Internet Access Options in Mauritius?

What're the internet access options in Mauritius? I believe MTML offers internet access. How is the quality? Does it take time to get a connection? What is the general speed?

I may be there on an exploratory visit visit soon. Is there a way to get internet access for a laptop? I want to avoid using internet cafes for security reasons. Appreciate any guidance.

You can try MTML's (wireless) Evdo connection, fits into laptop easily too. For MUR 500, that's a good deal, though you might have to keep shifting your location till you find an ideal place that gives you a good steady connection!

Isn't there a specific modem for MTML? I know EMTEL provides a similar wireless service but the modem is expensive and depending on your location it doesn't perfectly work

MTML offers 128k 'fast' dialup access on their network, but it doesn't work everywhere.

Similarly, Emtel and Orange have 3G options. They don't work everywhere, and your speeds are likely to be slow outside of Port Louis. My 3G in the north is barely faster than 256K.

ADSL service is provided by Mauritius Telecom (Orange) - It's not terribly stable, but it's good enough for most needs. They range in offering from 128K ADSL to 2MB ADSL. The 2MB offering costs around Rs10,000 per month and is uncapped.

Good exchange of information with regard to internet options.

I see that EMTEL offers Mobile Broadband - modem cost upfront  Rs. 5000 and 1GB-10GB at monthly fees of Rs400-Rs2500.
Orange offers ADSL 512Kbps download speeds for Rs848 per month with no charge for modem & no minimum period of subscription. Orange also has "My.T offers" 12 month contracts with internet download speeds ranging from 512-2048 Kbps, prices ranging from Rs1K-3K. I also noticed that Orange has "ADSL business 2M" with a monthly tariff of Rs9K at download speeds of 2048Kbps which requires  upfront purchase of modem (price unspecified!) but doesn't require a contract.

Does anybody know how the two 2M packages under My.T & Business differ with regard to reliability and performance? It is not clear why "business 2M"'s monthly tariff is three times but the same "up to speed" of 2048Kbps. Is it because more stable?

Sharing your recent experience with the other services is also greatly appreciated.

Hi Ses,

The reason for the business 2M package is that business ADSL costs more than a private use facility.