Moving to France as a 'Citizen'

Hi there! I'm reaching out as a last-ditch effort since I can't seem to find much info on my situation. I'm a dual French American citizen (born and raised in SoCal, only visited France a few times) but I want to move. Rather, I am moving, I have a ticket for my dogs and I for October. I wanted to ask if anyone knew what hoops I will probably have to jump through upon arrival?

I have a place to stay, a French passport, my book of family, and my birth cert all proving I'm French, but having never actively lived there or paid into the system at all, I'm sure there are some things I will need to do. even after scouring the French embassy's website, I can only find things about "Returning" to France. Which technically isn't the case.

Thank you for even taking the time to read this far! Have a great day and stay safe!

Hi there, there are a few things that need to be done. Contact me directly, and I'll be happy to give you a few pointers.
Are you moving with a job?
That makes it very much easier.

MariArbelaez wrote:

Hi there, there are a few things that need to be done. Contact me directly, and I'll be happy to give you a few pointers.
Are you moving with a job?
That makes it very much easier.

If you have advise then share it on the open forum as it can help others.

Technically you are returning to France in the way the French state seea you as a French national.

- to enter the country nothing will happen. Your French passport will let you through.

- social security. You will need to contact the local Caisse Primaire d Assurance Maladie. The French system is based on residency and you are covered after 3 months.
You will need complementary insurance.
If you are working you will be insurance from your first day of work if less than 3 months

-taxes.you will need to complete a declaration only next year and be wary that you need to declare US revenues too.

Apart from that it all depends on your situation

I would think the first thing to do would be to apply for a carte d'identite. I'm a dual national (US-Italian) and moved from the US to France two years ago. My Italian citizenship entitled me to live anywhere in the EU, but I still had to apply for a carte de sejour (youwon't need to) and a carte medicale (you'll need to do this also).

as you are a French citizen you only need to get just a few things in order : drivers license, carte vitale (medical care), taxes (local bureau), .... your local townhall can help you with all this once you are in France !
Good luck !!