USA to spend 1.2 billion on new embassy.

What a waste of money, well done!

Han Oi embassy

The contract for 99 year lease was signed, but "the project is in the design process and its groundbreaking will take place at an appropriate time in the future."  Someone should set up a pool on the dates of the design being approved and the groundbreaking events.  Myself, I wouldn't count on the eggs to hatch before 3 years' time.

Anyway, the American citizens are paying for it so who cares how long it will take or whether the Embassy needs a new home when nothing has been done in its current one.

In re: the new US CDC in Hanoi, "The new Regional Office strengthens CDC's ability to meet its mission of protecting Americans..."  I'll believe it when I see it.

Ciambella wrote:

The contract for 99 year lease was signed, but "the project is in the design process and its groundbreaking will take place at an appropriate time in the future."  Someone should set up a pool on the dates of the design being approved and the groundbreaking events.  Myself, I wouldn't count on the eggs to hatch before 3 years' time.

Anyway, the American citizens are paying for it so who cares how long it will take or whether the Embassy needs a new home when nothing has been done in its current one.

In re: the new US CDC in Hanoi, "The new Regional Office strengthens CDC's ability to meet its mission of protecting Americans..."  I'll believe it when I see it.

Must be some place at 1.2 billion USD or is that a typo & its VND?

colinoscapee wrote:

Han Oi embassy

1.2 Billion USD? well thats one way of spitting in the face of the locals who could have put better use to it, nothing says we care than more than blowing 1.2bill on a venue for embasssy parties for the "A" list.

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

USD, if it was VND it woulnt pay for the wine bill

goodolboy wrote:

No, it's USD.  Like I said, it's American taxpayers (that's every one of you, hello American expats!) who pay all the bills so the new regime has no problem spending it left and right.  Remember the old Wild West movie "Have Gun, Will Travel"?   The new one is "Have a Few Thousands Printing Machines, Will Flaunt Money to Buy Votes and Love".

Anyway, I'm about to cross the line of political posts so that's it for my opinion.

Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

No, it's USD.  Like I said, it's American taxpayers (that's every one of you, hello American expats!) who pay all the bills so the new regime has no problem spending it left and right.  Remember the old Wild West movie "Have Gun, Will Travel"?   The new one is "Have a Few Thousands Printing Machines, Will Flaunt Money to Buy Votes and Love".

I have a feeling he will be visiting an old folks home way before he visits the Embassy.

Andybris2020 wrote:

I have a feeling he will be visiting an old folks home way before he visits the Embassy.

That's why he's not the one who signed the contract.  The credit will go to her as planned.  Your feeling will be reality before long.

Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

That's why he's not the one who signed the contract.  The credit will go to her as planned.  Your feeling will be reality before long.

Just re-reading the forum rules ---- Nope i'm biting my tounge.

So howz the weather in VT today,,,,,

Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

well you know the old saying about a **** & his money are easily parted.

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

With the hardened nature of the complex the price is not excessive. The cost for one of the the Presidential aircraft is over 1 billion. The price for hardened and secure structures is extremely high.

pogiwayne wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

With the hardened nature of the complex the price is not excessive. The cost for one of the the Presidential aircraft is over 1 billion. The price for hardened and secure structures is extremely high.

Yeah I can imagine they would need a hardened building with all the locals with their straw brooms, chopsticks, rice paper rolls & Bánh mì"s trying to gate crash one of their parties,,,, Where do they think they are downtown Baghdad?

3.2 hectares of land....why?

Are they going to hold military drills there?

That kind of money would be better spent back home lookjng after the tens of thousands in moee need.

colinoscapee wrote:

Security. The farther the perimeter fence is away for the buildings the better the security.

pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Security. The farther the perimeter fence is away for the buildings the better the security.

I was being facetious.

Seems no other embassy needs that amount of land.

I wonder why?

Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

I was saying I was about to cross the line of political posts so that's it for my opinion.  Then you asked a question and I had to answer.  So, if our posts are pulled, we'll know who to blame, will we?  :gloria:lol:

Seriously, one indulgent per 4.5 years is enough for me, and as I still have a job to do and a reputation to hold, I'm staying out of this topic.

Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

I was saying I was about to cross the line of political posts so that's it for my opinion.  Then you asked a question and I had to answer.  So, if our posts are pulled, we'll know who to blame, will we?  :gloria:lol:

Seriously, one indulgent per 4 years is enough for me, and I have a reputation to hold, so  I'm staying out of this topic.

I was only pointing out the lead in time for the works,,, completion,,, and then a visit,, he would be knocking on mid 80's and as far as i'm aware the "Beast" doesnt have any walking frames in the trunk.

Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Seriously, one indulgent per 4 years is enough for me, and I have a reputation to hold, so  I'm staying out of this topic.

I was only pointing out the lead in time for the works,,, completion,,, and then a visit,, he would be knocking on mid 80's and as far as i'm aware the "Beast" doesnt have any walking frames in the trunk.

Wonder if the perimeter fence will be like that famous incomplete wall the nameless one started ranting on about

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Wonder if the perimeter fence will be like that famous incomplete wall the nameless one started ranting on about

They will be modelling the wall on the one that surrounds Maxine Waters house.

Folks, I like this thread that Colin started and don't want it to be pulled, so let's try to avoid politic in what we post, OK?  For instance, the social and financial irresponsibility of the plan is not politic so feel free to beat that horse six ways to Sunday (it's a figure of speech so don't even think of siccing the SPCA on me!)  Any detour from the topic should be performed with care.

colinoscapee wrote:

Han Oi embassy

Whatever the CIA wants, the CIA gets...

It seems like a shocking waste of money to me. Surely $1.2 billion could be better spent?

…many expats from failing European governments so quick to criticize USA “regime”.

Scott McKnight wrote:

…many expats from failing European governments so quick to criticize USA “regime”.

The posters are from Ireland, Scotland, USA, England, Australia,,,, which ones are the failing European governments ? as I didnt see anyone posting from Greece, Poland etc

Scott McKnight wrote:

I'm the only person who uses the word "regime" in this thread, and I'm an American.  I would've also used the word you brought up, "failing," if I talk about politic -- but I didn't, don't, and won't, so don't bring any political view and opinion onto this forum.

My husband and I have been to 67 countries and lived in 6, and have never thought until now that, comparing to many other countries, how dismal the country I love is at the presence and would look in the future.  Again, I'm not talking about politic, only the social and legal practices that are allowed to be the norm.

In regards to the topic of this thread, the outrageous spending for something that is not necessary, at the time when the money is so much needed at home as well as in the country where the new facility is to be erected is another sign that the Emperor's fall is not long in coming.

Ciambella wrote:
Scott McKnight wrote:

I'm the only person who uses the word "regime" in this thread, and I'm an American.  I would've also used the word you brought up, "failing," if I talk about politic -- but I didn't, don't, and won't, so don't bring any political view and opinion onto this forum.

My husband and I have been to 67 countries and lived in 5, and have never thought until now that, comparing to many other countries, how dismal the country I love is at the presence and would look in the future.  Again, I'm not talking about politic, only the social and legal practices that are allowed to be the norm.

In regards to the topic of this thread, the outrageous spending for something that is not necessary, at the time when the money is so much needed at home as well as in the country where the new facility is to be erected is another sign that the Emperor's fall is not long in coming.

the outrageous spending for something that is not necessary, at the time when the money is so much needed at home as well as in the country where the new facility is to be erected which was the whole point of the first post, more vaccine's or an embassy? I wonder which would have been a better choice.

the corruption & related extravagance of the US Govt & military-industrial cabal where taps can cost $UA1,000 is well documented

this hardly rates, albeit $US1bill still buys a lot whether in US or here
(of course re cost, i imagine that all the labour etc will be flown in for security reasons)

but,btw, how much are they paying Govt for land?

however you could compare this amount to what is actually being given in financial and other aid

but don't we have anything more meaningful/relevant to discuss?

Andybris2020 wrote:

the outrageous spending for something that is not necessary, at the time when the money is so much needed at home as well as in the country where the new facility is to be erected which was the whole point of the first post, more vaccine's or an embassy? I wonder which would have been a better choice.

You probably don't know this, but in the American way, a major edifice (library, government building, Embassy,...) always has a prominently displayed plaque with the inscription of the year it was built and the presidency under which the work was authorized.  That edifice is part of the legacy of that presidency.  And as I mentioned above, to whom do you think the credit would go?

Does that answer your question?

Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

You probably don't know this, but in the American way, a major edifice (library, government building, Embassy,...) always have a plaque with the inscription of the year it was built and the presidency under which the work was authorized.  That edifice is part of the legacy of that presidency.

Does that answer your question?

I only thought it was a bit of a "tin ear" thing to do, I didnt even think of that,,, now it makes more sense.

"The most recent IRS data revealed that Americans who filed taxable returns paid an average income tax payment of $15,322 in 2018."  Source

So, 1,200,000,000/15,322=78,319 !  From 2018 rates.

Andybris2020 wrote:

I only thought it was a bit of a "tin ear" thing to do, I didnt even think of that,,, now it makes more sense.

No, not more sense.  The American adage for this case is "having more money than sense."

fred2796 wrote:

The topic of this thread is why the new US presidency spend 1.2B on the new but unnecessary Embassy in a country where citizens are surviving on donated food.  What we're discussing is very meaningful and relevant.

Unless you would rather talk about buying running shoes from Shopee?

Ciambella wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

The topic of this thread is why the new US presidency spend 1.2B on the new but unnecessary Embassy in a country where citizens are surviving on donated food.  What we're discussing is very meaningful and relevant.

Maybe we could have a meaningful conversation about the quote function on this site. :sleep

Please wait while I take some valium in readiness for that stimulating topic.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

Maybe we could have a meaningful conversation about the quote function on this site. :sleep

:lol:
Just off to get a cloth to clean my screen again.

Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Ok, I'm back!

Valium is starting to kick-in.

After consulating my dog in relation to the subject of the "quote function", he said he would rather lick his bits and get a boot up the bum than be subjected to that.

colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Ok, I'm back!

After consulating my dog in relation to the subject of the "quote function", he said he would rather lick his bits and get a boot up the bum than be subjected to that.

Can we have a better option than quote please in replies 😂

Does the dog get a boot up the bum for doing it? Or our of jealousy he can and you can't 😀😋🤣🤣🤣

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Ok, I'm back!

Does the dog get a boot up the bum for doing it? Or our of jealousy he can and you can't 😀😋🤣🤣🤣

He loves it, his name is Kickmee, so I do.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Ok, I'm back!

Hey I'm sure the dog would let him if he asked....  :whistle:

Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Ok, I'm back!

Hey I'm sure the dog would let him if he asked....  :whistle:

Haha I'm sure the wife wouldn't be too pleased