Property Listings

Hello everyone,

Just want to share my experience and see if you ran into such things.
We have been looking for property in Malaysia and when my wife (Malaysian citizen) and I contact the agent for a property, the immediate questions we get (Almost from the majority):
Tell us your budget?, What can you afford, where are you from..etc.
I called for a specific property, so obviously I can afford it.
In US, all these immediate questions will be considered red flags.
am I reading too much in these questions and these are typical here in Malaysia.
appreciate any input.

Thank you

Yes these are standard questions. Just play along but dont answer what you are not confortable with. For budget you can say what you think the property is worth and yoyr range so they can also recommend others in same range.

Hey,

I understand that these questions can be really uncomfortable for you. The reason why they ask these questions is the owner usually want to know the brief background of who they are renting to (sadly to say , most of the owners here want to know the race/nationality of the future tenant)

They ask for your budget so they can see if let's say you don't this particular property you click on, they will give a few more listings that fits your criteria. Also most people they don't have the mindset like yours as you click on a specific property because it's between your budget. They click blindly and actually that's not their budget.