Schools with population of Black children attending

Hi

I'll be moving to Mauritius in the next 6 months and want my daughter to go an international school with a good student population of Black African children so she has other children who are also black. She would be starting in primary year 6 and then moving to secondary after completing the year.

The school would need to be English medium and i can be flexible about where on the island as I am a remote worker.

Could anyone recommend a primary and secondary school please?

Thank you.

Hahahahahah. Are you for real.

I don't understand what you're getting at?

I'm moving half way across the world from a Western country. Currently, My daughter is the only black child in her school - she's had children tell her hair is not hair and is sheep's wool, she's had children tell her her skin is the colour of poop and she is very isolated. Having other Black kids in her new school is essential for us. I want to make sure the school she attends in Mauritius has children that look like her and not primarily made up of children of White ex-pats. Whilst Mauritius is multi cultural with an approximate 30% of people with Black African heritage. I'd like her to go to a school that reflects that.

Well do not send her to crappy expat school then. This is Mauritius and not America or England. No one gives a toss in Mauritius about your colour. As long as you have given your children good manners and ethics and she is willing to put in the hard work she is bound for success. Mauritius has changed a lot in the last decade and communities miss much better now. PM me if you want further advice or help. All the best

Hello, sorry to hear about your daughter's experiences.

There are no expat schools in Mauritius. There are private international schools and if they were not any good, parents would vote with their feet and not inconsiderable schools fees.

The schools are very mixed and a lot of the pupils (probably the majority) are Mauritians from various ethnic backgrounds. e.g. Many Franco Mauritians are sent by their parents to improve their English.

You are quite limited in choice. You have Northfields in the north, Le Bocage in the centre and West Coast in the ....obvious!

It would be best to visit the schools and gauge for yourself if the environment would suit your daughter. I think you will find the teaching staff also come from varied ethic backgrounds and that may allay some of your concerns.

Best of luck with your search.

Our kids have just started at Northfields and too soon to say anything here about our experiences of the school academically - but the kids attending the school are, as far as i can discern, coming from all walks of life, nations, colour and creeds. Lots of South Africans, Local Mauritians, Europeans, there are Austrians, Swiss and many other nationalities too.  Of course it is more expensive than a local state school, as it is a private English-speaking school, but it is still a damn sight cheaper than sending your kids to a private school in England for example!

Would agree with you Stan.  We looking forward to our daughter attending the West coast high school who so far have been a pleasure to deal with.  We also find it very well priced compared to what we were looking at in private schools in South Africa.

also @blahblah123, Northfields has a primary and secondary campus, so in terms of the school runs, that makes things simpler. I'd definitely check out the other schools as well though as this one worked for us for a number of reasons whereas you may have a different set of criteria! Best of luck!

This is all really useful to know.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I had hoped to visit schools prior to her attending but that is looking more and more difficult. Hence why your replies are helpful. Seems the international ones are mixed with regards to ethnicities which is reassuring.

Maybe when you are actually in Mauritius and then you will find out what is what. Don't go by few posters here and think it is all rosy in Mauritius.

In straight words most expats are not very friendly towards people of colour or natives. The kids will only follow what their parents will teach them and the environment at home. Dont forget why majorty of expats,ie South Africans are in Mauritius in the first place. You just need to see the Places they live with high barbed wires and you would think who they are trying to protect themselves against. In a nutshell very few expat Caucasians will mix with people of colour or natives. This is a reality and most will buy their heads in sand rather than to talk about this.

I suggest you send your daughter to a school like Loreto which is highly recommended by locals and expats alike. I am from UK and i can tell you that picture is very different in Mauritius despite what is potrayed on forums like this. Also I am a parent myself and have lived among expat community and locals. My in laws are 6th generation Mauritian natives.All the best in your search.

@Guest72364927

Hi there!

Apart from Loreto, do you know of any other schools that have a diverse population?

Like @blahblah123, I am also interested in a school where my kid won't be the only Black kid in his classroom. As is currently the case with us here in Canada. The effects of that situation can be terrible and long-lasting.
Hi Unicornia,

Welcome to expat.com 1f642.svg

I'm afraid @Guest72364927 is no longer a member of expat.com and wont be able to answer.

I suggest you read other threads from the Mauritius Forum, as schools and diversity are topics that have been covered many times. You can also create a new conversation and explain your situation to have a personalized answer.

Cheers,
Vero
Expat.com team
@Unicornia

Any school you will send you kid, he/she will not be the only black kid in the class as Mauritius very diverse.

That being said, if you send your kids to paid school where white immigrants send their kids. Of course there is a high chance that there will be very few to no black kids. Otherwise there is no risk that your kids will be the only black one in the class.
@ blahblah123 - on a side note, be aware that Northfields school year runs August - June. Whereas West Coast and Le Bocage use the southern hemisphere school year and run from January - November