Looking to a Pfizer shot

I hear they are bringing in the Pfizer vaccination now any idea if an expat can get vaccinated with it yet? The Chinese vaccine is not accepted in many countries so when I want to visit Canada again I need one of the "recognized" ones .

I thought I had read that the Pfizer vaccines were going to be used for those 12-18, but I can't find the source of the info right now. I'll look again when I can get on my laptop.

Correct.

With this biological, the inoculation of adolescents between 12 and 17 years of age will begin.
Santo Domingo Dominican Republic. - The Dominican Republic received this Friday 228 thousand one hundred and fifty vaccines to treat COVID-19, corresponding to the vaccine manufactured by the pharmaceutical companies Pfizer and BioNTech of the United States, with which the Government will initiate the inoculation of children and adolescents of 12 to 17 years.

https://www.msp.gob.do/web/?p=11894

The vaccination centres in Santiago and Santo Domingo only have had long queues of adolescents who need a parent or guardian to sign for them to be vaccinated. The 228k shots wll be gone very quickly.

So it would seem there aren't options beyond sinovac for us oldies?

There will be more  Astra Zeneca coming soon, not sure when. And we are expecting more of the Pfizer as well.

How do you go about requesting another one?  Show up then request and they'll ask you come back?

You need to know when they are here and where they are  using them. Showing up will just waste your time UNLESS you know the vaccine is there and available.

Gman I am in the same situation. I need an Astra Zeneca shot to return to Canada without paying the 3 night Government Authorized Accomodation. I have my first shot.

If you are planning to travel anytime soon, Pfizer vaccine is available for free at Miami and San Juan airports.

But how does one know when they have them?

Who says Canada isn't accepting the Sinovac?  It is approved by the WHO, same as all the others, so I don't think Canada can deny it.

As far as I know there is no astra zeneca in country right now. they are waiting for more.   It should arrive before your scheduled  second shot IF you got the first one here.

UncleBuck wrote:

Who says Canada isn't accepting the Sinovac?  It is approved by the WHO, same as all the others, so I don't think Canada can deny it.

It is currently under review in Canada.... should be announced soon

ONLY individuals who meet the following criteria will qualify to take advantage of the new, less restrictive quarantine requirements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada (as well as essential workers and foreign students) who have been fully vaccinated for 14 days or more at the time they arrive in Canada with one of the four vaccines approved by Health Canada (Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca or Johnson & Johnson).

jwoddis, more Pfizer shots are coming weekly from now and it appears from what has happened over the past few days that adults who attend the vaccination centres listed below in Santo Domingo and Santiago will get vaccinated:

A batch of 208,000 doses of Pfizer will arrive in the DR this Friday

https://noticiassin.com/pais/un-lote-de … es-1110795

A batch of 208,000 doses of vaccines manufactured by the pharmaceutical company Pfizer- BioNTech will arrive this Friday , Vice President Raquel Peña, who is also president of the Health Cabinet, confirmed to Noticias SIN.

Last Friday, 228,150 arrived  to inoculate in addition to adults, people older than 12 years after the arrival in the country of the Pfizer-BioNTech mRNA vaccine.

The doses were enabled in the Santo Domingo and Santiago provinces in 14 centers.

Santo Domingo:

Combat Pavilion
Plaza Lama- February 27
Plaza Duarte- Carrefour
Mermaid-Churchill
Downtown Center
Agora Mall

Santo Domingo East:

Jumbo -Megacenter

Santo Domingo West:

Garrido Stores - Duarte Highway

Santiago:

Plaza Lama- February 27
Great Theater of the Cibao
Central Park

I passed a number of the above venues in Santo Domingo this past Sunday and there were long queues except the new Garrido Store on Duarte Highway. This store is on the northbound carriageway just after La Sirena and before the exits/flyover for Las Alcarrizos.

Ok here is a follow up question. Can someone ask there doctor if we get the Chinese vaccine shot if it does not become recognized by other countries in the future, will we be able to just get one of the other recognized vaccines once they become more readily available in the Dominican Republic? Do we even have any studies yet of the health ramifications of using both of these vaccines together? I do know that they are mixing first and second doses of the Astrazenica and Pfizer vaccine.

I would like to know this as well!

The Sinovac vaccine is now WHO approved and that is a pre-requisite requirement for it to enter into the COVAX scheme. Once it does so, it would be questionable for any country to refuse entry with that innoculation. The G7 is planning to donate nearly a billion shots into COVAX so it would be very hard for those countries to ignore a COVAX approval.

All the vaccines are for 'emergency use'. So mixing vaccines doubles any uncertainty until full approvals are given. A risk some authorities are willing to take, even though it may boost immunity as shown in studies.

I'll see if I can find the article, but I read something about the AZ shots being used as a "3rd shot booster" for those of us who have gotten the Sinovac vaccine.

Does anyone know where they are giving Pfizer shots in La Romana?

I do not believe they are offering Pfizer shots outside Santo Domingo and Santiago yet for reasons of distribution and storage at low temperatures but they are having a mass vaccination campaign in the South and East from today until Monday, so you could make contact with them at vacunaterd.

Thanks lennoxnev😀

This article has good info on Mixing.

https://newjersey.news12.com/can-you-mi … tists-know

Roryzion wrote:

If you are planning to travel anytime soon, Pfizer vaccine is available for free at Miami and San Juan airports.

DO NOT TRAVEL TO TAKE VACCINE AWAY FROM OTHER COUNTRIES UNLESS YOU ARE A CITIZEN.   Jeez.

While I agree with your sentiment please don't post in all caps.  That is the equivalent of yelling your entire statement.

The US is not short of vaccines so it's not taking from anyone.

Miami airport is offering vaccination for airport staff, not every Tom , Dick or Harry 😂

Thanks God!!

Anyone with a passport or a cedula can go to the designated Pfizer vaccine location and receive it regardless of age. My husband, my 13 year old daughter, and myself all got our first Pfizer vaccine in Santo Domingo this weekend and will return in July for a second dose. It was very easy.  All you have to do is fill out the paper hand it back to the person of the desk with your ID and about 15 minutes later we were called for the shot. We were in and out in less than 30 minutes.  You can check the Ministerio De Salud Instagram, Facebook, or web page for the exact locations.

By coming to USA u are not taking anyone's vaccine away as there they are available everywhere and at the point that anyone who wants one got one. About 30% of us population is not even intrested in their non FDA approved shot.

It's true. COVID vaxes are widely available. 

We know of families that are now having teens (13-17) get the COVID vaccines, because of risk factors such as asthma. 
>> Both parents got COVID, very serious cases, long-haul variety.  Weren't hospitalized,  but sick for many weeks, and long time recovering.  Heck, still not recovered, over a year later!!

Thus, these particular parents are far more worried about COVID than vaccine side-effects. 

Their kids.  Their choice. Their decision. 

But, back to the original post and later questions...no problems in US getting the jab.  Easily available, even for teens. 
>> Might be a little more difficult if you want the Moderna version, it seems to be in higher demand here.
>> Still, probably 5 calls or less to find a place with fairly quick availability and access. 

I don't think I'd have my teens get the jab, personally.  But, I understand their rationale.

Jim

Great article on Sinovac issues.

https://news.yahoo.com/relied-chinese-v … 46542.html

The articles lumps them together, but many of the countries with issues had primarily, or almost entirely, Sinopharm vaccines.

Firstly, the majority of vaccines administered in both Seychelles and Bahrain are the Sinopharm vaccines - not Sinovac.

And in Mongolia the majority of the vaccines administered are not Sinovac but a mixture of Pfizer, AZ, Sputnik, Sinopharm and Covax sourced vaccines which do not include Sinovac at this time.

According to the Foreign Ministry, Mongolia has received 2,600,540 vaccines through COVAX, the AstraZeneca and Pfizer brands. In addition, the government has purchased Sputnik V from Russia and Sinopharm from China. The COVAX global supply of vaccines to lower-income economies is expected to reach 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021.(Mongolia has administered at least 3,608,480 doses of COVID vaccines so far.)

Chile uses Sinovac, Pfizer and AZ. And there are massive real world government studies of people having received full vaccination being reported each month on the true effectiveness of the Sinovac vaccine.

It is therefore not a 'great' article but some poor reporting to be gobbled up by some.

Right way to go!

The Government prepares for the application of a third dose of the vaccine against COVID-19

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … =blueconic

The Dominican Government plans to continue acquiring more doses of vaccines against COVID-19, given the recommendation made by Pfizer, of a third application of the biological and the possibility that other pharmaceutical companies also require it, for greater coverage of the new variants.

"The President of the Republic has his planning for the third dose, almost all the companies that commercialize speak of a third dose, that is why more vaccination is still scheduled," explained the Minister of Health, Daniel Rivera.

208k more Pfizer shots arrive today, 475k shots of AZ arrived Wednesday to add to the 3m shots of Sinovac that also arrived.

DR is swimming in vaccines.

Perhaps that is the reason they want to give 3rd shots?

Astra Zeneca appears to be more effective protection against variants, perhaps that is the reasoning?

The information on the effectiveness of vaccines against variants is far from complete.

It is one thing for a manufacturer to carry out laborartory experiments and declare that it's vaccine promotes an antibody reaction so is effectve against a variant, but then one has to wait several months to see that promised  effectiveness confirmed in the real world where many have received full vaccination with a product.

We do not know enough yet with Delta. There is reasonable information in the real world on the performance of vaccines with Alpha and Gamma but Delta appears a step worse.

What we do know is that all vaccines fully applied do help protect considerably against hospitalization and death even with variants and a booster would appear to enhance that protection.

Those that die and suffer are the non vaccinated.

I got your point lennoxnev. Just putting the information out there for those who are interested in following the research for themselves.

I am in US but choose not to take the mRNA or Viral Vector vaccines. I am actually wanting the Sinovac vaccine. Is it possible to travel to DR and get the Sinovac vaccine as a US citizen? I will soon lose my job over this but I refuse to take the others due to personal beliefs.