Working for a UK company abroad. Does the currency of salary matter.

Hi,

I just wanted to know if the currency we get paid our salary is affected at all when moving to another country and working for a UK company?

I mean legally speaking, does the law care how I am taxed in terms of the currency I am paid?

So for instance if my employer was paying me GBP while living in the UK and then move to a foreign country permanently and the taxes I pay change, does the HMRC care if my salary is in GBP or any other currency?

Best regards,

Mike

If your payroll tax is deducted under PAYE then the deduction will be in UK £ direct from your salary.  If you have other income, then assuming there is a tax agreement in place between the UK and where you are resident, then it needs to be declared to the tax authorities where you reside; be very careful as the UK tax system is very different to most other countries - always get advice from a local expert.  UK state pensions are always taxed (in £'s) at source in the UK, regardless of where you are resident and it is paid.  If the Netherlands are one of your countries of interest, be prepared to pay 30% social taxes on your worldwide income regardless.  Tax agreements apply to income tax only.