Finding a job in Costa Rica during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

Looking for a job in Costa Rica is not something you can take lightly, especially now. If you found a new job in Costa Rica during the pandemic or if you are currently searching for one, we would like to know how it went.

How did you go about it? Which job board do you recommend? Did you use a headhunter?
In which sector did you find a job?

Did you train in order to find a new position? If so, which training course(s) did you follow and why?

What about your package? How does it compare with your previous jobs and are you satisfied with it?

What are the most important elements to prioritise or negotiate in a package for a job in Costa Rica in 2021?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

We have scientists from other countries doing research here that finance their own  projects.They already know ahead of time that there will be no funding from the Costa Rican government.Basically,they are volunteers who pay their own way.The same goes for doctors,nurses,dentist from other countries who believe they can work in Costa Rica.You can end up paying a lot monthly,just to give of yourself freely.

Basically Costa Rica has a lot of unemployment and most people are not well paid.
Therefore it is illegal for people from other countries to work in Costa Rica.
It's very rare but I've heard people can sometimes get a company to "sponsor" them to work in Costa Rica for a specific job that they can't find a Tico (Costa Rican) to do. Or maybe if you know someone... but it's not common at all.

Basically you do not come to Costa Rica to work.
It's illegal to work here if you're not a permanent resident and that takes about 5 years to get.
You can apply for citizenship after (I think it's) 5 years and then you can work here.
But again, most would not want to as the pay is generally low and most jobs are in San Jose which is a big noisy crowded city.

Most people who move to Costa Rica are retired or have a lot of money and start a hotel or something in tourism. Even in your own hotel it's illegal for you to work, you can only manage.

We are planning on purchasing a home.  I thought you were granted residency and therefore allowed to work in Costa Rica with a $150,000 purchase or investment in the country.  Wouldn't buying a home suffice?  Please let me know if I'm mistaken.  Planning on heading down for life's next chapter in July.
Thanks!

SpencerFoote74......Since when does Costa Rica allow foreigners to push Costarricenses to the back of the line for employment ? Just because you are making $150,000 investment into the country,it does not give you birthrights.Costa Rica is going to demand more from you than just your investment for residency.It is very important to research the history of this country as in culture too,before you decide to throw money here.

Edwin,
I'm not trying to be arrogant or disrespectful.  I'm a public school teacher in the states and my wife works for a nonprofit.  I've taught for 20+ years, here and in Ecuador for a few years.  We are looking to sell everything we own and leaving our comfort zone to start a new chapter. We don't have a lifetime of savings.  We studied the country, history, and traveled for a month last summer…. That's all the time we had…. We tried to leave our hotels and immerse as much as possible in the culture of the different regions.  We are serious and want to make a life change.   Im looking for advice…. Not people to tell me im a shit for wanting something different.
Be well.

Thank you for good information.  If you are only a resident are you allowed to sell anything? We make surgeries which is a bicycle that 2 to 4 people can ride. We thought that that might go well in this area. We have contracted them out to Tourist areas in the United States ...only managed

Spencerfoote74......Your original post said it all ! Do yourself a favor don't compare us to Ecuador,that is why you are having to sell everything for your move to Costa Rica and still think you can find a job here to recover financially.My reply to you was nothing compared to long term life in Costa Rica,not by what you have experienced on a vacation,so don't be so fragile......

Hello Diksha,

I feel there is confusion here. I'm not looking for a job in CR.

My goal is to rent something for several months allowing me to make my mind if I will stay in CR for long or permanently.
if you would have advice about it I'm ready to hear it.

Guy

Spencerfoote74, once you have gained Permanent Residency, which will take 4-5 after your initial application then you can legally work.  Or you can apply at a private school who in turn can apply for a work visa on your behalf, however that means a temporary position and you can't have both Temporary Residency and a work visa at the same time...and the time incurred does not quicken the time towards Permanent residency. Many people are wanting to do what you re hoping to do and the jobs would be few and far between, as Costa Rican teachers are hungry for work.

Buying a property in CR does not mean that you have permission to work.

spencerfoote74 wrote:

We are planning on purchasing a home.  I thought you were granted residency and therefore allowed to work in Costa Rica with a $150,000 purchase or investment in the country.  Wouldn't buying a home suffice?  Please let me know if I'm mistaken.  Planning on heading down for life's next chapter in July.
Thanks!

You have to be a resident for around 5 years before you can get the right to work as I understand it. Or around that time you can also apply for Citizenship I think...? I forget how long it is for that...
It used to be that buying a house did not qualify for the "investment" but maybe it does now.
You may want to ask at outlierlegal dot com. They are residency experts.

terramedic911 wrote:

Thank you for good information.  If you are only a resident are you allowed to sell anything? We make surgeries which is a bicycle that 2 to 4 people can ride. We thought that that might go well in this area. We have contracted them out to Tourist areas in the United States ...only managed

You can open a business but cannot work in the business, only manage it.

Guy Archer wrote:

Hello Diksha,

My goal is to rent something for several months allowing me to make my mind if I will stay in CR for long or permanently.

Guy

You can stay in Costa Rica and leave every 90 days to renew your visa. They don't have to let you back in again for a 2nd or 3rd etc 90 days but they almost always do.
That is the best way to see if you like living here.
You just have to leave Costa Rica for at least some seconds and come back in in order to get your visa renewal.

Samramon,
Thank you for the information.  I feel like I accidentally kicked a hornet nest here😂 I'll reach out to them.
Thanks again.

samramon wrote:
Guy Archer wrote:

Hello Diksha,

Guy

You can stay in Costa Rica and leave every 90 days to renew your visa. They don't have to let you back in again for a 2nd or 3rd etc 90 days but they almost always do.
That is the best way to see if you like living here.
You just have to leave Costa Rica for at least some seconds and come back in in order to get your visa renewal.

You can also apply for temporary residence and arrange an appointment at immigration (usually takes a year). Once you have an evidence of this appointment you don't have to leave, however......in order to drive you must renew your visa every 90 day. I have an appointment and take my chances to keep driving without leaving..

Henrych, Outlier Legal announced on the 'Canadian Costa Rica Connection' facebook page, ' We just found out through Telenoticias that the Ministry of Transport (MOPT) did not extend driving privileges. This means that even if you have an "expendiente" number you can not drive, in order to do so you are going to need a valid entry stamp that just found out through Telenoticias that the Ministry of Transport (MOPT) did not extend driving privileges. This means that even if you have an "expendiente" number you can not drive, in order to do so you are going to need a valid entry stamp.'

Suggest you play by the rules.

This rule seems so absurd that it probably has a hidden agenda.

Without an 'up to date' passport, your vehicle insurance would be invalid.

the amount to be eligible for residency I believe is 200,000 invested, OR 1000 per month via retirement. You are not automatically granted residency, you are simple eligible. That process takes months, and requires patience and good legal advice

bruceboy230.......This is how it goes down.You become the job that gets worked,by being watched,calculated,misinformed and manipulated.This is how foreigners get cleaned out here.