Do i need a personal number to work in norway?

hi everyone i have recently moved to oslo and my wife is norwegian citizen
do i need to apply for resident permit in order to get a personal number for work ?
i am non european from pakistan but i have a visa from eu country and want to apply for family immigration,,right now i have schengen visa ,so do i have to apply for resident permit first or i can apply for personal number i already lost 3 jobs  just because they said i dont have tax card (personal number) things are little complicated here and confusing i have heard you need to have a work contract when you apply for personal number ,,and employer asks for personal number always so in order to have job u must have a personal and for personal u need to have a contract..
i would really appreciate if you share info about
thank you.

if you want to work legally, you do need a person number. It's how you're identified for tax and salary and bank purposes. However, I don't know how this works if you're already here on a family reunion. In my case I had the job first, and then applied for a personal number on the basis of the job, which was also the reason I could stay here.

i had a job offer buh employer said that u need to have a personal number or something like D number
guess you need a resident permit or to apply for family reunion first i dont know its kinda confusing !!!so you had a job contract first then you got a personal number right? i think i should go to SUA office for foreigners here in oslo,,
cheers for reply  appreciate that

jdee4808 wrote:

so you had a job contract first then you got a personal number right?t

I'm a nordic citizen so I didn't need to have a visa to live in Norway, and that also meant I didn't have any of the temporary ID numbers. The D-number is a temporary ID, and the FNR is the permanent ID. Perhaps they need the D-number to complete the paperwork for the FNR?