Looking for apartment lease in SP

I'm planning to relocate to SP from the US in late Fall early Winter this year.

I'm looking for 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (with or without furniture) apartment.

I'm looking for landlord who has US bank account so I can pay for rent by transferring money from my company's US bank account to landlord's US bank account.

Lease period is 1 year and month to month after.

My budget is $700 - $800 a month (including all local taxes and HOA). 

This apartment is for transition period. I will buy my apartment after transition period (after receiving my permanent residency, opening a bank account etc.)

Not sure just where you are looking, you might be more specific as to if the state of SP or the city, and if the city, what area.  However, either way, you might be better off using an Airbnb as most landlords in Brazil use an annual or biennial lease, we do, with pretty stiff penalties for early departure. In any case, good luck to you with your relocation!

rraypo wrote:

Not sure just where you are looking, you might be more specific as to if the state of SP or the city, and if the city, what area.  However, either way, you might be better off using an Airbnb as most landlords in Brazil use an annual or biennial lease, we do, with pretty stiff penalties for early departure. In any case, good luck to you with your relocation!

I'm looking for apartment in the city (capital), in Barra Funda or surrounding bairros.

I will try Airbnb.

Californian.in.SP wrote:
rraypo wrote:

I'm looking for apartment in the city (capital), in Barra Funda or surrounding bairros.

I will try Airbnb.

_____
I stay about 2 blocks from the São Camilo Hospital, in Pompeia, right up the hill from Barra Funda station. I walk to the mall almost every day when I am there. I think that is one of the nicest shopping centers in SP. Also quite close to the PF office for immigration.  We have another person on here too in that area.

Hey there,

have you tried services like https://housi.com or https://www.quintoandar.com.br ?

Housi are serviced flat all around São Paulo, basically like airbnb. A friend of mine stayed with them next to Avenida Paulista.

For myself, I use airbnb, found a nice studio next to Copan for 300 us$/month.

Good luck

I hope you mentioned USD 700 to USD 800, because with R$ 700 to R$ 800 you can't score didly squat on your search, unless you can opt to live dangerously.

Seriously.

At USD 800, your are liable to get something to rent by something closer to downtown on a decent 2BR with 800 sf.  I am using a R$ 4,000, all inclusive rate. 

Forget Jardins, forget Itaim Bibi, forget around Avenida Paulista, forget Moema, though luck with Pinheiros.   

On that money you are good for.....

Santa Cecilia ( poor man's Higienopolis )
Vila Buarque ( same . this one and the former are artsy fartsy neighborhoods )
Bela Vista ( the lower part closer to downtown )
Bom Retiro ( Garment district, actually you can get huuuge apartments out there for so little. They haven't sold the Synagogue, which is a good omen )
Campos Eliseos ( the good part, btw, a lot of orthodox ones live out there, not bad at all  ).
Upper Cambuci ( poor man's Aclimacao, actually great curbside appeal )
Possibly Mooca , defnetively Agua Rasa and Quarta Parado ( you will learn how not to speak correct Portuguese mismatching all nouns , but you will be ok ). Great place for pastries, bread, and italian Food.
Maybe the nicer part of Tatuape ( Vila Gomes Cardim )
Liberdade ( Once a Japanese holdover, it is turning out to become Chinatown )
Possibly, a clean but bare amenities in Perdizes. 
Agua Branca, Vila Romana, Barra Funda.

And I own a decent place in Santo Andre.  Single family home. btw. Front lawn, backyard. Upscale neighborhood.

sprealestatebroker wrote:

I hope you mentioned USD 700 to USD 800, because with R$ 700 to R$ 800 you can't score didly squat on your search, unless you can opt to live dangerously.

Seriously.

At USD 800, your are liable to get something to rent by something closer to downtown on a decent 2BR with 800 sf.  I am using a R$ 4,000, all inclusive rate. 

Forget Jardins, forget Itaim Bibi, forget around Avenida Paulista, forget Moema, though luck with Pinheiros.   

On that money you are good for.....

Santa Cecilia ( poor man's Higienopolis )
Vila Buarque ( same . this one and the former are artsy fartsy neighborhoods )
Bela Vista ( the lower part closer to downtown )
Bom Retiro ( Garment district, actually you can get huuuge apartments out there for so little. They haven't sold the Synagogue, which is a good omen )
Campos Eliseos ( the good part, btw, a lot of orthodox ones live out there, not bad at all  ).
Upper Cambuci ( poor man's Aclimacao, actually great curbside appeal )
Possibly Mooca , defnetively Agua Rasa and Quarta Parado ( you will learn how not to speak correct Portuguese mismatching all nouns , but you will be ok ). Great place for pastries, bread, and italian Food.
Maybe the nicer part of Tatuape ( Vila Gomes Cardim )
Liberdade ( Once a Japanese holdover, it is turning out to become Chinatown )
Possibly, a clean but bare amenities in Perdizes. 
Agua Branca, Vila Romana, Barra Funda.

_____
Granted, it's a small 1br apartment, but we own a rental on Frei Caneca, two blocks off of Ave Paulista, and it only rents for R$1,300/month

That and the condo assoc due plus property tax.   

Assuming you are talking at least 350 sf.

And btw...

Studios are renting cheap, lots of tenants turned in keys when COVID came busting...

At the Copan alone, last year,   ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sfu25Hi6a1wpJkpq5 )
at least 25 units had returned keys and lease cancelations. 

And between you, me , and the rest on this forum...

Someone at the  City Tax Clerk's Office fell asleep, because I was able do download over a million property entries, with deed names, before they wised up..

What I found, is that most of those freshly minted studios they were  "selling hands over fist" were actually piles of unsold inventory.  Call it future cash flow projections.

We are not talking a 10% residual inventory the developer keeps for retirement, we are looking rather at  50-85% unsold units, which they want an arm and a leg for it, and have the straight face to tell us their inventory is dry. 

That is a reason I do not waste my time with the new stuff anymore.  I go for the cheap good stuff.

If you are going to use Quinto Andar, I recommend you plug their name on reclameaqui dot com dot br and see what comes out.

And Housi is owned by Frankel, the same dude who owns Vitacon, a Real Estate  Development Firm selling pint sized studios. 

I've seen my fair shar of them.  Tiny, overpriced matchboxes with lots of fancy ammenities.

Barra Funda, just avoid the lower Barra Funda, known as Varzea da Barra and Parque Thomas Edison.
Lots of folks call those Barra Funda, which is completely innacurate.

You want to be at least South of Rua Norma Pieruccini  Gianotti, ideally south of the rail tracks, the Real Barra Funda, Or else, you are at peril of rain floods.     If you are on the line, you are already on the flood zone. 

You want to be on.....

Rua Vitorino Carmilo
Rua Barra Funda
Rua Brigadeiro Galvao
Rua Lopes Chaves
Rua Conselheiro Brotero
Rua Lopes de Oliveira.
Rua Margarida
Largo Pericles

and while at it, consider Campos Eliseos above Avenida Rio Branco towards the  Avenida General Olimpio da Silveira, and from the rail tracks at the end of Alameda Barao de Limeira up to Alameda Nothmann. 

That includes...
Alameda Eduardo Prado
Rua Conselheiro Nebias ( away from Santa Ifigenia )
Rua Guaianaes  ( away from Santa Ifigenia )
Alameda Ribeiro da Silva.

Stay as far as you can from
Alameda Dino Bueno
Alameda Cleveland
Rua Helvetia. at least for now. 

and on the subject....

Consider Bom Retiro, upper side.
Rua Prates up to rua dos Bandeirantes
Rua dos Bandeirantes
Rua Guarani
Rua Tres Rios
Rua Lubavitch
Rua Amazonas
Rua Ribeiro de Lima
Rua Afonso Pena
Rua da Graca

You will be pleasantly suprised.  You might feel like a total insider, yourself.

salesrealestate,
Wow, you woke up with a lot of good info,,,,,,,, :cool:

Thanks for the information

That's  nine years of pounding the pavement , sore legs, and burning the midnight oil
while  pouring over tax database spreadsheets.

@rraypo

You should be getting more from that.  Depending upon footage there is.   Anyone out there is renting R$ 2000+ expenses
@rraypo

You should be getting more from that.  Depending upon footage there is.   Anyone out there is renting R$ 2000+ expenses
- @sprealestatebroker

We use a high-quality property management service located just off of Paulista that has been in business for decades.  This service takes care of everything for us and that is the going rent in downtown SP.  Our apartment is a few blocks off of Paulista going towards the mall, on Rua Frei Caneca, 1st floor, 24/7 gated security, with a balcony over R. Frei Caneca.  When it is not rented, I stay there, otherwise, I travel.
On a disclosure.... I am not looking to get into property management. Working on a 10% and dealing with stingy landlords ( not saying you are one of them ), no thank you.  Rather work sales. i sleep better at night.

On your gotten rate, I  used to have Portuguese Landlords in Cambridge, MA who often told me..... I want a good tenant first, money second.  If you are getting your rental check in the bank every month, and the apartment in pristine shape, you are the lucky in a 1000, considering Brazil.  Better keep  your tenant at the rate.  At least your condo and tax bill are being taken up by someone else, and you can bank on the appreciation.

There is not to say property management cos in Sampa will do anything to get the rental on the books, and won't buck lowball  would be tenants. 

Having said that, a R$ 1300 unit in Frei Caneca spells Studio or 1BR.  And studios in just about everywhere in Sao Paulo proper, specially Consolacao and around, is a dog business.    Way too much inventory. And as if was not enough, developers are building them aplenty, and toting them as the way to go as an investment vehicles. Always the hype of the year. 

The studios get rented because your working and single Brazilian urbanite, unlike your American urbanite, won't take up rooming with others. If it was not for this, you would have a problem in your hands.  That's called saving grace. 

And to make matters worse, developers are not selling their surplus cheap enough to move them, as of now. Once they bank 30% sales, they are on black, for as long as they have cash reserves, and they will not go promoting a firesale. Unsold inventory becomes their parsed sales, even after the Developer Business goes shut. It is either company cash flow without having to put up new buildings on times when money becomes expensive, or rental income cash flow.

Just to illustrate the disproportionate amount of inventory on new units, specially small units.....

If you take any of the newer buildings, going back 10 years ago, it is not unusual to get 50% or more unsold units.  Those unsold units, once the permit of occupancy is issued, pays taxes and condo assoc fees. So your Developer is your competitor.  If you bought a unit in a brand new building, as a future source of income, and your developer is holding 30,50 unsold units, then he is the 800 pound gorilla in the room, and you better get a decent rental agent. Your super, and front door man is going to get payola to move the developer units, and not yours. 

Just saying
I do take it back partially. 

The key to invest in small residential units, as in studios, is to locate them surgically precise. One rule of thumb I learned while practicing the rental trade game in Boston was that properties located on the footsteps of major hospitals were golden for rentals. 

And if your product ( how the apartment presents and it is maintained along with curbside appeal ) is a winner on looks and price, you can't be beat. 

The logic, simply stated, is that you have medical interns galore, who sign up for odd hours  long working shifts , are at beck in call for hospitals, and needed to be in walking distance to the Hospital where they took up residence. 

In your case, specifically, you are close enough the Hospital Sirio-Libanes and not far from Hospital Nove de Julho. You are on the golden patch. 

I made some coin out of some decent listings in Boston.  A Lebanese Taxi Fleet Owner in Boston ( actually his son ) learned I was on the Rental trade and got me rental exclusivity on these ones

11 Pompeii Street- Roxbury, Boston  MA USA

Actually, the entire street was his. 

We were charging half of the asking rate from South End units, for a better product, and just a couple blocks from the Boston Medical Center and City Hospital.   

While, pre rehab, he was leasing them out to taxicab drivers ( issues with bed bugs as most Ethiopian drivers did not take care of cleaning or their own grooming ).

It was a match made in heaven.  I doubled his asking rates ( after rehab ), and they were affordable enough ( I recall then USD 1,300 a month on a 12 month lease term ), I got to cherry pick tenants ( oddly Dental Students outnumbered Med Students ).

The family could not be more thankfull to me. Once I got the call by my mother, I had to leave for Brazil, and a lot was lost .

Matter in fact,l I worked the same miracle in Cambridge for a landlady, and in Somerville for a Landlord.

Boy, do I love sloppy listing brokers who take landlords for granted. There at least, I could earn the listing exclusivity based on good service.  Out here, not possible, landlords do take you for granted.

And not to be undone, I am parsing my data on Ipiranga and surroundings ( about 45,000 properties, give it or take )

Off the beaten path, some gems, ensconced by Aclimacao and Cambuci. 

We are talking....

Vila Monumento

Jardim da Gloria

Upper Cambuci ( Lower is forgetable )

The Whole Aclimacao

Ipiranga, the closer to the Independence Museum and Monument, the better it becomes.

Vila Dom Pedro I... meeeh.  Close to the Green Line, ok, but not great. I would say from Rua Silva Bueno up towards East of The Museum Park, and North to Rua Leais dos Paulistanos, and South bound by Rua Labatut.

Not Expat grounds, but solid places to live. You can actually score a decent rowhouse or townhouse. 

The typical Ipiranga rowhouses are facing the street, do not attract attention, are cute, and are hard to break in by burglars.   

And they are cheap to rent.   

The closer to the Orfanage and their Aquarium, the better it becomes.