Sharing my single permit timeline 2021 and a question about annex 49

Hi everyone, I have been on this website for months looking for experiences for applying a Belgian Single Permit. Now my application is almost completed so I think I need to contribute

Timeline:
June 7th 2021: Sending the digital application to Flanders region
June 22nd 2021: Response from Flanders Region, telling me the work permit is approved and they have sent my document to the administrative office for granting my residence permit.
July 28th 2021: My residence permit is approved (annex 46)

So it was around 1.5 -2 month in total to get annex 46

However, Things are not finished yet.

The next thing to do is to get a visa D in a Belgian embassy in the country you reside (can be different from your original country). This visa will allow me to enter Belgium. please bear in mind some embassy will only have appointment time slots available after1 month (e.g. Den Haag). So, try to make appointment as early as possible.

Once I enter Belgium with visa D, I need to find an accommodation and register in the local city hall. Some cities may use 2-4 months to invite you to be there to do the registration and give you Annex 49, which is the document enable you to start working.

Adding the time finding a place to stay and signing the contract (a contract is necessary for registration) for, let's say, around 2 weeks. The time needed after I got Annex46 and before I can actually start working is: 2 months!

Now does anyone knows is there a social security number or registration number on Annex 49? because my employer says I cannot get my salary without this number, they need to use it during some financial registration work.

Thank you for reading and I hope everyone can get their paper work done soon!

Hi Powerslave,

First of all welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for your contribution and congratulations for completing your application.

As for your questions, i hope that our members will be able to help you very soon.

Cheers,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

so after you reached belgium how many days took to start duty

powerslave wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been on this website for months looking for experiences for applying a Belgian Single Permit. Now my application is almost completed so I think I need to contribute

Timeline:
June 22nd 2021: Response from Flanders Region, telling me the work permit is approved and they have sent my document to the administrative office for granting my residence permit.

The next thing to do is to get a visa D in a Belgian embassy in the country you reside (can be different from your original country). This visa will allow me to enter Belgium. please bear in mind some embassy will only have appointment time slots available after1 month (e.g. Den Haag). So, try to make appointment as early as possible.

Once I enter Belgium with visa D, I need to find an accommodation and register in the local city hall. Some cities may use 2-4 months to invite you to be there to do the registration and give you Annex 49, which is the document enable you to start working.

Adding the time finding a place to stay and signing the contract (a contract is necessary for registration) for, let's say, around 2 weeks. The time needed after I got Annex46 and before I can actually start working is: 2 months!

Now does anyone knows is there a social security number or registration number on Annex 49? because my employer says I cannot get my salary without this number, they need to use it during some financial registration work.

I can give you a hint normally format of social security number looks like.

First six digits are your date of birth and then five more digits.
For example if your date of birth is 10th jan 1990 then the number format is like:

YY. MM. DD-XXX. XX
90.01.10-123.45

Eid card

Hope this will help you.

Cheers,

Hello again, after reading this it takes another 2 months to get the paperwork completed? Is it possible to start working once we are in Belgium with d visa and single permit and also notifying at townhall of our arrival? Can anyone share some more insights.

Thanks

Hello

those questions have been answer millions of time on this forum.
Please take the take to search a bit with the loop icon on the top right of your browser...

You just need to have a look at the date written on your work permit :cheers:
And normally you can start working at day 1 of your arrival in Belgium.

You have to state your arrival at your commune within the first 8 days of your arrival.

powerslave wrote:

Timeline:

Hey. I can't believe your employer didn't tell you this. When you land in Belgium you can start working. I don't know whether permit has a registration number or not. Let me get back to you on this.

Hi All,

I arrived at Belgium 2 weeks now with my family and have been looking for an apartment so that i can register/get my annex 49 and start work. The Belgium consultants my employer engaged to process my immigration documents confirmed to my employer that i cannot start work until i get an annex 49. Despite the fact that i contested this, they say that though employers in Belgium sometimes allow their employee to start work with only the annex 46, that its not legally compliant and guaranteed to do so and that legally, i must have the annex 49 before i can resume work in Belgium. 

As a result, i have been unable to start work and have been looking for accommodation etc. Its been tough to be honest. With regards to the accomodation, the area that i saw that i really loved is Antwerp but i gather that getting an appointment and getting the annex 49 could take weeks. As a result, i am looking for accommodation in Brussels so that i can get the annex 49 and start work.

Kind regards,

Ope

@AlexFromBelgium Thanks Alex. I agree with you as well and have seen that so many people actually start work once they arrive Belgium if they have the work permit. Unfortunately for me, i have been unable to start work since i came to Belgium 2 weeks ago(with my family). The immigration lawyers/consultants engaged by my employer confirmed to my employer that i cannot start work till i get the annex 49.

When i contested this, they told my employer that though employers allow their expats to work without the annex 49 in Belgium, that it is not legally compliant and cannot be guaranteed. They say an annex 49 must be given to the employee before they can start work. As a result, my employer has insisted that i get an accomodation and obtain the annex 49 before i can resume work.

Its been really tough finding accomodation, getting appointments to visit etc and i wonder how long i would need to wait to get an annex 49 once i get an apartment so that i can at least start work.