

:-)

RKB2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
RKB2020 wrote:

Mail - stamps? what century are you living in? this is an ONLINE forum we use the interwebs we don't sit around writing answers with a pen this is 2021.

"I am she" ?

Andybris2020 wrote:
RKB2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Mail - stamps? what century are you living in? this is an ONLINE forum we use the interwebs we don't sit around writing answers with a pen this is 2021.

"I am she" ?

Hot tip, thanks

Sorry you missed this in school: I and she are both the subjects of the sentence. I=she, therefore I am she.

colinoscapee wrote:

Embassy

Perhaps someone in the State Department has been reading the Scott Medbury novels, ‘America Fails'?