Growing Fruit or Vegetables in Cape Verde

Ola,

while I am aware of Cape Verde's mostly arid climate I was wondering if it is possible to grow some fruit or vegetables in your own garden without wasting too much water - and which? Any experience? I just know how to grow produce on mainland Europe...

Love to hear some ideas...

Obrigado
Julian

Hi! We have successfully created a garden without excessive use of water. We use the water from washing up the dishes and only top it up with fresh water occasionally. So long as there isn't too much soap in the water it works fine. Also, we have created a compost bin - collected all food waste and prunings etc. This makes good compost. We have grown bananas and Swiss chard, but as we are not there all the time, we haven't done much more in the way of fruit and veg.

As a gardener, you might be interested in this page about plants in Cape Verde - www.discover-cape-verde.com/guide/plants-in-cape-verde/

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. That sounds good. I've just grown my first potatoes and peas in Germany and was wondering if I could "move" that skill to CV as well.

Will check out your link as soon as it has been "reviewed".