Wanting to move soon have a few questions

We are wanting to move to belieze soon and have a few questions..could any expats take time to answer a few questions for us..thank you

Have you visited before?
If not plan to rent in different areas & live like you were living here for a month or two, or 3-4 months.
Do you have specific ideas of what you want/need?
I live in a local area & love it.
Ali

Well wanting to find a place in corozal area as heard that most affordable for retirees.wr looking for house between 500 and 750 srea...also wanting to bring our dogs and we wondering what we need to know in that
Also views on qualified retiree program
Few other questions

I am in Corozal Belize and may be able to answer some of your questions.  PM me and we can go from there.

I agree,
I highly recommend you lease a house first.  We are leasing right now and I am glad to not be 'stuck' because we plan on moving.

Amy5000 wrote:

I agree,
I highly recommend you lease a house first.  We are leasing right now and I am glad to not be 'stuck' because we plan on moving.

Good advice on renting first.
I also suggest experiencing all season before picking your forever location. Not doing so first seems to be a major reason why many expats move back home or another country after 2-3 years.

I have used a very good QRP agent. PM me if you want her information.

I have purchased some property in Cayo Belize.  It is just straight land and I need to clear a road into it and build a house there.   I am looking for a backhoe or maybe a cat and have been having a hard time finding anything online.  I know there are places there to buy one but no prices are listed.  I am also thinking about buying one in the US and shipping it there.  Looking for the cheapest and easiest option.  Plan on buying one by the spring and having my house build by May.  I also have alot of other questions like cost of fencing property. Anyone help with this.

I have purchased some property in Cayo Belize. It is just straight land and I need to clear a road into it and build a house there.  I am looking for a backhoe or maybe a cat and have been having a hard time finding anything online. I know there are places there to buy one but no prices are listed. I am also thinking about buying one in the US and shipping it there. Looking for the cheapest and easiest option. Plan on buying one by the spring and having my house build by May. I also have alot of other questions like cost of fencing property. Anyone help with this.
-@drake0524

Do you have the title documents back from the "Lands Department" yet?

I don't know who to suggest in the Cayo area, but if it were me I would start by going to Spanish Lookout and asking around. Websites are not likely to offer much detail in Belize. Better to use Facebook to search for contacts. But absolutely nothing beats your own sandals in the sand. 

Your time line sounds really ambitious for Belize. I don't know if the same building boom is happening in your area as in the south, but the already modest skilled labor and materials resources are really spread thin these days.

@Amy5000 Appreciate any help, with flight costs at the moment I am not sure when we will get down to Belize again.  We are looking at having a Mennonite house built and delivered to the property we have in the Cayo.  My wife will move down fist while I continue to work in the states till retirement.  I have straight land and need to get fences, clearing done, and a road built before I have the house put on the property.  I plan on doing part of it this year still but my main concern is getting a backhoe tractor and am finding it difficult to find anything online.  I have a friend that will build the road into the property if I supply the backhoe. 

@Ali.Gray Yes I have been to Belize 5 times, and have traveled around the country.  We picked the Cayo because its cooler then the beach but plan on also buying another parcel on the beach. 

@Aerodex we went to Spanish lookout last time we were there to look at the Mennonite built homes, didnt have a chance to look at tractors, thought I could find something online.  I will check it out next time I go down.

@Aerodex we went to Spanish lookout last time we were there to look at the Mennonite built homes, didnt have a chance to look at tractors, thought I could find something online. I will check it out next time I go down.
-@drake0524

It does not look like you spent much time looking at previous threads on this site. Lots of info here as repeat questions are common. I suggest most folks do not put up websites. Many that do, do not update them very often. Lots of what folks in other countries use websites for is done in Belize on Facebook.

But to me the best way to make contacts is in country, on the ground one on one. You have not offered much info on your intentions, but it sounds like you might be looking at farming, as you want a tractor. Spanish Lookout is the heart of agriculture in Belize. I suggest spending time driving around there, stopping going into places during the week, and  talking with folks, asking who they recommend for whatever it is you are looking for. They are good hearted and helpful folks. Perhaps when talking about having a house built, ask them for who does or sells the other things you are looking for. Its a small country/area, everyone knows who does/sells what.

Spanish lookout is also one of the few areas of with any manufacturing, and you will likely be buying many things there in the future. Making contacts there now will pay off in the future. 1f600.svg