Work in Gib, live in Spain. Which visa and how do I apply?!

Basically, I am hitting a brick wall speaking with the Spanish and Gibraltar Consulates on the matter of visas.

I am a British national, currently living in the UK. I want to accept employment in Gibraltar but need to live in Spain for a couple of reasons.

What I am struggling to find an answer to is whether cross frontier workers are eligible to apply for a fixed term working visa in Spain?

Maybe you know someone who has done or is doing this at the moment? Any information gratefully received!

Thank you 😊

I have heard nothing about cross frontier working visas. My impression is that we are still early post-Brexit, and nuance situations like this are probably not yet accommodated. I would suggest you contact the British Embassy to see if they can help. https://twitter.com/ukinspain

What do you mean by hitting a brick wall anyway? Like, they don't have a solution for you?

Hi thank you for your response.

Yes that's exactly what I mean... the consulates respond with 'ask Gibraltar' or 'ask Spain' but neither have an answer.

Join this Facebook group British in Europe. I am sure someone there will be able to help you.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Another worthy group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/279304349529183/

Another option would be to hire an asesoria to consult with you about this. You can get some of the top expat asesorias like Anne Hernandez and Richelle de Wit to help you figure it out. https://www.spainexpat.com/gestoria/ser … nsultation

As a non-EU citizen, you need the visa appropriate for the country where you're going to live, so in your case a Spanish visa.  Cross-border working is a thing within the EU, they all do it.  I know of 1 guy who works in Gib, but lives in Spain; of course, the odd-man-out here is Brexit and how the specific EU countries deal with 3rd country nationals.  Some have mentioned that it's too early after Brexit to expect hard and fast rules and I think I agree.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi
Have you made any progress here?
I'm in a very similar situation.

Kind regards

I don't think you need to talk to either consulate, your problem is pretty straightforward! At least IMHO... :-)

Working in Gibraltar is the easy part. As a UK citizen you can live and work there, without needing any kind of work or residence permit.

So I would suggest that you could accept the job, and rent a place in Gibraltar until you figure out the Spanish aspect.

In terms of Spain, I think, as a UK citizen (i.e. not an EU citizen) you will need to get the appropriate visa / residence permit. If you're working in Gibraltar, and you simply want to live in Spain for the cheaper property/cost of living, then you would certainly not need a Spanish work visa.

I would suggest that perhaps the Spanish "no lucrativa" visa might be appropriate and relatively easy. This means you are of "independent means" and won't "work or exercise professional activity" in Spain.

There is a list of requirements on the Spain official website (and I've posted the relevant info on a separate topic here recently). Mainly, proof of health insurance in Spain, and demonstrate income of 2,300 euros per month (I imagine your Gibraltar work contract might suffice), or have savings of 28,000 euros (said income x 12 months).

The cross border worker discussion is more about EU citizens/residents in Spain, being able to cross over to Gibraltar to work, following Brexit. So not relevant to your situation.

Additionally, I think Spain exempts salaries (up to 60k euros) earned by persons who work abroad from taxes (provided you are paying tax on the salary where it was earned). I believe Gibraltar is included in this, but you should check.

Hi Dinelli,

No, I ended up declining the offer of employment. It seemed a big risk for the current unknown. What about you, did you come to a conclusion?

Hi Cynic,

This man of whom you speak... how's he managing it? Would you be able to ask him and update me?

Any update on this? We are UK citizens also living and working in Gibraltar, but desperately wanting to move over the border.

@cc0509 Hi, did you guys ever figure this out?

@gwynj  has anything much changed since you wrote this message?

I am considering a move back to working in Gib but I would like to live in Spain like I did back in early 2000 but Brexit has caused all sorts of issues.

Lou