Moving to someone in Sweden & Student permit

Hi

I have a couple of questions. I have gotten admission in Stockholm university in the second round of classes are online till the start of Nov.

1)    What are the chances of getting a student permit if I apply now? Also in January, I got married to someone who has PR and I am currently visiting my husband in Sweden.

2)    Before the admission, I was thinking to apply for my spousal permit. If I apply for the spousal permit now I won't be able to join university this year. Whats a better option to get a student permit no and later convert it into a spousal permit or to get a spousal permit?

3)    Also is it possible for me to study one semester freeze the second semester and apply for the spousal permit after completing 30 credits.?

4)    Another question since everyone will be getting a temporary permit now regardless if your spouse is on a work permit or has PR would the processing time be less now?

5)     Also, what is the current processing time to move to someone who has PR if you are a Canadian national?

Thanks in advance:)

Hello,

1. Normally it should have been too late to apply now since the autumn term (or fall semester) will start 31/8 but the Covid has given many dispensations in almost every field so it is worth to double check it with them.
Your marriage and student visa has really nothing to do with each other at this stage. Normally your 90 day visa free stay only can use as a visitor so I don't think it will change anything either, but again Covid did change many things.       

2. A student visa cannot convert to a spousal visa. Spousal visa will give you almost all the rights whilst student visa only will give you limited rights and student visa is limited in time.

3. Normally freeze a semester should be ok but I am not sure if you can apply for spousal visa afterwards from here (since you entered the country as a student) but again Covid and also Canadian citizenship might help, so better to double check it too.

4. No, rather take even longer time.

5. Let me supply you a DIY tool https://www.migrationsverket.se/English … ision.html
Cheers!

Let me try to answer your questions according to my understanding:

1. If you get selected by a university, you'll probably get a student visa. So your student visa will be valid nearly from the time when your course starts. Whom you are married to is of little relevance either in your university admission application or your student visa application. So basically you'll be treated like a foreign student at this moment.
2. You could apply for spouse visa anytime you think is right. There is no such thing as visa conversion as far as I know. To my knowledge your student visa will be automatically cancelled the day you are granted spouse visa. Also I don't have enough knowledge of your personal circumstances to make a judgement what is a better option.
3. Technically possible, not sure what's the intention so a bit hard to comment more.
4. PR rules have changed recently, where they have now introduced some new clauses. My own interpretation is that one needs to be self sufficient financially to be eligible for PR. Also there is ongoing process where the government is likely to introduce language requirements to this decision.
5. I think being Canadian doesn't give you any special privileges in visa grant process. Mostly all this depends on accuracy of information being provided and documentary evidence being submitted.

For sure your spouse's social and financial standing will be looked upon during the evaluation of spouse visa application.

finnbo wrote:

Hello,

1. Normally it should have been too late to apply now since the autumn term (or fall semester) will start 31/8 but the Covid has given many dispensations in almost every field so it is worth to double check it with them.
Your marriage and student visa has really nothing to do with each other at this stage. Normally your 90 day visa free stay only can use as a visitor so I don't think it will change anything either, but again Covid did change many things.       

2. A student visa cannot convert to a spousal visa. Spousal visa will give you almost all the rights whilst student visa only will give you limited rights and student visa is limited in time.

3. Normally freeze a semester should be ok but I am not sure if you can apply for spousal visa afterwards from here (since you entered the country as a student) but again Covid and also Canadian citizenship might help, so better to double check it too.

4. No, rather take even longer time.

5. Let me supply you a DIY tool https://www.migrationsverket.se/English … ision.html
Cheers!

zarnash khan Today 16:08:24
2 posts
Yeah that's my main concern to that I have very little time left for the student visa. About the second thing you can apply to get your permit changed from a student to a spousal permit after you have done 30 credits or completed at least one university semester. I was asking if anyone has done that and was the process easy for them. Also I know about the time to decision tool too but wanted to know the real waiting time for people who have applied as that is just a estimate thanks for your reply

ekhfaiz wrote:

Let me try to answer your questions according to my understanding:

1. If you get selected by a university, you'll probably get a student visa. So your student visa will be valid nearly from the time when your course starts. Whom you are married to is of little relevance either in your university admission application or your student visa application. So basically you'll be treated like a foreign student at this moment.
2. You could apply for spouse visa anytime you think is right. There is no such thing as visa conversion as far as I know. To my knowledge your student visa will be automatically cancelled the day you are granted spouse visa. Also I don't have enough knowledge of your personal circumstances to make a judgement what is a better option.
3. Technically possible, not sure what's the intention so a bit hard to comment more.
4. PR rules have changed recently, where they have now introduced some new clauses. My own interpretation is that one needs to be self sufficient financially to be eligible for PR. Also there is ongoing process where the government is likely to introduce language requirements to this decision.
5. I think being Canadian doesn't give you any special privileges in visa grant process. Mostly all this depends on accuracy of information being provided and documentary evidence being submitted.

For sure your spouse's social and financial standing will be looked upon during the evaluation of spouse visa application.

You can get your visa converted after studying 30 credits and completing one semester was asking if anyone has done that and what was the process like. Also I know I won't be getting PR now as they have changed rules but would the new rules reduce the waiting time as all spouses are getting a temporary permit. Actually time to decision tool shows different times based on your nationality for Canadians it takes less time compared to people from some countries. I wanted to know the actual time it took for real people as the tool on the website just gives a estimate. Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, everything depends on how straight forward the case is, the lesser the number of variables the easier for migrationsverket to make the decision. People who come from Western world generally have proper documentation and evidence to support their case that gives a lower lead time in cases (that's my understanding). As far as I have known the cases are based on individual's data and their is no assurances they'll be addressed quickly being from a certain country. There are cases that have anyways taken more than average times.

I am not sure if "conversion" is the right word to use because what happens is you get totally different type of visa with many more other rights than a student visa normally allows you. So spousal visa will be a total new type of visa based on other facts than your student admission, therefore it cannot count as a conversion of it (something already existed), rather a start of something new, (which is your marriage).

finnbo wrote:

I am not sure if "conversion" is the right word to use because what happens is you get totally different type of visa with many more other rights than a student visa normally allows you. So spousal visa will be a total new type of visa based on other facts than your student admission, therefore it cannot count as a conversion of it (something already existed), rather a start of something new, (which is your marriage).

Yeah you are right basically you become eligible to apply for a spousal permit from inside Sweden after completing 30 credits

30 credits has nothing to do with spouse visa....from where are you making that conclusion?

Finnbo is saying exactly what I said earlier, there is no conversion of visa. If you are on student visa and then during that time you receive spouse's visa, the spouse permit will supercede student permit.

ekhfaiz wrote:

30 credits has nothing to do with spouse visa....from where are you making that conclusion?

Finnbo is saying exactly what I said earlier, there is no conversion of visa. If you are on student visa and then during that time you receive spouse's visa, the spouse permit will supercede student permit.

You seem to have misunderstood what I said. 30 credits is not a requirement for spousal permit. However if you have a valid student permit and you are already in Sweden and want to apply for a spousal permit from inside Sweden without leaving than you need to complete at least 30 credits to beeligible to apply. Otherwise you can apply for spousal permit anytime but the first time application should be made from your home country. Attaching the link of the migration webpage :

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English … weden.html

If you already have a resi­dence permit
If you are already in Sweden with a valid residence permit, you may in certain cases receive a new residence permit without having to leave the country. This may apply to you if you have, for example,

a work permit
a permit as a self-employed person
a permit for studies and have completed at least 30 credits in university collage studies or one semester of postgraduate studies in Sweden.
a residence permit as a family member of a Swedish citizen, Nordic citizen or someone with a permanent residence permit
a residence permit as a family member of an employee with a residence permit, a self-employed person with a residence permit or a student with a residence permit for studies
applied for asylum and have received a temporary residence permit. It also applies to you if you have a temporary residence permit due to particularly or exceptionally distressing circumstances, or to impediments to enforcement. You must be able to prove your identity, for example with a national passport.

Have also put the info in bold