Coming to Serbia

Hello,
I am a retired journalist from Michigan. I am coming to Serbia this fall to marry and live with my Serbian fiancee in Belgrade. I think life in Serbia will be great.

I do wonder how Americans transfer money from banks in the states to Serbia. Is it difficult?

I also wonder how much of each year I need to return to the U.S. to retain American citizenship?

I'm sure I will have more questions later. But this is my first post.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I am from Texas and have lived in Europe as a civilian since 1991.You can not loose your citizenship. I have not been back to the USA since 2000. Just renew your passport at the Embassy. I have been in Serbia since 2006. If you have any questions pm me.

Dale

I'm not sure about transferring from the states but I can't imagine that it's any different than from the UK.
You can open a standard Serbian dinar (rsd) account and you can also open a foreign account (or several) in your preferred currency which I'm guessing would be dollars?
A word of warning though, whilst you can withdraw dollars from your account with no charges incurred, if you make a payment from your USD account, even though you might pay in USD (i.e. to an American company) you will incur charges because it leaves your Serbian USD account, get's converted into euros and then gets converted at the other end once again from euros to USD.
I've been stung a couple of times.

Transferring funds from the US to Serbia is simple once you have the account info (IBAN and BIC). But, several banks do not want American customers due to the reporting requirements the fees will not be cheap.