Shopping in Uruguay

I am trying to figure out if it is really worth it to ship my furniture, which is new and really quite nice, like leather sofas, new kitchen table, bedroom dressers? I have not idea of the cost of such things in Uruguay. Can anyone help me with this delima?

I was also disappointed that I cannot bring my new car into Uruguay. Can this really be so. How much would an old car cost?

Sharon

If you're bringing a container, bring all the furniture you can.

Shopping for furniture in Uruguay is in general a depressing experience. Comfortable couches and chairs are the exception rather than the rule.

You can bring your new car into Uruguay. Just figure on paying at least 120% of the purchase price in customs duty and fees.

Anything with electronics or motors basically costs double here.

Thank you, I have heard that appliances are more expensive in Uruguay and not as nice or effective. Why doesn't Uruguay buy nice appliances from other countries to resell in Uruguay?

Also, I worry about medical insurance for US retires 65 or older. Or do they just do the Universal Option there in Uruguay?

Sharon

sharon88 wrote:

Thank you, I have heard that appliances are more expensive in Uruguay and not as nice or effective. Why doesn't Uruguay buy nice appliances from other countries to resell in Uruguay?

I've never heard a good answer to that oft-asked question.

sharon88 wrote:

Also, I worry about medical insurance for US retires 65 or older. Or do they just do the Universal Option there in Uruguay?

There are options, and all a lot cheaper than the USA.

Hi - will be coming to Uruguay soon. 
I'm an avid organic gardener and curious about availability of gardening supplies, tools and mostly seeds...
..... any non GMO, heirloom or organic seeds available ?

herewecome wrote:

Hi - will be coming to Uruguay soon. 
I'm an avid organic gardener and curious about availability of gardening supplies, tools and mostly seeds...
..... any non GMO, heirloom or organic seeds available ?

Garden tools for sale here are cheap junk for the most part. On the other hand, people get done what needs to be done. Having lived south of the border for almost five years, I now look at North Americans as consumerist 'tool queens.' ;-)

There are active organic gardeners who trade seeds; there's also an amazing vivero (nursery) in Ciudad de la Costa called Pachamama with hundreds of varieties of edible, medicinal, (and more;-) plants.

Great news ~will check it out.
Thank you, plan_be  !