Covid, hotels and quarantine

Hi, Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but I am coming into Mauritius on a business visa (I am fully vaccinated).

Am I still classed as a tourist and have to quarantine for 14 days and if so can anybody suggest a cheap hotel that is Covid listed to stay at?

I am trying to balance wanting to be in the country as soon as possible but having to pay to stay in expensive hotel Vs coming in October and being free to move around (but losing months work).

I had a look at the official site, but was unclear, so any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Noel

Hello Noel,

Till the 30th of September, anyone entering Mauritius, vaccinated or not will need to quarantine 14 days in one of the approved hotels unfortunately. Be it tourists, expats or mauritians everyone will be put in quarantine.

Requirements :
https://booking.mymauritius.travel/

List of approved hotels :
https://mauritiusnow.com/where-to-stay-in-mauritius/

Regards,
A

Hi - Does anyone know the answer to the following scenario? I will be arriving in Mauritius in October and will need to quarantine for 14 days as I'm unvaccinated. Once I am able to move freely I will go about my business of finding a rental apartment etc. It will be at this time that my wife will arrive in Mauritius with my 3 children and will too need to quarantine for 14days. My question revolves around whether my 3 children all aged under 18 will need to quarantine with her or will they be allowed to come with me on arrival at the airport? The reason I ask is that from October onwards if they were to have arrived with their mother and she was vaccinated they would not have needed to quarantine as under 18's aren't required to be vaccinated. So basically as I would have already passed through quarantine and be free to move around would I be able to collect them whilst my wife undertakes her quarantine?

Why are you not vaccinated? Mauritius is fragile, please reconsider

Would prefer a reply than to call thanks

Not every one can take the vaccines
Their Mefical history is confidential.
Thanks

I'm skeptical about those who refuse to get vaccinated, you have to prove a medical exemption here, I hope you do there as well. Do the vaccinated need to wear masks to protect themselves from those who “cannot” be vaccinated? This is nothing to toy with,

Hello Sociarta,

Quite tricky situation, pehaps you could contact the Mauritius Tourism Authority for official infos : https://www.mymauritius.travel/contact

Reopening in October will be the second step and lots of questions still remain.

Regards,
Anou

Thanks Anou - Appreciate the help.

weenalda wrote:

Why are you not vaccinated? Mauritius is fragile, please reconsider

Sorry but I think what is fragile is your sheep mindset.

Not everyone wants a vaccine when it is in trial stage specially, and all the organisations shift the blame if something goes wrong. I am not against vaccine but the constant push from the government has made a lot of people anti-vaccine. If you had a vaccine well and good for you, but do not force it on people who do not wish to have it. Do you know the long term effects of the vacccine? Last time I checked it was a free country and not dictatorship China or Korea.

science isnt a matter of opinion. if you go to the doctor and ask his advice when you are ill - and he suggests a treatment - you wouldnt say i'll think about it!
So why is this any different? there's no room for opinion here. it's black and white. you are putting yourself and other people at risk by refusing a vaccination. Just ask your doctor!
you can of course refuse a vaccine and you have every right to make that choice - as you say it is a free country - but you cannot then argue that that decision is based on any meaningful facts or logic - and nor can you argue that is does not risk spreading the virus further - because that is just incorrect in a very black and white way.

standaman1967 wrote:

science isnt a matter of opinion. if you go to the doctor and ask his advice when you are ill - and he suggests a treatment - you wouldnt say i'll think about it!
So why is this any different? there's no room for opinion here. it's black and white. you are putting yourself and other people at risk by refusing a vaccination. Just ask your doctor!
you can of course refuse a vaccine and you have every right to make that choice - as you say it is a free country - but you cannot then argue that that decision is based on any meaningful facts or logic - and nor can you argue that is does not risk spreading the virus further - because that is just incorrect in a very black and white way.

I have a doctor in the family who has advised against Covid vaccine unless you are in the high risk. If you have a virologist, in the know maybe you should ask them what Covid vaccine actually does to your body.

Do you have the data is deaths of how many people have died due to vaccine. No i do not think so!

Also it is not about black and white. Covid is not like any other illness or disease something which even scientists are still trying to understand let alone doctors. Can you guarantee that after getting your Covid shot you will not spread or catch Covid. Can you also guarantee that you will not need any booster shots in future to stop the spread.

If not then I rest my case. Free world

I just don't want the variant to blow up Mauritius, and I do prefer science believers to science deniers. How many loved ones have you lost to Covid? Didn't intend to bring out the snark

If you seriously believe there is a comparison to be made between the numbers of millions of people that have died from this disease with the number that have been adversely affected by the vaccine, i cannot really have a serious debate with you i'm afraid. i wonder, if this was a disease that meant certain death on catching it, would your attitude to the vaccine still have beeb the same? i suspect not.

See they added more then 500  cases are hospitalisation up or down. During the first lockdown Mauritius was never getting these case numbers.
How will this effect the re opening of the whole island in October

For anyone interested- I got a reply from the Tourist board.

Children travelling with a vaccinated parent can pass through immigration unhindered.

Children travelling with an unvaccinated parent must quarantine with that parent

Children travelling with an unvaccinated parent cannot be collected from the airport by a guardian.

Children travelling alone must quarantine ( special authorisation require from Health Ministry)

Children can however travel with a vaccinated guardian and pass through unhindered.

In all of these instances there is no requirement for children under 18 to be vaccinated, yet requirement to quarantine and associated expense is linked to their parents vaccination status.

Thanks for the update, Sociarta. Very precious infos indeed!