Can I claim myself as a CR tax resident while on a tourist visa?

Hi all, I'm looking into moving to CR. And to begin with, I'll remain a tourist.

My question is, if I'm a tourist and do "border runs" to stay in CR for more than 183 days, can I claim myself as a CR tax resident?

I saw this article from PwC, and that's why I was curious on this.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Just to add more info, I hold a Chinese passport and currently live in Canada. I'm planning to leave Canada by the end of this year, so I'll stop being a tax resident in Canada next year. Thanks!

Hrs.jj.....Very creative on your part..........But no.

edwinemora wrote:

Hrs.jj.....Very creative on your part..........But no.

So, he'll be doing taxes in both Canada and CR?

I'm assuming he reverts back to his origin of China
CR as a tourist with no business where he is making money from CR he exempt

FYI.   CR approved new residency program
Dropped investor program down to $150 k on real property
Also tax exempt on vehicle and personal belongings import

While still a tourist, you can only stay in CR, for maximum of 90 days then you are required to exit the country...but can quickly re-enter. However, you have to renew your passport/ visa, even after starting the residency process. to be legal to drive, until you have a 'cedula' in hand.. It will take at least a year after applying, probably longer though.

When you become an 'non-resident of Canada'you will still have to pay taxes on any earnings in Canada.

At this time, only if you legally work in CR will you have to pay taxes in CR. You should read up on legally working there.

At this time I don't understand  how one can they bring in their vehicle and personal belongings tax free, as they will not have gone through the residency process, and as we know, this could/will take a long time...and many could have returned to their home country, without notifying immigration.

I was unable to edit my previous post, to say that you will still have to pay taxes on any earnings in Canada....if you a Canadian citizen.  However, if you apply for residency as a citizen of China I have no idea.

This law has been signed by the president but isn't in operation yet. It might take a couple of more months. I wonder if they remove taxes for these categories if you buy a car in CR. This what i am going to do to avoid shipping and customs hassle and delays.

You only pay taxes on money earned in CR through a business here
You can take a job as an employee
Do you either go on lam from Canada and China on tax due
But CR you will be exempt especially as a tourist
Trust me the 13% sales tax and highs cost of living here, CR is still getting paid

They are saying by September should be in effect
No you have to pay the tax when you buy a new car here and yearly on a used card
I think on a new car you start paying the yearly tax after 2 year period when renew the registration and inspection
I don't think they whack you 13% on the sticker price at time of purchase , they have some other nutty formula that you pay tax each year on the depreciated value of the car

They are only tax exempting on one vehicle you import and personal belongings is the way I read it

Yes Kohl you are correct you have to have temp residency in order for the tax exemption to get approved on vehicle and personal belongings
This does not apply to tourist visas

FYI they are dropping the health insurance requirements/Health Pass for tourist as of August 1 if you have a valid vaccine card

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me, if you are a tourist that's all you are.  You are not recognized as a resident.

Hi all !

I have an airbnb that i am running and i am trying to figure out how to pay my taxes to costa rica for it. Right now it is running to my american account but i am happy to open a costa rican account to pay my taxes here. Any one have any information? Thanks !

This website should provide all the info you require...but if your are from the USA you will also have to declare it there, too.