Foreign birth application - Original vs Certified copies

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, but thought I'd get stuck in.

My wife and I are planning on moving to Ireland in the not-so-distant future, but I had a question around the documents I'll need to submit when the foreign births registration reopens.

In the section where it lists the supporting documents you need from your Irish-born grandparent, your parent, and you, it lists most of them as 'original' documents, and only the passports are able to be certified photocopies.

If I don't have my grandmother's original birth certificate, is ordering one from the local authority and sending that in place of the original sufficient for the application, or not?

I thought I'd ask here on the off chance anyone has been in the same situation as me and can put my mind at rest.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're talking about Government originated documentation, when they say "no copies", they mean no photocopies or scans.  The birth certificate that you receive from the Irish Government will be deemed an original, just don't send them a photocopy.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Yes that's incredibly helpful, thank you!

RE: FBR
Dear all, Happy Christmas day.

I gave problem, the FBR office doesn't like the format of the birth certificate of my Dad or the marriage certificate of my grandmother. Both are certified extracts of entry Births Deaths And Marriage register Victoria Australia.

I called BDM Victoria that's the only format available. This type of certificate must have been used in the past as there are many Irish in Victoria

Help