EP got rejected due to salary bump

I am holding SPass and got a new job (new Company) that will apply me for EPass

My current salary package:
Our company's minimum fixed performance bonus is 2 months and max of 3 months.

I will compute my yearly salary on a minimum basis.

Monthly basic: 5300
2 months bonus: 10560
13 month pay: 5280
Total annual: 79440
Monthly (including fixed bonuses):
78840/12 = 6620

Increase monthly by 15%
6620   (6620*0.15) = 7613

SAT minimum EP salary for me is 7500

New company's offer is 7500. So new offer has a increase of less than 15% in my current salary package.

My EP got rejected due to salary bump. New company can not apply for SPass because they can not meet the quota required and can only apply EP for me.

Anyone has the same experience? Any suggestions or maybe you can share something that can help me. I am not so sure if the employer can ask MoM to lower down the minimum salary from SAT.

MoM looks at fixed annual salary, and you need to justify the bump/ increase. It shouldn't be just outlined as a salary for example without the computation fundamentals, why are you being offered that salary? What skills and experience command that? What changes in the new role etc.

Hello Shekhz,

I actually have asked this same question from different forum and got no answer, so that's why I posted my own. I think that's not allowed, so apologies for that, I am new here.

The reason why they offered me 7500 is because:
- the Employer can not apply SPass for me because of the quota
- they can only apply EP and the minimum salary suggested by SAT is 7500

If based on my experience, I have a 10 year IT experience, 7 years relevant to the job offered to me. So I think 7500 is still low for my experience. One of the advances that I may have is that, I have experience developing super old system and the new employer's project is migrating from old to new technologies so that's why they need developers who have an experience with old systems.

My question is, how are you going to justify this?
Seems like a lose-lose situation because:
- if you apply a salary lower than the minimum salary suggested by SAT, you will be rejected
- if you follow the minimum salary suggested by SAT, you will also be rejected

Thank you answering :)

Get the employer to submit the application with a great write-up on the cover letter about your expertise/ knowledge/ skills/ qualifications in migrating software/ systems from the older technology to new. Call out that such resources are scarce (if they are), the market standards and also specify that whoever applied (other than you), didn't have similar requisite credentials.

You don't have to be sorry, you can ask questions here that are unique and not repetitive if you have gone through recent threads.

Salary justification shouldn't be around pass quota, example, S Pass quota wasn't there so we applying for EP and paying the minimum salary- instead outline the good things and push for an EP.

Hmm, the salary seems reasonable given your experience. Is your new company a startup? Could it be that MoM doubt the ability of the start-up to provide your new higher salary?

Hi Shekhz,

Thank you for a very well written and informative answer, this really helped me understand my situation.

Hi Farhan_Z,

Yes, it is a start up company.

Could it be that MoM doubt the ability of the start-up to provide your new higher salary?
- This one I am not so sure. Did not know that the company's ability to provide this salary is being questioned. Thanks for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the remarks from MoM:

"The salary offered does not seem commensurate with the candidate's credentials"

CaptainBarbell wrote:

Hi Shekhz,

Thank you for a very well written and informative answer, this really helped me understand my situation.

Hi Farhan_Z,

Yes, it is a start up company.

Could it be that MoM doubt the ability of the start-up to provide your new higher salary?
- This one I am not so sure. Did not know that the company's ability to provide this salary is being questioned. Thanks for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the remarks from MoM:

"The salary offered does not seem commensurate with the candidate's credentials"

This has nothing to do with employers ability to pay/ not pay, it is about what you are being offered and why.

So this remarks

Does it mean salary is too high or too low? How would you know?

CaptainBarbell wrote:

So this remarks

Does it mean salary is too high or too low? How would you know?

Usually it is for higher salaries, not lower.

Thanks Shekhz. I hope my ep application appeal gets approved.

I think judging by his credentials it's pretty reasonable to the role / salary in question. So I don't know if MOM just provided a default kinda reply.

However, I have noticed that more often than not, an EP rejection for a higher salary seems to be an issue usually for Startups compared to MNCs, as there seems to be suspicion whether a startup with only a couple of years of existence even have the revenue to support a salary considered high by MOM.

But yeah it's mainly a trend I'm noticing from these cases ! Always exceptions

Farhan_Z wrote:

I think judging by his credentials it's pretty reasonable to the role / salary in question. So I don't know if MOM just provided a default kinda reply.

However, I have noticed that more often than not, an EP rejection for a higher salary seems to be an issue usually for Startups compared to MNCs, as there seems to be suspicion whether a startup with only a couple of years of existence even have the revenue to support a salary considered high by MOM.

But yeah it's mainly a trend I'm noticing from these cases ! Always exceptions

That's a reasonable and fair point (on startups), I can only relate to that reason from MoM (having had experiences), that the company hasn't extended a valid justification- if they would have, even a higher number would have sailed through.

Hi guys,

Do you think in my case, would it be a high chance like 70% that my EP will get approved?

I tried to search here with similar concerns and most forum that I saw were either rejected or still on pending, not much approved. So I am very worried about my situation because I already resigned in my current company and still got10 days before my last day.

CaptainBarbell wrote:

Hi guys,

Do you think in my case, would it be a high chance like 70% that my EP will get approved?

I tried to search here with similar concerns and most forum that I saw were either rejected or still on pending, not much approved. So I am very worried about my situation because I already resigned in my current company and still got10 days before my last day.

Why did you resign before getting an IPA/ EP approval? U don't ever do that.

Salary bump as I explained has to be justified, can't explain beyond what I outlined earlier.

Hi Shekhz,

It was a bad decision because I am still a bit new here in Singapore and I thought applying for working pass here is 100% success rate.

I was blinded by the good offer and the company has a more advance systems that I really want to work with. Also, they told me that the client is in urgent need so they want me to resign after they apply for my EP.

As I check more similar issues, it seems like the success rate for this issue is very low. Most of them have been rejected. I am so worried right now and dont know what to do if I really need to go back to my home country. :(

Hi guys,

I have an update.

My EP got rejected again, here's the reason:
You have not shown that the candidate should command the salary offered

My HR called MoM to clarify the rejection, here are the reasons:
- Need more supporting documents
- Sufficient company funds to support my salary
- If company tried to consider local candidates
- Why choose me instead of other local candidates

Then with a note:
This will take 3 weeks. Sometimes it takes longer when we need to contact other agencies.

These points which you have highlighted are common  factors. So, your employer should come up with a better case study that why they need to hire you instead of a local talent. 

You may carry on your present job and see if your new employer can provide a better case study to MoM to reconsider your case. Good luck

Hi All,

I from IT Infra Systems background My new employer HR apply EP on 28 Aug 2021 and its rejected on 7 September 2021 due to "The Salary Offered does not seem commensurate with the candidate's credential ". Its rejected due to high salary change. My current salary $4300 and new place offered $6300. In the EP application current salary and expected salary there is a 2k hike its very huge. So I believe they rejected due to high hike. So in the  appeal my HR break down the calculation between my current salary with 3 months bonus and my expected salary for the justification. So the hike is about 8 hundred plus.

First appeal on 13 Sep 2021, in the appeal included my below documents attached for justification.
1.3 months pay slip and bank statement
2.IRAS
3.my resume,
4.My job scope - explain why I suitable for this role. example; experiences and certifications.

EP approved on 25 Sep 2021. In appeal If you provide proper documents and  justification to MOM sure they will approved. Hope my experience's will help. Stay positive and good luck everyone. Thank you.

Congratulations aanjana0112. It's indeed correct  if the documents are properly given, then approval chances are high.

May I know the duration your EP got approved for?

Hi Guys,

need some suggestions,

Currently I am holding 3 offers, all are of same salary range and all are banking clients. I am anAutomation engineer.

Scenario is i chose 1st company (A)and they processed EP and it was rejected with reason stating high salary and again appeal was made and it was also rejected.  So the agency is waiting to look for S pass for me to apply. They said may be in a week time they can find one.

And now the other two company(B and C) doesnt have S pass they said they can process only E pass and their rate of Success for previous applications are 100% , so here i need some inputs from you guys like which one will be more likely good option to go with. Because the companies B and C wants me confirm the offer by accepting. so i am confused to chose which option to go with?

Please help me out guys with your valuable feedback. That would help me to take wise decision.

One update is Company A is waiting for their Quota release for S Pass by Oct 1st week. This was told by agency. I dont know how sure it is to believe.

Hi nivetha, I am also in same condition rejected with same reason.
i choose to go for company B EP, its been 2 weeks and EP is still pending.
@anyone got approval on second time in salary hike rejection ?

What sort of pass/ visa are you on now? If you have time and are in no rush, it will be best handled this way (my opinion only)-

1. The company which had an appeal rejected, do you know if they addressed any/ all queries from MoM. Example, did they justify the salary well that they are offering you? They need to do an excellent job here else it won't sail through

2. If you feel they did a great job, have time on you, you may want to pick the other offer and give the EP a fresh go (an application is submitted in 75% plus scenarios when the submitter does a poor job in justifying why you, why the salary, who all they interviewed, missing company specific details and not extending accurate credentials of the applicant (at times basics like candidate's CV are missed, company's financials are not submitted, so on and so forth).

Hi,
I have been a silent member of this forum.Sharing my experience here.
I worked as Business Analyst in IT service industry for 4 years in Singapore and quit my job in 2015.
I was staying in Singapore on Dependant Pass for these past 6 years.
I recently started searching for job and got good offer as Business consultant in top 10 consultancy firm. So basically I have a sabbatical break of 6 years.
I was very worried if my visa application would get rejected because of my maternity break but it was approved today.
As beppi and shekhz said, if your company's HR follows the rules set by MOM and submits all relevant documents (due diligence before submitting the application).MOM does not reject your application. MOM gives fair chance to everyone!

Details of my application:
Visa: Spass (EP qualifying salary was 7000 sgd)
Last salary in 2015: 4500 sgd
Salary now:6400 sgd
Nationality:Indian
Application submitted: 15 sept
Application approved: 27 September.
Visa Validity: 2 years
PS: My husbands EP also got renewed 15 days back for 3 years. Took 7 working days to approve his application too.
All the best everyone :)

Congrats to your recent job offer. Current IT job market has several aspects to it. With having 6yrs break sometime it may be a drawback looking at changes at technology side and overall process flows. But, then due to foreigners banned or almost very less access to Singapore job market, many jobs are vacant for several months particularly in IT or IT related fields. There was an article recently published in Straits Times that as many as 32,000 IT positions are vacant for more than 6 months due to lack of skilled local forces. We have seen many people are having multiple job offers even EP holders in IT sector here.

Good to hear that MoM is now renewing EP for 3yrs. Normally, I heard of 2yrs or less. Good luck to you both.

pingp9031 wrote:

Hi,
I have been a silent member of this forum.Sharing my experience here.
I worked as Business Analyst in IT service industry for 4 years in Singapore and quit my job in 2015.
I was staying in Singapore on Dependant Pass for these past 6 years.
I recently started searching for job and got good offer as Business consultant in top 10 consultancy firm. So basically I have a sabbatical break of 6 years.
I was very worried if my visa application would get rejected because of my maternity break but it was approved today.
As beppi and shekhz said, if your company's HR follows the rules set by MOM and submits all relevant documents (due diligence before submitting the application).MOM does not reject your application. MOM gives fair chance to everyone!

Details of my application:
Visa: Spass (EP qualifying salary was 7000 sgd)
Last salary in 2015: 4500 sgd
Salary now:6400 sgd
Nationality:Indian
Application submitted: 15 sept
Application approved: 27 September.
Visa Validity: 2 years
PS: My husbands EP also got renewed 15 days back for 3 years. Took 7 working days to approve his application too.
All the best everyone :)

Congratulations! Do well with your new gig.

@aanjana0112

Hi, I just recently applied for an Spass and I got a similar response from MOM.

I submitted tthe documents to my employer but it seemed that he is asking to be the one to provide the justification. I submitted to my employer each and every supporting documents that MOM requested. Kindly advice how shall I respond to my employer.

I am also in the middle of doing a letter of justification.

Appreciate all the response from the member of this forum
Gereme: It is not you, who should justify getting the job - it is THE EMPLOYER who needs to explain why they need to get a foreigner (and not a similarly skilled local, who must be hired first, by law).
Thus if the employer asks you to write that, they clearly don't understand the process - and in all likelyhood will not be allowed to hire you.
My advice: Look for another company!