New to Oslo: renting a flat, what are the pitfalls?

Hi everyone,

my boyfriend and I will move to Oslo in August and we're already looking for a flat from abroad. We saw some nice ones but don't know the chances we have to get one when not being on the spot. Also we don't really know the pitfalls to look after when seeing an ad.

So here a few questions, we have to those of you who are already established:

- Does it make a difference money wise to have a flat with electrical heating versus central heating?
- How is the renting market? Is it difficult to rent a flat, meaning is there a huge waiting line to
each flat visit?- What are the pitfalls to be aware of?
- our ideal flats is from 2 rooms and above with a budget between 7'000 and 10'000 NOK, is it realistic for a rented flat?
- what are the administrative papers that need to be given to rent a flat? Bank account description? A working contract?

Also do you know anyone moving soon? We're looking for a 2-rooms flat. :)

We look forward to reading your answers and thank you already for your support.

See you soon and best wishes,

Gaëlle

Hi and welcome on board Gaëlle!

I hope other members will help you with some advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

greenmoon wrote:

Hi everyone,

my boyfriend and I will move to Oslo in August and we're already looking for a flat from abroad. We saw some nice ones but don't know the chances we have to get one when not being on the spot. Also we don't really know the pitfalls to look after when seeing an ad.

- Does it make a difference money wise to have a flat with electrical heating versus central heating?
- How is the renting market? Is it difficult to rent a flat, meaning is there a huge waiting line to
- our ideal flats is from 2 rooms and above with a budget between 7'000 and 10'000 NOK, is it realistic for a rented flat?
- what are the administrative papers that need to be given to rent a flat? Bank account description? A working contract?

Gaëlle

No big difference between heating types. If not central heating you should add kr. 600-1000 for electrical pr month.

The renting market is extremly in Oslo right now. Very high prices and few flats. Your budget is ok, but it depends on if its in town or outside.

You dont have to show any paper for renting a flat. You just sign the contract with the owner. But now I heard that its normal to give a lot of information of yourself. Your CV, references etc... And of course, the owner must like you :) If not beeing there and meet the owner, its a big drawback.

Good luck :)

Hi,

thanks a lot for your messages. It's super helpful.
We'll do our best then to appear super friendly.

My boyfriend will arrive before me in Oslo and will then look for a flat already. Let's hope we can find something neat...

Gaëlle

greenmoon wrote:

Hi everyone,

Gaëlle

Hello!

I am in a similar situation. I a mo moving to Norway in two weeks, so you can imagine...I have spent hours and hours in front of my pc looking for cheap and nice house in Oslo area..Drammen...
I think a house in Oslo with TWO bedrooms, with a 7000~10.000 NOK budget wonŽt be easy to find... try to find in finn.no
in the next link I have made a filter for you with your requires not more than 10.000, located in Oslo and with two bedrooms and that is the result:

http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … CE_TO=9999

As you can see there is not too much houses/apartments with these particulary conditions..if you go up to 12.000 NOK you will find more apartments with 2 "soveroms"
good luck!!