Update on our Development/house building experience

I write this update with exhaustion in my breath but I am so appreciative of all of the support during our journey that I wanted to offer this for those that gave those encouraging words.

August, 2021, almost 6 years after taking the bait, home still not done.  Major repairs x 3 and starting a major overhaul and finishing (Dear Lord, I hope) with a builder that we checked out for almost 2 years- he checks out.

After discovering that the fast moving, smooth talking, personal and relationship berating actions resulted in paying double for a house in an all-inclusive gated luxury community where there is little or no recourse for any contractual or performance failures, we have a home of medium build and value that has required several time a year repair, maintenance and emergency service.

We recently met with the president and 90 % owner of the company from Belgium (who sells diamonds, probably blood diamonds) and his wife and a principal investor who also participated in the reviews of the company online to entice customers to buy something that didn't, and would never, exist.  In an effort to drop our criminal lawsuit, stop exposing them online and let them "make right", we allowed them to attempt to finish the home.  This was while we sat on our terrace, looking at the rebar and mesh fence that the CEO put up to block our driveway- requiring us to get a survey done to have it removed.  We told the President about what we went through and his response was "I am the biggest loser", well, I have to agree.  Anyone that can sleep at night knowing that almost a hundred customers lost a life savings, retirement or inheritance purchasing their dream vapors is a total loser.

We ended up enduring the same process- lies, manipulation, stalling, excuses and frustration.  We did get some repairs to the structure done, some safety and functional items and a few cabinets and a master tub installed.  They planted some trees and brought dirt into the cliff our home teetered on, but most importantly sent many emails confirming everything I said about the process so that if it ever did get any notice, I have them admitting to not finishing the home, owing us money and the fact that the CEO from Canada, originally Pakistan, has no remorse for the rampage his company did and is doing in Costa Rica. 

We were able to have a sit down with the mayor of Santa Cruz and his advisor to be told from them that the company owes a few years of Caja, wages and taxes.  They entered into an agreement with the attorney of the company a year ago, only to experience what we did- that they never intend to do what they say.  So, why aren't you grabbing them in customs or bringing their attorney to court? You know who they are???  I don't get it.

We had 5 attorneys throughout this process, only to have our case sent from one prosecutor to another and as of today sits doing what????  who knows, communication is nill to none.  We just wait.  A friend of ours is on year 18 with a lawsuit here...its just the way things go here I guess.  Probably why there are so many of these "projects" and so many sad stories of dreams brought here, bought here and buried here.

Our grass roof that became a turf roof is destroyed by water and has to be redone.  It was intended to use rain as the nourishment for the "eco" grass roof, so instead it is a bird bath and has infiltrated the roof and must be torn up and redone. 

The walls were never sealed so they grew mushrooms and the like, they are getting treated (again) and then sealed.

The floors are cracking, crumbling and must be redone.

All of the appliances broke before even being used- they are not for CR so we are replacing all of them

The pool is not made to code so we have this neat waterfall feature everytime we swim.  That, too, will need to be remade.

All of the privacy windows were installed backwards, so we live in a fishbowl but we are having them reinstalled correctly.  We can't see out to the million dollar views but the world can watch us live.  Ouuu, the luxury.

The earth they brought in has cracked and washed away and continues- this will be redesigned and redone.

They installed a smart home system that is remotely managed in Europe and wired our home three times capacity for the electrical box.  They installed one battery box (I forget what this is called, PRC or something) when the house required 4.  So, electricity malfunctions and goes out randomly- our bill when not home is over $300 a month and we are replacing the entire smart and electrical system for CR standards and management.  A mere $23,000 USD.  At one time the company called us as we were flying to stop in San Jose and buy a battery for $5,000.  They were "kind" enough to arrange the purchase.  We, of course, said uh, no.  Got to our home and called our builder who came with an electrician, fixed the system so we could have electricity, told us the batteries must have 4 to function properly and they are only $3,200 each WITH his mark up.  Thanks, company that is offering affordable luxury, for your last attempt to exploit us yet again.  Thank God that we wised up and finally said, no, thank you.

I know that it is hard to believe it is happening- there are STILL people buying and building with them in their "next" project- yes, this will be project #6.  They've moved their equipment, workers, etc. behind gates of Bellazo and off they go- a hot market for dream weavers.  Sold all their lots in Sonidas Del Mar and if you ever go there, in San Juanillo, you'll see how that's shaping up. They have ZERO remorse.  And, they've managed to keep the Costa Rican government and municipality at bay so, why not?  No, and I mean NO consequences.  They are sufficiently pissed that in the US I have plastered their emails, false advertising and tied to CONVICTED scam artists to them and cost them so much in sales but, I'd like to see as few casualties as possible.  I am not moved by the cries of these multi-million dollar scam artists.

Some of those who have come on here and decided to "post" against me in hopes of gaining favor and getting their house done are slowly discovering the money pit they've found themselves in.  Though I wish they weren't going through it, those who were warned and chose and encouraged others to do so deserve to own it and I hope they continue to marinate in the losses knowing that they caused a lot of good people to keep sending money and hoping.  I went back to work full time as a Registered Nurse to help recover from the burden this created.  As I helped heal sick, injured and repaired it reminded me that when someone is at your mercy, you owe it to them to lift them up and help by removing that which got them there, giving them strength and hope when they have run out.  Something this company brought out in me and remains in me towards all they exploited.  I will never stop telling their story.  Documents, if you're interested are on many US sites but one is ripoff report.

There are still some who allow this company to rent and their property because they just don't want to deal with it.  They are feeding the beast.  Until someone, anyone, with any authority puts the breaks on these guys, this may never end.  They have affected more than their customers- workers, the government and the community.  They have moved their assets into many different companies under many names, into several trusts to avoid recourse but I am certain this country has the ability to get what is owed them and their citizens.

We sit in our unfinished home looking at the ocean, and just to the right, a cement shell of a dream gone bad, and to the left- the canadian head of construction and his canadian girlfriend and their elaborate home that was and continues to be built on the dollars taken from homes that will never be done.  These are the people roaming and enjoying and inter mingling with the pura vida expats and locals in Ostional and Nosara.  They've continued to spend and enjoy here, because over 80 people sit in their home country, paying their costa rican lawyers, while these unsavories enjoy their pradas, entertainment, ocean views and luxury lifestyles on all of these customers and workers nickels.

It's been quite a journey, quite the education, and quite the experience.

Lesson learned?  If you're buying something that doesn't exist, it may never.  Only you can make your dreams come true, you can't buy them and others can't create them.  You must build your dreams yourself.

Pura Vida friends.  Thanks for always listening.  See ya on the beach.

JustaGirl............ Dear Lord,what a story,thank you for sharing !!! As you know first hand,there is flood of people right now in Guanacaste from North America,buying left and right,buying everything in sight.Sellers are getting their price as the Nicoya Peninsula is billed as the best place on earth to live....Please tell us,was this a"Corporate Share Sub-Division" ?

So sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these horrible conditions and that people are  continuing to  invest their hard earned funds in this company, despite the warnings that you have placed on this forum and other places.

This is why it is important to post a truthful review regarding your experiences with building contractors and any other businesses  when  they have been been totally completed to your satisfaction so others can avoid the heartache that the OP has endured with no end in sight.

For new forum participants in this forum, please search for past articles regarding this company when considering building a home in Costa Rica.

'Justagirl', good luck in continuing this fight!

Yes.  All of the information is easy to find.  Buyers beware...they prepared for your coming.  It is one of the best places to live, do everything you can to experience that side of it, don't buy dreams, buy those things that allow you to live your dream.  BEST WISHES!!

I'm so sorry this nightmare has happened to you. How did you find the original builders in the first place?

justagirl, so sorry to hear you were not yet able to get things sorted out. I wish I could say I am surprised, but having read all your earlier posts I had a feeling you would be suing them for years...

All I have ever heard about suing, here in Costa Rica, is that it's hardly worth it. It takes years and $$$, and  justice may or may not be achieved.

I knew when you were asking about maintenance and repairs that things were probably not going well at all.

What can I say? Post as many places as you can about this.
Copy and paste the above story and maybe put it on a Facebook group in your area? Other forums for Costa Rica? At least they deserve as much bad press as possible, and if you have proof, then I should think it would be okay.
Some Facebook groups are afraid of negativity towards Costa Rica or people doing business here though, so some may permit it and some may not.

Appreciate your coming back here to update us and I do hope those at fault get their due some day, be it legal or karmic. It never fails to amaze me how bad people skate through life while good people suffer, but I guess that's "life". I'm sure your post here will help some people avoid the pit you fell into.

I at least hope your house and property gets finished satisfactorily some day in the near future! Best of luck!

Happened to my parents in Nosara more than 40 years ago. Foreign investors are wealthy criminals that abuse humanity everywhere, not just Costa Rica. Beware of gated communities and home owner associations.

As I've said a zillion times on this forum - DONT BUILD!!!!  I get everything youve said - our experience wasn't quite as  bad as yours, but our place cost DOUBLE what we were quoted.  Once you're in, you're stuck!!!!  Also had a bogus lawsuit we had to fight and that took 4 years and tons of money.  Grrr.....takes the entire CR vibe away for sure

This may have been said already, but are any owners of the company American?   Are you American?   If so you can take them to court in the US.  Any American who defrauds another American can be sued in US court, no matter where the fraud occurred. 

If you're not American but have a country in common with the owner there might be similar laws in your home country.  Just an idea. 

In the meantime if plaster all over town the photo of your owner neighbors and ruin every second they spent there.  Get spotlights on your house that blast a billion limones into their windows.  Anything you can do to make their lives miserable.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your persistent and well-written warnings over the years.  You have saved me and I'm sure countless others from being tricked out of our hard-earned money by these thieves at Bellazzo and elsewhere.  Until Costa Rica enforces their laws and arrests these crooks, it is no place for a foreigner to build.  I'm so sorry for all you have been through, and wish you the best of luck.

Building here is not a problem if you buy a lot on its own. And I'm sure there are legitimate developments, but there are also quite a few bad ones.

I built my house using a Tico Construction supervisor, to American Standards. We had absolutely no problems whatsoever, and it was built on time and within budget.

The key is getting a good construction supervisor. Unfortunately I cannot help you with mine as he no longer works. But I know quite a few people who have built their own home and had no problems.

jcc2823......It is already a challenge for Costa Rica to monitor human trafficking,narcos and the open border with Nicaragua. Extradition of foreigners to their country of origin is possible, if someone is doing all the footwork,funding of attorneys in that country where they are from.This is why Costa Rica is such a draw for white collar crime from around the world.This development group and their default of judgement in L.A. is an old story now,that is how they ended up in Costa Rica.