Can I borrow my wife's car on a business visit visa

Hello,

My wife is an expatriate Iquama holder in Riyadh, she has a car.

Separately, I am being sent by my company to Riyadh on a business visit visa.

I have an international driving licence, can I drive her car without problems when I reach Riyadh? It will save us from rental costs.

Not on a visa, no.  While no one will check, in case you have an accident, insurance won't cover it and you will have problems otherwise.

Does your wife own the car or is it a company car?

Thanks for the replies! It's her car.

Seems like insurance is the major issue here...

I've just went through my wife's cars insurance wording. It seems like the only time the insurance won't cover me driving is if I don't hold a valid license (I have an IDP).

The insurance policy is tagged to the car not the driver so I don't understand why it won't cover me? Pretty much operates similarly everywhere around the world.

So it would seem to me that I am covered by the insurance.

bennybennassi wrote:

I've just went through my wife's cars insurance wording. It seems like the only time the insurance won't cover me driving is if I don't hold a valid license (I have an IDP).

The insurance policy is tagged to the car not the driver so I don't understand why it won't cover me? Pretty much operates similarly everywhere around the world.

For the simple fact that you are not authorized to drive the car here legally, the car is not insured to cover IDP or someone not holding a valid license. Check with the insurance provider and them may be able to help you. Trust me, you don't want to be in an accident without the coverage. I have full insurance coverage and even then I have to pay a fixed amount if I met an accident with my fault.

bennybennassi wrote:

Here you are NOT legally authorized to drive a "personally owned" car.  Literally, the owner has to give permission in their Absher for you to use their vehicle - which you can't get as you are not a resident.  And the insurance company will, in most cases, count this as unauthorized use of the vehicle.   You can drive a rental car.

I think everyone is trying to tell you the same thing.   Yes it does operate this way around the world but welcome to Saudi :).