Making a move to NL.

Hi folks,

I am thinking of making a move to  NL and have received a Job offer with a base of 95K euros including holiday allowance, plus 15% bonus pay.
I am trying to figure out if this is good enough for a family of 3 considering high rentals and kids education.  My calculation says it's good enough but an expert advice is highly appreciated.

Secondly, it's a permanent/full time role, but what I have been offered is an initial  contract for a year making it permanent later and informed that this is a norm in NL.

Does anyone here know about any such rule/norm?

Regards
Devon

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The salary level is certainly sufficient for a family of 3; it will of course depend very much on your lifestyle.

Work contracts are normally broken down into small segments such as you describe; employers do it to get around Dutch employment law requirements if they have to get rid of staff in the future.  The norm at the moment is 7 months, with an option to extend at that point, which makes me think that perhaps I should warn you about scammers, these are people who offer you the dream job on a good salary, but ask you for money upfront to pay for your visa expenses or similar, you haven't mentioned this, but I think it's important enough to make you aware of these people.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,
Thanks a lot for your response. That's helpful.

The organization is one of the world's leading converged video, broadband and communications companies. So not worried about any scam as such. But thanks for warning me of such cases.

It's just that I was bit surprised to hear about the initial contract from HR when the offer was made as there was no mention about it during the hiring process. All discussions were based on a permanent role. So thought of checking in this forum.

Thanks again

Regards
Devon