Won't be long till the tourists are back in Vietnam.

Looks like Vietnam will go the way of many other countries in the not too distant future. Fully vaccinated tourists to be allowed in after a seven day hotel quarantine. This measure will protect people from the disease as well as protect tourist businesses from going under. I think this is something the Vietnamese government really needs to get a grip on.

Hello

Can you send me a official link, where I can check is Vietnam consider Indian to fly and ready to give visa.

Actually I am looking to start my company operation there. So I will ask my company to send me Vietnam if its open.

Thanks

Never going to happen. Viet nam as of yesterday had barely vaccinwted 0.5% of the population and doesnt have enough vaccine doses to go round

Added to which 6-8 months later comes the headache of booster shots..

No tourists will never visit Vietnam if they have to do any quarantine.

Erikji wrote:

Thats a wide brush your painting with,, i have 3 friends in Australia who will come over as tourist as soon as VN opens,,, 14 days out of 3 months they dont care.

Andybris2020 wrote:
Erikji wrote:

Thats a wide brush your painting with,, i have 3 friends in Australia who will come over as tourist as soon as VN opens,,, 14 days out of 3 months they dont care.

Me too, can't wait to return to Vietnam, fully vaccinated and happy to quarantine if necessary.

Erikji wrote:

Andybris2020 wrote:

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Me too, can't wait to return to Vietnam, fully vaccinated and happy to quarantine if necessary.

There are 8 or 10 people who have written to me via PM expressing the same sentiment.  One week quarantine (the government's plan for fully vaccinated visitors) is not a deterrent to any of them.

But do not forget the quarantine, two weeks, at your return!  And what will happen if somebody on your flight is positive !!!! I'll already skip 2021 and partially 2022 for travelling outside VN.

Sobie wrote:

But do not forget the quarantine, two weeks, at your return!  And what will happen if somebody on your flight is positive !!!! I'll already skip 2021 and partially 2022 for travelling outside VN.

Can we please try to be positive, there is more than enough bad news.

Ciambella wrote:

There are 8 or 10 people who have written to me via PM expressing the same sentiment.  One week quarantine (the government's plan for fully vaccinated visitors) is not a deterrent to any of them.

Are these people really tourists in the traditional sense, that is people who stay for one week to a month, or are they planning on an extended stay?   Hawaii originally opened up to tourists from the US mainland with a 14 day in hotel quarantine and had very few takers.  It was only when rules were modified to allow for entry without quarantine , based on recent test results or proof of vaccination, that the numbers picked up. 

Realistically, nobody wants to spend a fourth of a one month vacation sitting in a hotel room.  People who intend to stay six months or more are another story.  My wife and I would probably somewhat reluctantly do the one week to be able to see her mother and siblings.   However, we would not be coming on tourist visas but on my VEC and her VN passport.  For those on tourist visas, hasn't the government indirectly shown a disinterest in long term tourism through the crackdowns on visa extensions?

THIGV wrote:

Are these people really tourists in the traditional sense, that is people who stay for one week to a month, or are they planning on an extended stay?   

For those on tourist visas, hasn't the government indirectly shown a disinterest in long term tourism through the crackdowns on visa extensions?

1- I don't know.  I receive many PMs asking for help on all kinds of issues so I usually just answer without dwelling into details.

2- Two officers at Immigration in Saigon told me in May 2020 to watch out for the crackdowns and changes on Immigration law.  Their feeling on the matter was that it's necessary to "clean house" once in a while.  IIRC, a long time member of this forum (Budman, perhaps?) said he saw that happened before.

My feeling is that long term tourism will not happen again even after the pandemic is over, but we may see 3 types of tourist visa as in Australia.  (For anyone who likes to compare VN visa policy with Thailand, please remember that VN has never emulated Thailand at anytime in history.)

Other than that, everyone who wants to stay here must have a specific purpose within a determined amount of time.

Who cares about quarantine.
I havent been able to see my viet family and friends for nearly 20 months now.
As soon as i can fly, I come to my second home one way.

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Are these people really tourists in the traditional sense, that is people who stay for one week to a month, or are they planning on an extended stay?   

For those on tourist visas, hasn't the government indirectly shown a disinterest in long term tourism through the crackdowns on visa extensions?

1- I don't know.  I receive many PMs asking for help on all kinds of issues so I usually just answer without dwelling into details.

2- Two officers at Immigration in Saigon told me in May 2020 to watch out for the crackdowns and changes on Immigration law.  Their feeling on the matter was that it's necessary to "clean house" once in a while.  IIRC, a long time member of this forum (Budman, perhaps?) said he saw that happened before.

My feeling is that long term tourism will not happen again even after the pandemic is over, but we may see 3 types of tourist visa as in Australia.  (For anyone who likes to compare VN visa policy with Thailand, please remember that VN has never emulated Thailand at anytime in history.)

Other than that, everyone who wants to stay here must have a specific purpose within a determined amount of time.

Thats sad,,, as huge amount of money is spent here by people coming and staying for extended time, some may eventually marry, invest, etc, excluding the backpacker english teachers there are many including myself that love the place and never want to leave.
To just ignore them is a real blow to the economy.

Andybris2020 wrote:

Thats sad,,, as huge amount of money is spent here by people coming and staying for extended time, some may eventually marry, invest, etc, excluding the backpacker english teachers there are many including myself that love the place and never want to leave.

They are not ignored. Anyone who wishes to change the category of his visa can do so under the existing law.

A tourist who wants to stays permanently (or as permanent as anything in life) can become an investor, a business owner, or marry a Vietnamese national.

Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

They are not ignored. Anyone who wishes to change the category of his visa can do so under the existing law.

A tourist who wants to stays permanently (or as permanent as anything in life) can become an investor, a business owner, or marry a Vietnamese national.

If they have 3billion spare :(

Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Ideally I would like to spend six months of the year in Vietnam with my Vietnamese girlfriend and then bring her to Ireland for six months. I don't understand why, but it seems that neither country will permit this. I have also been led to believe that even if we married the situation would not necessarily change.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Ideally I would like to spend six months of the year in Vietnam with my Vietnamese girlfriend and then bring her to Ireland for six months. I don't understand why, but it seems that neither country will permit this. I have also been led to believe that even if we married the situation would not necessarily change.

If you marry your girlfriend, you won't have any problem staying in Vietnam for 6 months or more at a time. 

OTOH, Irish Immigration law is complicated and difficult.  I tried to move there in 2000, ready to buy property plus had the required proof of finance, but they said no even though my husband is 1/4 Irish (his deceased grandmother was an Irish citizen, born and raised in Ireland.  He's dual Canadian and American.)  We moved to Italy instead.

Thank you for your reply, that is a little bit encouraging. The Irish situation is ridiculous, we pretend to be a welcoming country but in reality it is quite different. It seems that for a person from a developing country to get permission to stay here, you must be either wealthy or a refugee!
I love Italy, but interestingly I have several Italian friends who say Italy is great for a holiday but they would rather live in Ireland.

Ciambella wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

If you marry your girlfriend, you won't have any problem staying in Vietnam for 6 months or more at a time. 

OTOH, Irish Immigration law is complicated and difficult.  I tried to move there in 2000, ready to buy property plus had the required proof of finance, but they said no even though my husband is 1/4 Irish (his deceased grandmother was an Irish citizen, born and raised in Ireland.  He's dual Canadian and American.)  We moved to Italy instead.

I worked oil rig offshore Cork back in the day & liked crew change there, great bars & folk music & Murphy's Stout. I always remember a big like bolder going into Cork & on it in big bold writing was "BRITS OUT" Had some great nights out at the dog racing in Dublin too.
Also worked on & offshore Italy for 8 years & Italy takes the prize for me though. Really liked working there & the Italians have a relaxed outlook to life & work.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Thank you for your reply, that is a little bit encouraging. The Irish situation is ridiculous, we pretend to be a welcoming country but in reality it is quite different. It seems that for a person from a developing country to get permission to stay here, you must be either wealthy or a refugee!
I love Italy, but interestingly I have several Italian friends who say Italy is great for a holiday but they would rather live in Ireland.

I can understand the reluctance to accept people from a developing country, but I've had my American citizenship for 20 years already by the time I retired early and wanted to leave the US.  Although we're not wealthy, we were ready to purchase a house outright in Kinsale if our visa was accepted, and our income was 20% higher than required by Immigration.  Still, it's not meant to be.

France was my first choice, then Ireland, then Italy.  Husband said no to France.  Ireland said no to me.  Italy became the default, and we ended up having a wonderful 7 years living there in an 800-year-old house in a medieval (5th century) town.

Ciambella wrote:

Except, even as a spouse, one must LEAVE at least once a year, even if it is just across the border and back.  :(  That's using a VEC.  What is the "forever" one?

Ciambella wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

I can understand the reluctance to accept people from a developing country, but I've had my American citizenship for 20 years already by the time I retired early and wanted to leave the US.  Although we're not wealthy, we were ready to purchase a house outright in Kinsale if our visa was accepted, and our income was 20% higher than required by Immigration.  Still, it's not meant to be.

France was my first choice, then Ireland, then Italy.  Husband said no to France.  Ireland said no to me.  Italy became the default, and we ended up having a wonderful 7 years living there in an 800-year-old house in a medieval (5th century) town.

I loved my 3 years in France & can understand why you would want to live there (well certain parts) my house is in the Dordogne in a small town called Montignac Sur Vezere. (famous for the cave drawings at Lascaux) So wonderful, like stepping back in time & the people were very nice not like you see your typical French person described as, probably because Aquitaine was part of England at one time long ago. If ever I was going back to Europe it was always part of my plan to return there but Brexit scuppered that plan. The reason I like Da Lat so much is it reminds me of the Dordogne, the smell of pine trees, the hills, the relaxed life style. Anyone planning a holiday in France after Covid should definitely make the Dordogne part of their itinerary.

Can you tell me why your husband did not fancy France?

Travelfar wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Except, even as a spouse, one must LEAVE at least once a year, even if it is just across the border and back.  :(  That's using a VEC.  What is the "forever" one?

Marry & get a 5 year marriage TRC,  renew every 5 years.
Dont need to leave country.

Andybris2020 wrote:
Travelfar wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Marry & get a 5 year marriage TRC,  renew eveey 5 years.

Marriage TRCs are only good for 3 years, VECs last for 5 years and you must exit to keep it activated. Years ago you had to exit every 90 days on a VEC.

colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Travelfar wrote:

Marry & get a 5 year marriage TRC,  renew eveey 5 years.

Marriage TRCs are only good for 3 years, VECs last for 5 years and you must exit to keep it activated. Years ago you had to exit every 90 days on a VEC.

Ok, I though TRC was linked to same time as VEC,,,
I just checked online yep
Validity: no more than 03 years with multiple entry

Correct.
I have received my 'TT' code TRC from recent marriage.

TRC valid 3 years (border entry/exit in this period not required) but yearly register address with police is .

AB_Wayne wrote:

Correct.

TRC valid 3 years (border entry/exit in this period not required) but yearly register address with police is .

From what I read none of the above has any impact on letting tourists in. New VEC and TRC applications were suspended so even if you were eligible you couldn't get in

The biggest issue stopping the borders opening is the low number of vaccines available.. last figures reported was the aim of 930,000 vaccinations in HCM... With a population of 13 million. Why would they risk anytime soon letting people in?

Vaccination is like a primary goal for some. A friend.. who is Vietnamese have allergies... Advised by one center to go to hospital for the vaccine but will have to wait weeks. So she decided to go to a other center and lie that she have no allergy and hope for the best...

Jlgarbutt wrote:
AB_Wayne wrote:

Correct.

From what I read none of the above has any impact on letting tourists in. New VEC and TRC applications were suspended so even if you were eligible you couldn't get in

The biggest issue stopping the borders opening is the low number of vaccines available.. last figures reported was the aim of 930,000 vaccinations in HCM... With a population of 13 million. Why would they risk anytime soon letting people in?

Vaccination is like a primary goal for some. A friend.. who is Vietnamese have allergies... Advised by one center to go to hospital for the vaccine but will have to wait weeks. So she decided to go to a other center and lie that she have no allergy and hope for the best...

13 mill?
Ho Chi Minh City's 2021 population is now estimated at 8,837,544. thats off google where did the 13 mill figure come from?

GF read a post (VNEXPRESS) that vaccines for HCMC now gone?

Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
AB_Wayne wrote:

Correct.

13 mill?
Ho Chi Minh City's 2021 population is now estimated at 8,837,544. thats off google where did the 13 mill figure come from?

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc- … 37584.html

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

13 mill?

Rick

Just as we were leaving Ms My was told that all the vaccines had been used at our vaccine station & they started turning people away but said that after 2 days they would resume.

Budman1 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

13 mill?

Rick

Could have sworn I saw a story with the 13 million figure recently.. if I stumble across it I'll post it.

Even so nearly million is a big number compare to the projected vaccine plans..

Sure it's going to get better with time.. but it's going to be a long time before getting anywhere near opening borders.

goodolboy wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

13 mill?

Rick

Just as we were leaving Ms My was told that all the vaccines had been used at our vaccine station & they started turning people away but said that after 2 days they would resume.

That was always going to happen.. some districts still have vaccines spare.. depends how and where you register. Someone I know register in one ward bit have vaccine in another... Just complicates numbers required where and when

Jlgarbutt wrote:

A friend.. who is Vietnamese have allergies... Advised by one center to go to hospital for the vaccine but will have to wait weeks. So she decided to go to a other center and lie that she have no allergy and hope for the best...

Most of the allergic reactions to other vaccines had to do with the media that the diseases were cultured in not the viral particles themselves.  The most common problem as with regular flu shots is allergies to eggs.  Apparently there are allergic reactions to some of the adjuvants used in the mRNA shots.  CDC Link  Unfortunately nothing in this page about A-Z as it is not cleared in the US.

However note the paragraph near the end, if you have allergies from things that are not usually associated with vaccines such as "food, pet, venom, environmental, or latex allergies."  If she has these types of allergies, she should be OK.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

13 mill?

Rick

Could have sworn I saw a story with the 13 million figure recently.. if I stumble across it I'll post it.

Even so nearly million is a big number compare to the projected vaccine plans..

Sure it's going to get better with time.. but it's going to be a long time before getting anywhere near opening borders.

https://saigoneer.com/saigon-news/10985 … lion-mayor

Rick

Wikipedia states
“ The city's population is expected to grow to 13.9 million by 2025.[75] The population of the city is expanding faster than earlier predictions. In August 2017 the city's mayor, Nguyen Thanh Phong, admitted that previous estimates of 8–10 million were drastic underestimations.[76] The actual population (including those who have not officially registered) was estimated 13 million in 2017.[77] “

Several million workers and students fled Saigon to go back to their hometown, and spread the virus in the other provinces.

Travelfar wrote:

You can switch to TRC by marriage to avoid the once a year exit. 

If you want forever, then after 5 years of permanently reside here, you can apply for citizenship:

Article 19 of Nationality Law 2008

3. Those who acquire Vietnamese nationality must renounce their foreign nationality, except for those specified in Clause 2 of this Article, in special cases, if so permitted by the President.  (Clause 2:  a) Being the wife, husband, natural father, mother or natural child of a Vietnamese citizen.)

Ciambella wrote:
Travelfar wrote:

You can switch to TRC by marriage to avoid the once a year exit. 

If you want forever, then after 5 years of permanently reside here, you can apply for citizenship:

Article 19 of Nationality Law 2008

3. Those who acquire Vietnamese nationality must renounce their foreign nationality, except for those specified in Clause 2 of this Article, in special cases, if so permitted by the President.  (Clause 2:  a) Being the wife, husband, natural father, mother or natural child of a Vietnamese citizen.)

Renouncing your existing citizenship is the reason many dont apply for citizenship.

colinoscapee wrote:

Renouncing your existing citizenship is the reason many dont apply for citizenship.

If I read it correctly, then being married to a Vietnamese national or being a legal father to a child born in Vietnam with Vietnamese citizenship would make you an exception to Article 3 of that law, meaning no renunciation is required.

goodolboy wrote:

Can you tell me why your husband did not fancy France?

His experiences were only with large cities in France; all of them happened before we were married and all of them negative.  Therefore, when I presented to him the 3 choices, he immediately veto the first one.