Can I still get UK pension if I am no longer UK tax resident?

I am considering my options and wondering what will happen to my UK pension if I am no longer UK tax resident.

Is it possible to still be eligible for UK pension even though not UK tax resident and if so how much would I have to pay each month/year?

Thanks

If you are a British national you can contribute £2880 pa (grossed up to £3,600) for the first 5 tax years after leaving.

Assuming you're talking about the UK State Pension, then you can carry on paying voluntary NI contributions (see above); you can give the Pensions Office a ring to see if there is anything to watch out for.  Depending on where you move to, it is index-linked just like UK recipients; there is a list (link) that helps you there.

Company pension schemes are different as they are in many ways subsidised by UK taxpayers, so speak to your Pension provider or financial adviser to help you out there.

Thanks for the replies.

I am a little confused about the company pension.

If one was to work for a UK company in a foreign country, meaning, not being UK tax resident but working for a UK company in a foreign company, where the salary is being paid into a UK bank account, does that mean the company pension needs to be applied differently?

I know company tops ontop of our pension contributions. So for example if you contribute 3%, your company may provide %6 contribution, so that is a total of 9% pension being applied.

Does this mean that if I am not UK tax resident, I would not be eligible to the %6 company pension contribution?

MikeGreo wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

I am a little confused about the company pension.

If one was to work for a UK company in a foreign country, meaning, not being UK tax resident but working for a UK company in a foreign company, where the salary is being paid into a UK bank account, does that mean the company pension needs to be applied differently?

I know company tops ontop of our pension contributions. So for example if you contribute 3%, your company may provide %6 contribution, so that is a total of 9% pension being applied.

Does this mean that if I am not UK tax resident, I would not be eligible to the %6 company pension contribution?

There is an answer to your question on the Internet, and you may qualify, but there are pre-requisites you need to be/do in order to qualify.  I just found it after a quick Google search, but I am not a Financial Adviser, so I'm not authorised to offer you financial advice - hence my previous advice to speak to someone who is qualified - that still remains.  This link will take you to a company website that has the answer.  Please don't come back here asking for somebody to clarify what it says, go and speak to a Financial Adviser.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team