Designated covid hotel

Hi,

I am travelling to Malta this Wednesday from Spain to continue my studies there. I am not vaccinated yet, so I got a PCR test and I am ready to quarantine for 14 days.

The problem is that, if I read the confusing regulations correctly, it seems like I will have to pay 100€ per night to stay a designated hotel for that period instead of going to the apartment I was going to rent.

I called the Public Health authorities and they said I just had to send an email to [email protected] asking for permission to undergo quarantine in a different address, and that it was possible even if I don't have Maltese residency. But after I did so I was sent an email saying I will have to pay for the hotel.

Is anyone else in this situation? It's so weird because I haven't found a single post asking or complaining about it, even though there must be other unvaccinated people planning on going to Malta. Is the government not actually enforcing these laws or what?

I would appreciate any help with this because I simply don't have 1400€ to pay for the hotel.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lots of complaints and posting about it on Facebook, this group tend to be more full of people settling long term - of which right now mid pandemic there isnt a lot.

Would have thought it was better to come here once you have been vaccinated.