Moving to Muaritius permanently and want to take my car

is it worth taking my car to Mauritius- only 2 years old and valued at nearly £20000 or is it better to sell it and get a new one in Mauritius to avoid hassle and the car being over valued by custom in Mauritius.
Thankyou

I would also like to know please?

Hi everyone,

@ Khooshi, what's the make of the car ?

Regards,
Anou

Original poster:

Regardless of make our value of car, question is Are you a returning resident?

If it is a premium make like a BMW or Porsche take  it.But if you are a returning resident them no tax or duty just shipping fees

can anyone deny or confirm the rumour that if a
(between 18 and 48 months old)
single- or double-cab pickup truck
(bakkie in South African lingo)
is imported then the 100% import duty is not applicable ?

this site is not clear on this

https://www.beckevans.co.uk/export-used … ritius.php

(reason: because these can be used for commercial deliveries etc, and also of their relative scarcity in the new and used Mauritian vehicle market)
- is this just an urban legend / island tale or has any expat actually brought in one of these and paid less / no duty  ???

Good question.

a Honda HRV

Hi i am a returning  citizen but everyone keeps telling that I have to pay 15% IED and 15% VAT

Nope.Everyone who keeps telling you is incorrect.

No vat or IED for returning residents provided you have had the car under your name for more than 1 year. Are you based in UK?

hi thanks
this is so confusing-  keep being told that nothing to pay on personal belongings but not on cars- and as concession it i only 15% IED and 15% VAT.
Yes I am from the UK- is there any chance you could share or post a link of a government website that says that. I would greatly appreciate that
Thankyou

Hi, I am from Canada and planning to move to Mauritius. From what I've learned, you can buy a new car free of duty as per diaspora scheme.
http://www.diaspora.mu/government.aspx

Khooshi wrote:

hi thanks
this is so confusing-  keep being told that nothing to pay on personal belongings but not on cars- and as concession it i only 15% IED and 15% VAT.
Yes I am from the UK- is there any chance you could share or post a link of a government website that says that. I would greatly appreciate that
Thankyou

http://www.diaspora.mu/incentives.aspx

Forget about the laws in Mauritius as everyone is on the back hander there including the government as bribes play a big role in the lifestyle.

Also do not forget if you are importing and customs give you grief, ask to speak to Mr Naidoo who likes to take crisp GBP'S.I have never come across a government official who is honest in as bribes and corruption is rife.

Excise duty on imported motor vehicles (Above 450 cc) is 100% of its value. If the value of your Honda car  is less than Mur 1.5 M, you will be fully exempted of the excise duty, as a returning citizen. VAT of 15% is applicable on any (Vatable) product you import, whether you are a returning citizen or not.