Packages from the U. S.

What is the best and safest way to have a package sent from the U. S.

I'm sure (ok, so pretty sure) if you have mail delivery at your house (depending on where you live), you have decent postal service.  Where I live (in a rural area) we have to use the post office box and the best way to get your mail (and safest) is to have it brought to you by someone who will visit you often.  So many times I did not get mail sent to me.  Orders that tracking said was delivered were not at the post office = magazine subscriptions were not delivered, etc.  My son comes twice a year and brings me my mail - I have him open anything that may need attention - he has access to my banking account so he can pay my credit cards,  make deposits for me, etc.  Not as handy as seeing your mail daily, but better than not getting it at all.

Many times you will find that unless in a large town or city, you will first get a get a card saying  you will have to travel to the nearest customs office to pick up a parcel that have been delivered by the post office. So, before you rush off to pick it up, check what hours are for picking up parcels...and it realize that you may have to wait until after lunch.  :whistle:

Using a courier service can get very expensive which may deliver to your home, but either way you will have probably to pay tax on it.

Here is a link showing what items are restricted and so will be confiscated.

You can order packages through various services such as AeroPost or Liberty Express. You can use them for shipping from anywhere or you can use them to order stuff from Amazon.

Either way import fees will be added and they are not cheap to use.

But if you use the Correo (post office) here, as Kohlerias said, you'll have to go during their hours which may vary from area to area and you may have to wait in a long line (up to an hour or more, depending on where the post office is). You may wait in line only to be told to go home and pay a fee online then return again to pick it up (?!) I have no idea why but that happened to me.

Liberty Express is the most convenient but generally if you order something off Amazon you'll pay nearly twice the price or more of what it would cost to ship it within the USA. Example: a hammock I wanted weighed bout 5 lb as I recall. It was on sale for $29 on amazon, but to get it shipped here was a total of $119. Yes, 4 times as much.
One thing you get for your money though is that they know what is okay to ship and what isn't and I think they guarantee it for the price you pay (i.e. it will arrive without taxes due in addition to what you they told you to pay). I have not used them, (too expensive for me) so I am only repeating what I've heard others say.
I was going to have a document sent from the USA recently and the cost for one small envelope - only 1 oz letter - was going to cost me $115.00 US.

Before the pandemic I would make a trip to the USA once a year to get stuff that is a lot cheaper in the USA or that I cannot get here. Like, I bought a computer there 2 years ago and paid half of what I'd pay here. Same with phones ... you'll save near half by buying in the USA.

Best if you can find someone to bring you stuff when they visit.

If one goes to the Correo CR website, it states that personal packages (not letters)  from the US are considered the least important type of mail and thus are the last to be delivered.  It states you will wait for two months before it is even looked at seriously to deliver.  I had to go online to that site, register and file a request to have it found, then follow up on it over several more weeks to have it delivered.  I had sent it via USPS express and it made it here in five days.   Then sat and sat.   No bueno. 
I agree the mail forwarding services out of the Miami area are your best option, although the freight can be a bit pricey sometimes from Miami to CR.