Travelling Out of Vietnam as an Expat

Hi,

I'm an expat living in HCMC and since we are all confined to our homes, I was exploring the possibility of travelling back to switzerland to go live with my paents and work from home there just for the time that covid calms down here.
My company told me that I would lose my Visa if I exit Vietnam during this period.
Those that mean that I can't even take 2 weeks vacation out of Vietnam without losing my Visa?
Could someone try to explain to me why?

Before Covid, you could leave the country and return only on a multiple entry visa.  If it's a single entry visa, then once you left, you were not allowed to return.  Why?  Because the visa indicated so.  Your vacation is not Immigration's concern.

Now, if you go back to Switzerland, you cannot return to VN until all borders are open.  And even then, if your visa is not multiple entry or if it is but it's already expired, you cannot return either.  Your return to Switzerland now will be considered a repatriation, i.e. you're leaving VN for good.

If your visa is through your company (tied in with your work permit), then you'll lose it when you no longer fulfill the work requirements.  Is working remotely from Switzerland part of the agreement?

That's the thing, usually (if we take away the covid situation) I'm allowed to travel and go back to switzerland without a problem and not losing my Visa.
But apparently the situation is different because of the quarantine. I just can't find any informations about this particular situation. My Visa should be multiple entries as I can go on vacation for two weeks wherever without a problem. But apparently right now I am not able to leave the country without losing my Visa. I just find this weird.

afrost wrote:

That's the thing, usually (if we take away the covid situation) I'm allowed to travel and go back to switzerland without a problem and not losing my Visa.
But apparently the situation is different because of the quarantine. I just can't find any informations about this particular situation. My Visa should be multiple entries as I can go on vacation for two weeks wherever without a problem. But apparently right now I am not able to leave the country without losing my Visa. I just find this weird.

In the middle of a global pandemic you find it weird that you can go on holiday really? just about every country on the globe is in lockdown and has closed it's borders and you wish to pop home to visit mummy and then come back through a closed border?

Think you need to have a look on google on whats going on in the world and why you cant pop home at the moment, there are husbands and wives stuck in just about every country trying to get back to Vietnam since last March to their familys who are way ahead of you in the line to get in to Vietnam if you leave.

Andybris2020 wrote:
afrost wrote:

In the middle of a global pandemic you find it weird that you can go on holiday really? just about every country on the globe is in lockdown and has closed it's borders and you wish to pop home to visit mummy and then come back through a closed border?

Think you need to have a look on google on whats going on in the world and why you cant pop home at the moment, there are husbands and wives stuck in just about every country trying to get back to Vietnam since last March to their familys who are way ahead of you in the line to get in to Vietnam if you leave.

:lol: thats gotta be a wind up

afrost wrote:

But we can't take away the Covid situation.  The timeline of modern world history is now divided into pre-Covid, during-Covid, and one day, post-Covid. You cannot take away something that has been affecting the entire world for almost two years now, and will continue to affect it for perhaps another year with this new strain. 

afrost wrote:

But apparently the situation is different because of the quarantine.

Bingo!

afrost wrote:

I just can't find any informations about this particular situation.

Do you mean you cannot find info on how to go home to live with your parents for a year or so, then return to Vietnam, pick up your job and your visa as if nothing happened?  There isn't any info because no one expects anyone to think that not being able to take vacation during the pandemic is such a problem that he has to search for information and help online.

Wake up!  Something has happened to the world, and you are a member of the world, albeit a totally uninformed member.  Still, when the world changes, you must change with it, not expect it to stay the same just for you.

afrost wrote:

My Visa should be multiple entries as I can go on vacation for two weeks wherever without a problem. But apparently right now I am not able to leave the country without losing my Visa. I just find this weird.

Millions of people have died in the last 21 months because of this pandemic.  Millions of people are still in hospital because of this pandemic.  Millions of people have lost their jobs, their homes, their marriages, the relationships with their loved ones because of this pandemic.  Millions of people are living on the streets because of this pandemic.  The world will never be the same again.  Do you think the word "weird" would even enter anyone's head when they talk about what they're going through?  No.  The words they use would be destructive, disastrous, catastrophic, abominable, horrendous, etc. "Weird" would not describe anyone's life right now, so if the only thing you have to face in the last 21 months is the weirdness of not being able to back to go back to Switzerland to live with your parents, to work from the comfort of their home, then to return to Vietnam and your job when things "calm down", then you should count yourself a fortunate person.

A fortunate but very insensitive and exceedingly clueless person.

goodolboy wrote:

:lol: thats gotta be a wind up

:nothappy:

Didn't mean to create that kind of reaction guys :D And by the way it wouldn't be to take a vacation it would be to work from home from switzerland instead of here where I'm all alone in a small apartment. Even more it is really judgemental of you to asume my situation without knowing more than the little I told you about it.

I know that a lot of people are in way worse condition than I am I was just asking a question to get more informations about it. No need to take it that way.

Thank you anyways for the people that were willing to help :) I should have known better than ask for informations on internet ^^

afrost wrote:

Didn't mean to create that kind of reaction guys :D And by the way it wouldn't be to take a vacation it would be to work from home from switzerland instead of here where I'm all alone in a small apartment. Even more it is really judgemental of you to asume my situation without knowing more than the little I told you about it.

I know that a lot of people are in way worse condition than I am I was just asking a question to get more informations about it. No need to take it that way.

Thank you anyways for the people that were willing to help :) I should have known better than ask for informations on internet ^^

If you have been in VN for any time since March last year you would know the borders are closed, if you leave you know full well you cant come back until borders are open, you also know because you work here that you have a contract that your visa is connected to you working in VN.

Common sense should tell you without asking "the internet" the only flights are repatriation as was pointed out so your company was correct,, leave and you break your contract ,,, see you later and they move on an get someone that comes in everyday like they employed you to do in the first place.

Lonely? Buy a pet or find one of the millions of cute VN girls tripping over to find a nice guy, you can spend all your spare lonely hrs on Badoo, Tinder etc chatting to find the woman of your dreams,,,,,

Install zalo, whatsapp, viber, messenger, skype or any chat app and video call your parents,,, works for the 98 mill VN who also cant pop over to visit their relitives.

Until then suck it up princess this is the second time we have been through all this lock down and you will find that sympathy is in real short supply on "the Internet".

afrost wrote:

If you have been in VN for any time since March last year you would know the borders are closed, if you leave you know full well you cant come back until borders are open, you also know because you work here that you have a contract that your visa is connected to you working in VN.

Depends on your visa/TRC. i have left VN 2 times and entered 3 times during Covid. all on my TRC. however if you leave without your company approval and agreement they can cancel your TRC

If you are on a business visa you will have to apply for a new one to come back in as an expert under the current rules in place.

stevescoots wrote:

Depends on your visa/TRC. i have left VN 2 times and entered 3 times during Covid. all on my TRC. however if you leave without your company approval and agreement they can cancel your TRC

If you are on a business visa you will have to apply for a new one to come back in as an expert under the current rules in place.

He already stated

My company told me that I would lose my Visa if I exit Vietnam during this period

You can get some very good advice here. One thing that might help you get better advice is a better description of your visa: what category, length of stay, multiple entries, and if you also have a TRC.

I would suggest you also check with whoever is telling you your visa would be cancelled what they really mean by that and why the terms of your visa may have changed- a company decision, a government decision, or something else.

Borders are still closed for commercial flights and I believe currently all are repatriation flights for returning locals. Even outside those need seek approvals and take queues for diplomats, investors, experts sponsored by influential entities like Samsung (you get the gist). So stay patient in this pleasant country time being...

It's clearly written on the face of your visa if it's single or multiple. These are extraordinary times so the ordinary rules don't apply. I've held a multiple-entry DN visa for 4 years w/ annual renewals; now I can only get 3-month extensions since June 2021. If you decide to leave don't plan on coming back anytime soon unless your company rates you as a qualified expert, essential employee & agrees to sponsor you for a new DN visa & TRC. All the comments, even the sarcastic ones, are only telling you to be realistic.

afrost wrote:

indeed. such passive-aggressive people run this Forum.
(and what happened to @simplysaigon's post?)

fred2796 wrote:

His post was removed and he's banned for insulting a member of this forum without cause.  Not very wisely, he did it in his first and only post!   :/

That brings me to your comment of "such passive-aggresive people run this forum".  Same as simplysaigon, you need to spend more than 16 days on this forum before garnering enough knowledge to criticise the team of people who run it.

The first rule of every Internet forum is that one should not be unpleasant to the host when one has yet to prove one's worth.

Ciambella wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

His post was removed and he's banned for insulting a member of this forum without cause.  Not very wisely, he did it in his first and only post!   :/

That brings me to your comment of "such passive-aggresive people run this forum".  Same as simplysaigon, you need to spend more than 16 days on this forum before garnering enough knowledge to criticise the team of people who run it.

The first rule of every Internet forum is that one should not be unpleasant to the host when one has yet to prove one's worth.

0h, he has spent more than 16 days here...but not under this username.
  ;)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

0h, he has spent more than 16 days here...but not under this username.
  ;)

I did sense that.  I also sensed that simplysaigon was his alter ego, because that post existed for mere minutes before it was pulled; I doubt anyone had a chance to read it, not even the member whom the post attacked.  But somehow, he knew about it and was concerned enough to make an inquiry.

afrost wrote:

Hi,

I'm an expat living in HCMC and since we are all confined to our homes, I was exploring the possibility of travelling back to switzerland to go live with my paents and work from home there just for the time that covid calms down here.
My company told me that I would lose my Visa if I exit Vietnam during this period.
Those that mean that I can't even take 2 weeks vacation out of Vietnam without losing my Visa?
Could someone try to explain to me why?

U can post n try to get some infor here as they hv a huge pool of expats who access the site
https://aseannow.com/forum/348-vietnam- … migration/

The forum was called Thai Visa before the name change to asean now

I stayed in HCMC for only 4 months on a business visa and it expired and decided to leave Vietnam permanently a few weeks ago. I arrived at the worst time when this fourth wave was happening, had to qurantine for 3 weeks upon arrival and things just started getting worse from there. I figured this situation is definitely not getting any better and will last up until end of the year at least and I made the decision to leave permanently.
I will never return and I am fine with that because Vietnam has now ruined their reputation. There is a mass exodus of foreigners leaving the country every day for obvious reasons.
You either have two choices, do what I did and leave permanently or wait it out under the current extreme lockdown. I think there really is no other way around this unfortunately.

Ben Davis wrote:

I stayed in HCMC for only 4 months on a business visa and it expired and decided to leave Vietnam permanently a few weeks ago. I arrived at the worst time when this fourth wave was happening, had to qurantine for 3 weeks upon arrival and things just started getting worse from there. I figured this situation is definitely not getting any better and will last up until end of the year at least and I made the decision to leave permanently.
I will never return and I am fine with that because Vietnam has now ruined their reputation. There is a mass exodus of foreigners leaving the country every day for obvious reasons.
You either have two choices, do what I did and leave permanently or wait it out under the current extreme lockdown. I think there really is no other way around this unfortunately.

Comes across a little bit bitter. Where did you return to ?

As for the comment about Vietnam ruining expectations I'm sure where ever you returned to is probably worse off.

w/o knowing your situation and back-story, is impossible to comment

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Ben Davis wrote:

As for the comment about Vietnam ruining expectations I'm sure where ever you returned to is probably worse off.

It appears that he returned to Australia which has some draconian measures in place to solve the Covid problem. I'm happy he is where he is now and won't return.

pogiwayne wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Ben Davis wrote:

It appears that he returned to Australia which has some draconian measures in place to solve the Covid problem. I'm happy he is where he is now and won't return.

Australias system may be draconian to many, but with only 1000 covid deaths compared to the USA's 648,000, I know which one I prefer.

colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Australias system may be draconian to many, but with only 1000 covid deaths compared to the USA's 648,000, I know which one I prefer.

There are many reasons why the Covid deaths are lower in Australia. Population, immigration policies, travel costs, poplulation density, many many things. A real comparison can't be made.
I was making the comment because of their apparent dislike of Vietnam and the policies. If someone comes to a country for work or to live they MUST accept the Country and the policies.
I have lived in New Zealand and visited Australia many times. I love both places but Covid has changed the world we live in and we all must accept reality.

Quick to judge and assume due to your own subconscious bias. I am in the UK and glad to be back here since it is opening again due to almost 80% of the population now being fully vaccinated.
And I agree in that if one goes to another country to live and work they should accept the countries policies, but that's only if they decide to stay. But I did not accept their extreme reactionary measures and hence decided to leave.
Hard lockdowns in these circumstances are a failure of governments to circumvent the situation prior to it even happening. All world governments failed in how they handled covid but at least the western countries have the resources to produce their own vaccines and to go back to some sort of normalcy. Who do you think has been donating mass vaccines to Vietnam lately? Hmmm, I wonder...
But if you love Vietnam so much  have fun being banned from leaving your house for another few months whilst I will enjoy my freedom again in a democratic country.

Ben Davis wrote:

Quick to judge and assume due to your own subconscious bias. I am in the UK and glad to be back here since it is opening again due to almost 80% of the population now being fully vaccinated.
And I agree in that if one goes to another country to live and work they should accept the countries policies, but that's only if they decide to stay. But I did not accept their extreme reactionary measures and hence decided to leave.
Hard lockdowns in these circumstances are a failure of governments to circumvent the situation prior to it even happening. All world governments failed in how they handled covid but at least the western countries have the resources to produce their own vaccines and to go back to some sort of normalcy. Who do you think has been donating mass vaccines to Vietnam lately? Hmmm, I wonder...
But if you love Vietnam so much  have fun being banned from leaving your house for another few months whilst I will enjoy my freedom again in a democratic country.

Sorry while agreeing with some of your comments, like that some countries have the resources to produce their own vac's, all you have to do is look at the freedom protest to see that "freedom" is not a given in other countries outside Vietnam, Australia is in lockdown and being painted as a draconian place to be, Victorians are fuming with protests outside fleming station and truckers have had enough and have blocked roads, Paris has had several weekends of protests and UK has had freedom protests plus heaps of other countries UK are even thinking about MAKING children have vac's and removing the rights of parents if they don't agree to let their child get a shot now that's real western "freedom".

Back in UK and glad to be back - Profile says Australia did you go back to UK or Australia?

You 100% would not have "been glad to leave Vietnam" if you went back to Australia N.S.W. got locked down because of 3 deaths hardly the "freedom" you say the west has and Vietnam does not.

Hey if you did go back to Australia at the moment they are shooting dogs rather than let people adopt them,,, "western freedom" in full view.

With only 4 months under your belt and commenting on a country that in my personal view and those of many on this forum Vietnam has been very good at looking after us westerners, locals have fed westerners in need, my GF & I have both been given equal treatment with vaccines, we get free rice bags of greens, frequent updates from the ward people, some apartments are getting free food bags.

People are getting assistance if they are affected by covid and no work, we were given paperwork to fill in because we could not sell, at no time did they ask if there was a westerner in the house so help withdrawn.

Locals ask daily if we need anything that they have managed to source something we want.

I think you have a tainted view for some reason as another poster said, the glad to be back in UK and profile saying your Australian is not a small error as I was born in UK and the emigrated to Australia I certainly know the difference between the 2 countries and would not mix them up, so a curious thing to say.

Like I've pointed out UK & Australia both have people protesting in the street over their lockdown rules so looks like your out of the frying pan into the fire.

Ben Davis wrote:

Glad to be back in the UK where 80% of the population ha been vaccinated.. sure a good sign, and yet the numbers of new cases each day are still 30,000+ and feathers approaching the triple digit stage again.

England is doing well in the vaccine numbers but still doesn't have covid under control and risks running out of resources. The NHS is at breaking point along with social care.. the answer.. raise taxes.

It's. It all rosy back in England by any stretch of the imagination, lockdown didn't provide the herd immunity bojo hoped for so now it's save the economy time.. hope number don't spike again.

Now there is a username of a well adjusted expat, he probably punches flight attendants.

I got a snip of the content in the email, dayum! poor admins  :sosad:

gobot wrote:

I got a snip of the content in the email, dayum! poor admins  :sosad:

He's a repeat offender, another screen name and fake profile from a poster who has been banned so many times before and as recently as last week.

I may be misinterpreting but are people talking as if the higher vaccination rates in other countries compared to Vietnam are a matter of policy differences?  Does anyone really believe that Vietnam willingly chose lockdowns over vaccination?   I am sure that if both the money and the vaccines had been available earlier, Vietnam would have one of the highest vaccine compliance rates in the world.  Covering some of the rural areas might have proved difficult but even that would have gotten done.

THIGV wrote:

I may be misinterpreting but are people talking as if the higher vaccination rates in other countries compared to Vietnam are a matter of policy differences?  Does anyone really believe that Vietnam willingly chose lockdowns over vaccination?   I am sure that if both the money and the vaccines had been available earlier, Vietnam would have one of the highest vaccine compliance rates in the world.  Covering some of the rural areas might have proved difficult but even that would have gotten done.

I think its all about the money. Viet Nam had a chance to purchase when the rate of infection was low and they didnt. This has now been acknowledged by certain high-ranking officials. The reason behind this is that a govt owned company was in the process of developing its own vaccine. Put two and two together and its easy to figure out what has happened.

I think Vietnam was like some other countries that in the early days had minuscule Covid   infection numbers & deaths & probably thought as far as they were concerned if you dont have a major Covid problem why bother. In the early days I used to think WOW its amazing & a mystery they must have some sort of built in immunity to the Virus. At that time I lived in Q12 right beside the main road going into central HCMC & beside some major factories & even although in the early days they said there was a lock down where I lived it was life as normal, the roads every morning were chock a block, the park was full, the karaoke places & the beer & BBQ places were full & still the Covid numbers were very very  low & no one at that time were vaccinated. So something drastically changed this time & the Government were caught out & to be honest I can understand & sympathise why they got caught out.

But lets get real here its not like Vietnam & even HCMC is seeing the kind of numbers anything like some other countries & with the lock down in place now the daily numbers seem to have steadied in the range of 10,000 to 12,000 for the whole country.
For me once the old & vulnerable are fully vaccinated there is no need for full lock downs to be in place but one thing I did see & experience was there was no policy followed through to vaccinate the old & vulnerable first. After the first liners & some others were vaccinated it was basically every man or woman for themselves. When I got my vaccine there were far more young people at the front of the line than elderly that's for sure. In saying this I am not trying to be critical because as a foreigner I am very grateful to Vietnam & my neighbours in particular for making sure I had the vaccine just pointing out what I saw & have seen from my experience.

"For me once the old & vulnerable are fully vaccinated there is no need for full lock downs to be in place but one thing I did see & experience was there was no policy followed through to vaccinate the old & vulnerable first."

Exactly. My neighbors are both 50 years old and have been vaccinated. Yet, there are numerous elderly people here who havent been done. Im 60-years old and received nothing. Spoke to a guy in Dong Xoai, Binh Phuoc, he is 22 years old and has been vaccinated.As usual there is no uniformity, its organised chaos as per everything here.

THIGV wrote:

I may be misinterpreting but are people talking as if the higher vaccination rates in other countries compared to Vietnam are a matter of policy differences?  Does anyone really believe that Vietnam willingly chose lockdowns over vaccination?

Yes.

And it wasn't just due to the reasons others such as Colin had mentioned.

There was a strong sense that Vietnam could put off the inevitable until they themselves were able to develop a vaccine in Vietnam.

So even giving your scenario where they might have had all the money and all of the access to vaccine they could manage, I think it's very likely they would have made the same choice to go with zero tolerance until a homegrown vaccine could be developed.

I don't think they ever had as high an opinion of vaccines from other countries as you do.

colinoscapee wrote:

Exactly. My neighbors are both 50 years old and have been vaccinated. Yet, there are numerous elderly people here who havent been done. Im 60-years old and received nothing. Spoke to a guy in Dong Xoai, Binh Phuoc, he is 22 years old and has been vaccinated.As usual there is no uniformity, its organised chaos as per everything here.

My niece has been filing complaints with medical authority in BR-VT about us not being vaccinated despite being long past 65, with heart disease (husband), on the national registration for 5+ months, and the local registration for 6+ weeks.  Same response every time:  "Next batch."  I don't know what their definition of "next" is but this current batch is #8 in BR-VT already.

OTOH, all 120 adults in my extended family in Saigon have been *fully* vaccinated with AZ, Moderna, or Pfizer.

Thats not good, as you know we live in Phu Nhuan and like you say here is totally different, the old lady across street has had her 2 weeks ago, im 62 ive had 1st one so has GF, plus all of her family.

Bit disappointed that 65+ and those in high risk havnt been put first in your area.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Ben Davis wrote:

Glad to be back in the UK where 80% of the population ha been vaccinated.. sure a good sign, and yet the numbers of new cases each day are still 30,000+ and feathers approaching the triple digit stage again.

England is doing well in the vaccine numbers but still doesn't have covid under control and risks running out of resources. The NHS is at breaking point along with social care.. the answer.. raise taxes.

It's. It all rosy back in England by any stretch of the imagination, lockdown didn't provide the herd immunity bojo hoped for so now it's save the economy time.. hope number don't spike again.

And now the candidate who said no to any changes to civil libertys, now mandates no jab no job its gone from "life liberty & the pursuit of happiness" to "life libery & the pursuit of a supreme court case"

Andybris2020 wrote:

Thats not good, as you know we live in Phu Nhuan and like you say here is totally different, the old lady across street has had her 2 weeks ago, im 62 ive had 1st one so has GF, plus all of her family.

Bit disappointed that 65+ and those in high risk havnt been put first in your area.

65 + & high risk have not been prioritised in any area & if you think that an old lady getting her first vaccine 2 weeks ago has put her in some priority list.....well I will say no more other than the vaccine for non front liners has been rolled out in HCMC for more than 6 weeks now.