San Miguel to Laredo Texas

Does anyone knows the best way? I don't like the flights schedules thus I am planning to fly to the border and catch a cab to Laredo Texas. Is this even safe to do?

Paul123 wrote:

Does anyone knows the best way? I don't like the flights schedules thus I am planning to fly to the border and catch a cab to Laredo Texas. Is this even safe to do?

Well Paul that depends on the current border crossing agenda. If you have done what is required to enter the U.S. you should be fine. But I'm not sure about the taxi it might be better to rent a car.

Yes, I want to go there.

I think you misunderstood the safety concerns in the region. Recently, some Americans were kidnapped on the same road. In fact, many people have disappeared there, renting a car would make the trip even more unsafe.

Paul123 wrote:

I think you misunderstood the safety concerns in the region. Recently, some Americans were kidnapped on the same road. In fact, many people have disappeared there, renting a car would make the trip even more unsafe.

So you feel a taxi is safer in an area where you have information that says that is an unsafe crossing. Why would you want to cross at an unsafe crossing at all ? The usual Texas crossings have always been riskier. Changing the form of transport doesn't change that.

My wife and I crossed at the Texas Del Rio border on July 16th. We travelled up to Saltillo and had no problems whatsoever. rt 29 than to rt 57. I believe they are both toll roads. We crossed and they didn't even ask to see any documents, including Passports. We had two dogs with us and they said nothing.  We applied and received temp resident visa's so we had to visit the FMM office at the Mexico side of the border in the city of Acuna. We stayed overnight in Saltillo and finished the last leg to San Miguel de Allende the next day.

When was that done and how long did the second leg take ? Are you permanent residence now or are you going to do the four year temperature thing and then try for permanent residency

Three weeks ago. Saltillo to San Miguel de Allende was about a six hour drive. We currently have a one year lease at a beautiful house, monthly rent..... $650. All smiles. Were taking it year by year.

My wife and I (and two dogs) are thinking about spending some time in SMA. Any recommendations on how or who to contact for a house rental?
Hi jsj618,

Welcome to expat.com!

This is quite an old and inactive thread. If you have questions about San Miguel de Allende, feel free to create a new conversation on the San Miguel de Allende forum.

Vero
Equipe expat.com