Want to buy a bicycle in Las Terrenas

Hi,

I am looking to move to Las Terrenas soon. Hopefully, I will get my things (including my bicycle) via residency soon after, but when I first move there, I wish to get a bicycle to reduce my dependency on taxis or shoe power. Also, while I expect to buy a car, I do not want to be desperate to get the first one.

Are there some reasonable places to buy bicycles in the area? I do not care if it is used. I would enjoy it more if the bicycle had an electric motor, but I can make it work without that for a while.

Most important aspects for the bike:
- decent shape (no broken welds or other parts, tires have good amount of rubber left)
- 6+ gears (I will have to ride some steep hills)
- good brakes. Ideally disc brakes or better.
- reasonable price. I am not looking to sponsor someone's early retirement from this purchase.

Nice to have:
- suspension
- electric motor
- high end brakes

Any advice is welcome,

John

My advice is to bring your bike with you when you arrive here.  We bought new bikes in Canada.  We made sure to ask the store for the boxes they came in.  We used them for the summer to make sure everything was good, and then took the seat, pedals and front wheel off, loosened the handlebar so it twisted sideways, and stuffed them back in the box for the flight to the DR.  Most important is to let some air out of the tires so they don't explode during the flight.  We bought quality bikes, locks and saddlebags, along with helmets and lights before arriving.  I would also add at least one mirror and an electric horn.  Nobody understands what a bicycle bell means when they hear it, but the electric horn gets attention.  The other bonus is the bike boxes have a higher weight limit, so you can throw in the tire pump, tools, or anything else heavy that you don't want in your suitcase.  Be aware customs on departure will open the boxes and swab for drugs/explosives before they go through the Xray machine.  Our bikes saw solid use as transport and grocery-getters for a while before we ended up getting a vehicle.

I occasionally see bikes posted for sale in the Everything Las Terrenas group on Facebook, or in the MarketPlace.

The only place I know that sells new bikes in LT is Real Bikes, on the Blvd. I've not been in there, because the idea of riding a bike here scares the bejeesus out of me! With that, and our home being up in the hills, we sold our bikes before coming down.