Buying an apartment in Vietnam

If I buy an apt in HCMC that is over $130,000 (the dollar limit needed to satisfy bringing 'business' to Vietnam), would that purchase give me a TRC?

No.  Your apartment is your personal investment, not approved by the government as beneficial to the country.

If you truly want to invest with TRC as an incentive, contact a lawyer.  If you want to find a loophole, don't bother.  I'm not saying it rudely; it's reality and it's pretty simple: your investment only counts where the government says it counts.  Land, houses, condos, and apartments benefit you, not the country (aka the government), therefore they don't count.

PS:  Wasn't this scenario discussed in another thread just recently and I, along with other members, have answered more or less the same way?  If not, then my old age must be the cause for my Berra-like feeling of déjà vu all over again.

exstam1 wrote:

If I buy an apt in HCMC that is over $130,000 (the dollar limit needed to satisfy bringing 'business' to Vietnam), would that purchase give me a TRC?

Create a company with a capital of $130,000 and buy your apartment by your company.

Erikji wrote:
exstam1 wrote:

Create a company with a capital of $130,000 and buy your apartment by your company.

He is more worried about the TRC, start the company and get the TRC, no need to buy property.

Erikji wrote:

That won't work either. Buying real estate as an individual or under a company will not get you a TRC.

CoderX10 wrote:

That won't work either. Buying real estate as an individual or under a company will not get you a TRC.

It works, if you bring a capital of 3 billion VND to the company, it gives you a TRC.

Erikji wrote:
CoderX10 wrote:

It works, if you bring a capital of 3 billion VND to the company, it gives you a TRC.

That's not the question of the OP. He asked if buying real estate qualifies him for a TRC, which the answer is no.

He's not asking if he puts up 3 billion in registered capital to form a company, can he get a TRC, then the answer is yes.

This topic has been covered here extensively as there are many retired foreigners looking for a path towards a TRC through buying real estate.

CoderX10 wrote:

That's not the question of the OP. He asked if buying real estate qualifies him for a TRC, which the answer is no.

Think a little more please to help him:
He plans to buy an apartment for $130,000.

So he plans to bring 3 billion VND +  wants an apartment to live there.

So it's perfect to get a TRC, if he doesn't do the same big mistake that many people did here: he must first create a company (he will be owner of the company), and buy the apartment with his company.

Erikji wrote:
CoderX10 wrote:

So he plans to bring 3 billion VND    wants an apartment to live there.

So it's perfect to get a TRC, if he doesn't do the same big mistake that many people did here: he must first create a company (he will be owner of the company), and buy the apartment with his company.

I have feeling you have misread the original question. He asked if buying an apartment will get him a TRC.....NO.
He never mentioned opening a company, that option was given to him.

Erikji wrote:

Creating a company then using it to buy an apartment for an individual to live in is not an approved investment because it doesn't benefit the country's economy.

Think about it: how does a foreigner buying a private property, no matter whose name is listed as buyer, benefits the government? 

I'm repeating myself here: there's no loophole in the TRC via investment.

Erikji wrote:

That's the issue, “+”  . No TRC through just buying real estate.

I hope this will clarify the matter, once and for all:

Law No 51/2019/QH14:  Investment visa (the first step in the process of acquiring TRC through investment*) is issued to foreign investors and representatives of foreign organizations investing in industries, trades, professions, priority investment fields, and localities in which investment is encouraged.  The investment categories are decided by the Government.

*italics are mine.

Ciambella wrote:

I hope this will clarify the matter, once and for all:

Law No 51/2019/QH14:  Investment visa (the first step in the process of acquiring TRC*) is issued to foreign investors and representatives of foreign organizations investing in industries, trades, professions, priority investment fields, and localities in which investment is encouraged.  The investment categories are decided by the Government.

*italics are mine.

Do you really think this will stop him,lol.

colinoscapee wrote:

Probably not.  You can lead a horse to water... and all that.

But at least I know I've done my best in providing the information.  Now I can step back.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Probably not.  You can lead a horse to water... and all that.

But at least I know I've done my best in providing the information.  Now I can step back.

A friend of mine in VT told me that he was advised by his agent of a new rule. She told him that owning property can get you a TRC. I informed him this was wrong and upon hearing what he paid for it I said he should think about why he was paying 100% more for a legitimate TRC.