D7 visa without passive income

Hi everyone!

I didn't know about D7 visa until yesterday. After hours of research on youtube, reddit and some blogs i faced with a question as seen on title. Is it possible to get D7 visa without passive or any kind of active income? I will have saving around 25-30k euro if i start this process. It's about 10k in my account now but i'll put what was left.

I'm sure there was a number written like 25k euro will be needed in case without passive income in a page but i couldn't find that again.

Thanks in advance!

Hello. I've heard you need 40 euros a day as an amount without a passive income. Not 100 percent certain so hoping to get a definitive answer as well.

Hi, All, Welcome :)

Please see this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#5077438
(Post #7)

Here it is mentioned UK, but it applies to any non EU country.

Thanks for reply! I readed again but still its confusing. Both regular passive income and saving are listed as requirement. So its optional or i need to have both?

It's optional. The Portuguese D7 Visa is a residence visa for foreigners who live from passive & available income, i.e. not from a work contract.

Applicants for this visa must prove that they have an income above the minimum requirement which guarantees them a passive net income sufficient to live in Portugal. The source of income can be diverse, such as, for example, a pension, income from movable or immovable property, from intellectual property, from financial applications. It does not need to be a monthly income.

The government recently started to require that the applicants for this visa have an open bank account in Portugal, before the visa application is formalised. The objective is that the applicant proves that he/she has access to financial means while in Portugal.

Please note: you should not limit yourself to the minimums shown, because most house rents are just below, equal to or higher than the "minimum" required.

Financial requirements are much clear now. Despite the fact that finding an apartment with a good price and location can be challenging.

Thank you so much!

Hi Zafer, this is Marcelle, does it mean that I don't have to invest$100.000 to get a visa to relocate in Portugal?

Hey Marcelle. I'm not really well informed about visa types but for sure golden visa must have some extra advantages comparing d7 visa. But yea, basicly the d7 visa much easier and cheaper.

When you say cheaper, how cheap? Because I need to know how much to save starting Now

You can start reading from this https://tom-bradford.com/the-portugal-d7-visa-for-those-with-passive-income/.

Hi Marie,
Let's just say that this amount you are saying here is excessive for a D7 Visa and short for a Golden Visa :)

Please see this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#5077438
(Post #7, D7 & Golden Visa)

Here it is mentioned UK, but it applies to any non EU country.

Thank you very much for your time.

as a quick (maybe) follow up to this question....when establishing the bank account, is there an amount of cash that should be transferred to the new Portuguese bank account?  Does it need to be at least the annual minimum?  2x the minimum? Is the more cash in the local account the better or does the PT government view all accounts (including US/brokerage) when determining ability to sustain yourself?

THANKS!

Hi Sponger,

These minimum values are defined by the Government (check out the Foreign Ministry's website):

https://vistos.mne.gov.pt/pt/vistos-nac … bsistencia

I don't know if there can be some kind of subjectivity in visa evaluations, whether any evidence is presented regarding other type of resources. The question here is not what you have in the US, but what you have available in Portugal to live on while you are here.

But I suggest that you take into account amounts above these, because those minimum are (unfortunately) low and they are not in line with real cost of living in Portugal.

@JohnnyPT  hi there, appreciate your knowledge on this board! Wondered if this would still apply today - Will I be approved with only significant savings in a portuguese bank account (2 years or more) but no passive monthly income?

Hi Thesixfam, Welcome.

Here is a personal experience of someone who did not need the passive monthly income.

(Post #20)

Best Regards