Student Visa to Employment Pass conversion

Can anybody advise me on the following scenario? It Will be much appreciated

I am currently a PhD student at UM. I have been offered a job in finance, and the employer would like to apply for an employment pass with the salary being 5.5k, which I believe is EPII.

1. My question is under the current circumstances with MCO and RMCO going on, and the border is very much restricted, do I need to cancel my existing student pass and return to my home country for the EP process to complete?? Or can the employer ask for a special pass or something like that for me to stay in Malaysia, once I cancel the student visa?

2. The second query is whether if I am able to get the employment pass approved and if everything goes alright. can I continue my PhD under the employment pass? Am I allowed to study under an employment pass? and whether my Univesity will allow me to continue my study where I left from.

Thanks for your time

Hello I'm in a similar situation, can you tell me what you did?

could you please update on your situation. Whether you EP was approved and also was there any problem regarding cancelling your student pass for PHD and how long until u get Ep pass ?

@akramsalah3 Yes, if it's category 2, then you don't have to travel back to your home country. However, if your student pass is nearing its expiry, you might have to apply for a special pass (which your university/employer should help with).

@YJred hii im under the same situation, can you give me some information about that?? I am currently a master student and im getting an opportunity of getting a job in malaysia, can i cancel my student visa and apply for working visa butt still being a student??

@Ijoyi I am facing the same situation. Can you please let me know if you found a solution?

Hi, anyone can help on this?