Mtwapa or Malindi

hi,I am American living and working in Thailand my fiance is Kenyan from Nairobi.We want to settle down in kenya but we are confused mtwapa or malindi what's the difference.We would like to relocate to the coast a place with,water,security,electricity,shopping place coffee places and good school for our daughter.We want to buy land and build our own house.Please advice.

Hi and welcome on board Heinrich!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hello,

Why limit yourself to those two places?  Kilifi and Watamu are also very nice, for example and quite a bit closer to Mombasa.  Mtwapa is much closer to Mombasa than Malindi, so connections are better to Nairobi, for example.  Mtwapa is very popular with Mzungu.  However, it isn't as nice as Nyali, which is between there and Mombasa (well to me, anyway).

As for buying property; Knight Frank sell sell property at the coast and it is worth checking their website.  Prices are on the up and Mombasa/best bits at the coast arent particularly cheap any more. 

As someone who has bought quite a bit of land/property in Kenya, it is absolutely essential to come here and scope out the areas for yourself.  Whatever you do, don't entrust the purchase to anyone else and one of you should be around, in Kenya while the deal goes through.  Do not pay your solicitor any money apart from their fees.  Its not uncommon for them to spend some of the funds.  The actual deposit and purchase price should be transferred directly from your account to that of the vendor.

The process is similar to that of the UK.  Once you have made an offer, generally you pay 20% deposit within about a week.  The deposit is paid and sale agreement signed.  You then complete within 60 days.  Stamp duty is 4% on a property - less on undeveloped land, I think.

Hope this helps.

Hi
thanks a lot for the information Also about knight frank its gong to help us a lot.bye

Hi Heinrich,try dengozi cottage safe location decent enough.if you have any further questions contant them thank you

Please, urgently needed one used Toyota Landcruiser HZJ 78 (old model usually used by NGO's E.G. MSF) of Land Rover defender 110
up to 2.5 million SH, not older than 2005 and up. I'm placed in Mombasa, but willing to go to Nairobi if needed, to purchase.
Thanks, your new member

Hi nedelpr,

You are off topic here. Please post this in the Mombasa classifieds > buy and sell section. Thank you.

Longonot62 wrote:

I agree with Longonot62. Just to add,life in Malindi is generally more expensive so you need to look into that before making a decision.

Hello,

Why limit yourself to those two places?  Kilifi and Watamu are also very nice, for example and quite a bit closer to Mombasa.  Mtwapa is much closer to Mombasa than Malindi, so connections are better to Nairobi, for example.  Mtwapa is very popular with Mzungu.  However, it isn't as nice as Nyali, which is between there and Mombasa (well to me, anyway).

As for buying property; Knight Frank sell sell property at the coast and it is worth checking their website.  Prices are on the up and Mombasa/best bits at the coast arent particularly cheap any more. 

As someone who has bought quite a bit of land/property in Kenya, it is absolutely essential to come here and scope out the areas for yourself.  Whatever you do, don't entrust the purchase to anyone else and one of you should be around, in Kenya while the deal goes through.  Do not pay your solicitor any money apart from their fees.  Its not uncommon for them to spend some of the funds.  The actual deposit and purchase price should be transferred directly from your account to that of the vendor.

The process is similar to that of the UK.  Once you have made an offer, generally you pay 20% deposit within about a week.  The deposit is paid and sale agreement signed.  You then complete within 60 days.  Stamp duty is 4% on a property - less on undeveloped land, I think.

Hope this helps.

Hi Heinrich,

If you would like to move to the Coast,then Mombasa would be the best place.Specifically because of education for your daughter.
there are five schools that you should look at
1.Agakhan Academy-offers IB(www.
2.Mombasa Academy-offers GCE
3.Braeburn Academy-offers GCE
4.Oshwal Academy-offers GCE
5.Coast Academy-offers GCE
(i'll inbox you details on Mtwapa and malindi)

As for property,my suggestion would be to live in a furnished apartment first,while you scout around for a property to buy.
In Mombasa,My space property is actually more resourceful than knight Frank.
their website is myspacepropertieskenya.com

and mobile number of the director is +254-734555556

they should be able to advice you both on the apartments and Property to buy.

Nyali would be your best choice of the area to live in because it is secure and it has three huge shopping malls which have several different restaurants and shops...it'll be like living at home...away from home!

Hope i have been of help.
Best regards,
Nana