Finding a job in Mexico during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

Looking for a job in Mexico is not something you can take lightly, especially now. If you found a new job in Mexico during the pandemic or if you are currently searching for one, we would like to know how it went.

How did you go about it? Which job board do you recommend? Did you use a headhunter?
In which sector did you find a job?

Did you train in order to find a new position? If so, which training course(s) did you follow and why?

What about your package? How does it compare with your previous jobs and are you satisfied with it?

What are the most important elements to prioritise or negotiate in a package for a job in Mexico in 2021?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Unless you came with a job or work on the internet finding jobs has become much much harder. There are thousands of people here who lost their jobs when fairly large employers shut down. These are natives and the preferred employees are native.

I had a young man ask me to give him a cleaning job just yesterday.  He will have a tough time finding a job because  hiring requires trust and employees are usually hired by word of mouth. If you are not native and don't have connections the job market becomes smaller still.

Not speaking Spanish narrows the market further. I would say speaking the language is no longer just a good thing but a required thing. The market improves even more if you speak many languages because most natives only speak Spanish or perhaps some mayan and some english. So speaking some of the tourist languages might be what an employer is looking for.

Hi Diksha,

Like Travellight mentioned, jobs in Mexico require Spanish fluency or close to it as well as a legal work permit.

For this reason, my expat clients of working age have secured jobs in their home countries, which allow them to work remotely. 

In my opinion, it is not about "finding work in Mexico", but rather securing a remote job, which allows an individual to work from anywhere.

Most US job boards now allow candidates to enter REMOTE in the search parameters with no US zip code.  Of course, some positions do not qualify due to reporting or security requirements (internet, job clearance).

The majority of my expat friends and clients who are working in Mexico are either entrepreneurs or self employed. They are real estate, graphic design, photography, fitness, legal, counseling, and business consultants, etc.

if you think you will make a  good salary  the salaries here are really low and they hire mexicans first. good luck