Moving back to UK with my American husband

I am British, but currently living in the USA with my American husband. We plan to return to the UK soon and have him apply for a spouse visa. I know that one of the requirements for the Visa is me (the sponsor) having to earn at least £18,600 per year. I really don't have much work experience, other than cleaning. There are jobs I could get in London that would earn me enough to meet the minimum requirements, but I just wonder if they look at how much you spend on travel (I would be travelling there by train, which is expensive) and if that would go against me?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

My daughter just did this (albeit from another country); the real problem for them was coming up with the 3 years NHS payment - in total almost £6000 cash upfront at the time of applying.

To answer your question, how you get to work is not a question they ask you.  As long as you meet the salary requirements at the time of application and can prove it with bank statement, or payslips, it shouldn't be a problem.  The most common reasons for applications being refused are:

The minimum financial requirements (i.e income of £18,600 per year or saving £62,500) are not met
    Immigration officials believe your marriage is not genuine or subsisting
    You have submitted incorrect documentation
    The forms have not been filled out correctly
    The English language requirement is not met

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you very much for your reply! Wow, £6000 upfront for the NHS payments? I had no idea it was that much! That's great to know. Luckily we've been saving a lot in the meantime, so we should be okay with having to spend a huge amount on that.
And it's great to know they don't check how I get to work.

One other thing I wondered about - and perhaps you might know - is if it's possible to have two jobs to make up the £18,600? Like you say, they just want to see proof that you're earning that much, so maybe (and hopefully) that would be a possible option.

Hi again.

To clarify and I apologise for not being clearer, it was £2,000 for the visa and £4,000 for the NHS upfront payment.  None of those is negotiable.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team