Question Re: "Registration Certificate for EU citizen"

Hello everybody,
I am living in Canada and I am a citizen of both Romania and Canada. Planning to move to Portugal in the near future together with my family of 4.
My understanding is that all I have to do if I intend to remain in Portugal for more than 90 days is to apply for a "Registration Certificate for EU citizen" (Certificado de Registo para cidadão da UE) at the Local Council (Câmara Municipal).

As for my family members, since all of them only have Canadian citizenship, they would have to make appointment at SEF in order to obtain a "Residence Card for a third-country national who is a family member of a citizen of the EU" (Cartão de Residencia) as per https://www.sef.pt/en/pages/conteudo-de … spx?nID=22

Is my understanding of the process correct?...
And, do I have to wait for the 90 days term to expire to apply for the Certificado de Registo, or can I apply sooner? (say, one week after moving to Portugal)

Thank you for any input anyone could provide.
Cristian

Hi Cristian, Welcome :)

Your understanding is correct. But as you have non-EU family members, you should always have to make that request for them before you travel to Portugal, even if you are an EU citizen.

The Registration Certificate is the document that formalizes the right of residence in Portugal and must be applied for by any EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen that remains in Portugal for a period exceeding three months. If the period of stay is inferior to three months it only mandatory to hold a valid Identity Card or Passport.

https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/conteudo-de … spx?nID=22

> If you are an EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen and intend to stay in Portugal for a period exceeding three months, please apply for your ​REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE FOR EU/EEA/SWITZERLAND CITIZEN

> If you are a third country citizen and intend to accompany a family member who is an EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen, during his / her stay in Portugal for a period exceeding three months, please apply for your RESIDENCE CARD FOR A THIRD COUNTRY NATIONAL WHO IS A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EU/EEA/SWITZERLAND CITIZEN

Kind Regards