How about a getting-to-know hang-out meeting for everyone

Hello every one

I am not an expat member but I have lived here in Nha Trang since February 2011.  Originally I'm from California, US, as a retired school clerk. And this is my first time in Nha Trang.

I just rent a house from a Nha Trang local; the location is near Sheraton hotel. It's so convenient because I am in the middle of the tourists area.

Like most of you, I feel like we need friends who speak English (or French) to share our experience and learn from others.

Though I don't speak French, I do speak English and Vietnamese fluently.

I am thinking of using my home to organize a meeting place so everyone -- new members, knowledgeable members, travelers, tourists... to meet, may be every Sunday afternoon, about 2 or 3 hours. This could be a good time for EVERYBODY in this forum to share and get to know more about Nha Trang.

If you like my idea, please let me know. If we have more than five (5) people interesting in the idea, I will set up the first meeting and let you know where/when.

I appreciate your response, and am looking forward to see  you.

Have a nice day. :)

John Ho
my email:  [email protected]

Welcome, John.  I am Perry, still in the US but palnning a visit to Nha Trang in 2 months.  Would like to meet you then.  My email is: [email protected].  Looking forward to meeting you.

Hi Perry,

Good luck for your VN tour coming up. If you will visit Nha Trang, email me and I will be available to assist.
my email is    [email protected]

If you have never been in VN, these are a few general cautious:

Weather is hot and the air is sticky.
Saigon (Ho chi Minh city) is overpopulated, humid, traffic-jammed and noisy; you will feel cramped in the crowd.
You may need mosquito oil.
Sidewalk food are everywhere, and of course we don't want to eat them in the mist of dirt. Many fancy restaurants are nice but the price is high, so try out the average restaurants.

Touring begin from Saigon:
Buy the tour at agencies in Saigon, District 1, is much cheaper than you buy it before coming to VN. Here are some tour agencies:
Mai Linh, Mai Trang, Hanh Cafe, Sing Cafe.  They are all located in District 1, Pham Ngu Lao and De Tham streets. Touring is a package deal; you're confined to their schedule.

You have an option at these agencies: just buy one-way ticket going to the city you like, and then continue on your own. Most cities in VN have tour bus to everywhere. This way will give you more freedom to travel; 50% tourists are doing this way.

Nha Trang is a beach city, but unlike those we know through travel magazines (such as Cancuun, Hawaii, or Miami beaches). It's the big city beach, not very clean or glamorous; and thousands of local people will occupy the beach most of the day, so don't expect to see the postcard beach. But it's unique in its own way. The outskirt areas are rural landscape along the quiet seashore that show more natural scenes. A smart travelers needs to find out when and where it is a quiet time/place in Nha Trang to go.

Stay in 3-star hotel is much cheaper than 5-star. It's not worthy to pay the difference, b/c they're just in the same area. But ask for the room with window if you could. Don't be afraid to check out hotels a little far away from the tourist center where the price is low. Trust the hotel receptionist for information. To get around the city in a small group, get on the taxi, don't bargain with the driver, pay by the meter and tip the driver (never higher than 2 dollars). To travel alone, I suggest you rent a motorbike paid per day. Motorbike is the cheapeast way to go around. In terms of safety, Nha Trang is relatively safe and the ATM are available everywhere. Internet is everywhere. Use your common sense like we do in the US.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

John Ho

hi john, i'm considering moving to NaTrang for a couple or years -- just for fun and something different, also, i hear the cost of living is inexpensive.

I'm retired and another retired friend would come with me too.  We're looking for a two bedroom apartment, prefer a house though.  What are the prospects of finding a decent size apartment or small/med house?  and the cost?

Did you find adapting to the culture difficult?  I've been to Vietnam twice, once as a USMarine in 1968 (not fun) and another time about 3 years ago as a tourist and just simply fell in love with the country, culture, people and been wanting to return ever since.

I ran across an article about NaTrang being one of the best places to retire and thought I would check it out.

We plan to come over next March for a coupleof weeks to check things out and to see if NaTrang is what we're looking for -- think it is, sounds great from what I read.

However, sure would like to get some insight from someone who lives there and know first hand. 

Any insight on housing, types, cost, security.  Is NaTrang safe?

THe articles I read all say that it's a wonderful place to live and the cost of living is very inexpensive.  Just trying to confirm whether that's true or not.

Thanks friend.  Phil

John Ho wrote:

Hello every one

I am not an expat member but I have lived here in Nha Trang since February 2011.  Originally I'm from California, US, as a retired school clerk. And this is my first time in Nha Trang.

I just rent a house from a Nha Trang local; the location is near Sheraton hotel. It's so convenient because I am in the middle of the tourists area.

Like most of you, I feel like we need friends who speak English (or French) to share our experience and learn from others.

Though I don't speak French, I do speak English and Vietnamese fluently.

I am thinking of using my home to organize a meeting place so everyone -- new members, knowledgeable members, travelers, tourists... to meet, may be every Sunday afternoon, about 2 or 3 hours. This could be a good time for EVERYBODY in this forum to share and get to know more about Nha Trang.

If you like my idea, please let me know. If we have more than five (5) people interesting in the idea, I will set up the first meeting and let you know where/when.

I appreciate your response, and am looking forward to see  you.

Have a nice day. :)

John Ho
my email:  [email protected]

Your email is invalid? Biennho2572 at yahoo.com???

@Sproject >  just to inform that this is an old topic [2011]