Covid restrictions.

Hi all, 

Any updates on corona cases and covid restrictions?  Any announcement regarding reopening borders?

I would live to know too especially with moving there!

Hello everyone,

So far, we have 91 active local cases. We keep on getting local cases every now and then. It had been said before that borders will reopen when Mauritius will have vaccinated 60-70 percent of the eligible population....back then it was announced that we could reach these figures by August.

However, vaccines are getting scarce, we are no longer receiving vaccines as we should be. A recent shipment of around 38,000 doses reached Mauritius.

At this rate, it is difficult to say when borders will reopen...

Regards,
Anoushka

Thankyou Anoushka.

Dear Anoushka, is there data how many people were vaccinated? I mean how far are we from a 60% hurdle?

Thanks,
Alexey

Hi Alexey,

Sadly, the authorities do not communicate on the figures regularly. A statement from 25th April mentioned :

"The Government is doing its best to inoculate the maximum number of persons, with a target of 60 %. So far some 208 500 persons have received their first vaccine dose, and 33 000 their second dose. Sinopharm vaccine is being used in national vaccine programme, and some 50 000 are expected to be inoculated with it."

To this, I must add that on the 9th of May, we received 38,400 doses of Astra Zeneca through the Covax facility.

That should amount to more or less 250,000 persons. I don't know how much it represents in percentage though but we are far from the 60% announced.

Thank you, wasn't there in the news that Russia was also sending a good chunk of Sputnik 5 to Mauritius?

Based on the above we might me scratching 30% of the vaccination plan at the moment.

Yes, indeed, at the very beginning, the government reported we should receive 1,250,000 doses of Sputnik V, so far, we didn't receive anything...

Another shipment was due mid-may, the 15th, here again, nothing showed up.

Hello everyone,

Just a little update, we received 500,000 doses of sinopharm today …

Regards,
Anou

Ohh... Nice to hear.  Thankyou Anoushka

Hello !When do you think Mauritius will be open again ?
Thanks

Im wondering about the quarantine.  Is it enough that you can prove that you have rented a place where you can stay in quarantine,  or does it have to be selected hotels? Asking because ill go to Mauritius for some recon about places to buy or rent for long term. Thanks in advance.  I cant wait for relocating:)

As i understand it, under current rules, you would have to book one of the approved hotels. Though right now the borders are closed until May 31st.

Yes,  i was afraid so. Big thanks even though it wasnt what i hoped for,  & the rules might soon change.

MAURITIUS RE-OPENS IT'S BORDERS - A Travel news alert

2 week quatantine still enforced from 15 July to 30 September.

From 1 October, no quarantine required for Vaccinated tourists, returning residents and citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbXtVAhHNAohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3cb1Fv9qIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OprLIlsTYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhbis6ftBm0

Has anyone heard anymore on children arriving that are not vaccinated?  We are hoping as adults we will get all ours done here in Botswana but our daughter of 12 is most certainly not going to get one.... I am sure we are not the only ones in this situation.  Thanks  Natasha

Hey Natasha

we're in the same boat  - if you look at the protocols section it states that children under 18 do not have to be vaccinated but do need to have their pcr tests before departure i believe (if i am interpreting the information given out, correctly). i'm also trying to double-check this directly with the authorities. hope this helps!

That is also as I understand it for children under 18 Standaman and Tash:

negative PCR test taken <72 h before arrival - only adults from 18 need to be vaccinated.

Does anybody have any information on what form the hotel packages for vaccinated entrants will take?....i.e. will it be hotel-only or will it be possible to book flights+hotel packages? If the official packages will be for hotel-only - is there any information on what airlines will be flying into Mauritius (i.e. which routes will be opening up)?

Thank you that is very good news!  I thought they could not insist on young kids having the vaccine.  Good luck to those also trying to make the move over!

source:
https://www.travelnews.co.za/article/op … u-bookings

Operators redirect MRU bookings
Today 01:50 - by Sarah Robertson

Comments | 1

Last week Mauritius announced a July 15 reopening to international travellers who were fully vaccinated against COVID-19. However, restrictions remain in place for travellers from South Africa.

Having perused the restrictions, operators report that they will not be able to relaunch sales for the island yet and that Mauritius enquiries will continue to be redirected to alternative Indian Ocean islands that remain open for the South African market.

“Flights between Mauritius and South Africa will remain closed until further notice. South Africans who have been fully vaccinated will be allowed to enter Mauritius from countries on the approved list, provided they have not been in South Africa for at least 14 days prior to boarding a flight to Mauritius,” stated the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) in a second announcement last week.

“The island has taken a very cautious approach to dealing with the pandemic in order to protect its inhabitants. They are trying to reach herd immunity and to have all tourism workers vaccinated by September, which will allow them to reopen more fully, but the Mauritius government remains concerned about the COVID infection rates in South Africa and the slow roll-out of our vaccine programme,” said spokesperson for MTPA, Janet de Kretser. She said a full list of ‘approved countries' for phase one of the reopening of the island in July had not yet been released.

Even when travelling to the island from an approved country, non-vaccinated travellers remain subject to a 14 day in-room quarantine, while fully vaccinated travellers remain confined to their resort for the first 14 days of a stay and may enjoy the resort's beach and swimming pool facilities during this time. Approved guests are required to take a PCR test before travelling to the island, on arrival and on days seven and 14 of their stay.

“These restrictions mean that the island remains effectively closed to South African travellers. There are no flight options between South Africa and Mauritius and even if a South African traveller were to fly to an approved country and remain there for 14 days before flying to Mauritius they would still be confined to their room if they were not fully vaccinated and subjected to numerous PCR tests. Even vaccinated travellers are required to remain confined to their resort, which is another challenging restriction,” said ceo of Thompsons Holidays, Joanne Adolphe.

Md of World Leisure Holidays, Ramesh Jeenarain, said the status quo remained for World Leisure Holidays and that it would continue to promote alternative Indian Ocean islands until Mauritius eased its entry restrictions to be more conducive for South African travellers. “This move is a small step in the right direction towards a full reopening though,” he said.

Joanne remained hopeful that the situation would improve for vaccinated South African travellers in phase two of the island's reopening in October but said that until flights were reinstated connecting South Africa with Mauritius, operators would be unable to reopen sales. She said the trade was actually being cut out from any bookings that were taking place, as Mauritius had specified that land arrangements needed to be made through a special website, www.mauritiusnow.com  rather than through traditional travel trade channels. MTPA said the website would have a list of designated resorts, although none was yet visible as Travel News went to press.

The latest MTPA statement indicates that from October 1, for phase 2, vaccinated travellers will be allowed entry into the country without restrictions upon presentation of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure. Unvaccinated travellers will remain subject to the 14-day in-room quarantine for both phases 1 and 2 though.

Asked if the ban on South African flights would be lifted in October, Janet said that at this stage Mauritius had indicated that vaccinated South African travellers would be permitted entry to the island in October but that the situation remained very fluid.

Chief finance and admin officer for Air Mauritius South Africa, Nooriena Davids, told Travel News that she remained hopeful that Mauritius would lift the restrictions against South African travellers by October 1 in time for the island's summer season but said this was dependent on South Africa's ability to curb the current surge of infections.

Air Mauritius postpones watershed meeting

It was also announced last week that Air Mauritius had obtained permission from the Supreme Court to postpone its watershed meeting (for the second time) until no later than January 31, 2022. The meeting was previously postponed from December 2020 to June, 2021. Air Mauritius is currently in administration and the watershed meeting is important for the future of the airline, as this is when the creditors of the company make decisions about its future.

A statement released by the airline on the postponement said the postponement was due to the general lack of economic viability for the airline as a result of international COVID-19 travel restrictions. The airline added that the ongoing uncertainty also made it difficult to estimate the restructuring costs that needed to be included in the airline's financial statements.

Regarding the postponement of the Air Mauritius watershed meeting, Nooriena said she did not believe that the postponement would affect the airline's operations, which remained on track for resumption on permissible routes.

source:
https://www.travelnews.co.za/article/ma … h-africans

Mauritius bars South Africans
Yesterday - by Kate Nathan

Paradise postponed... for South Africans
Comments | 1

On Friday,Travel News received a trade communication from the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) announcing that Mauritius will be welcoming international travellers from July 15.

But when we made specific enquiries about South Africans, our joy turned to disappointment as MTPA revealed that flights from South Africa will not be allowed, nor will travellers who have been in South Africa during the 14 days prior to boarding a Mauritius-bound flight.

The MTPA release says the island will be opening in phases during 2021.The first phase, from July 15 to September 30 2021, will see admission for vaccinated travellers only (excluding SA-originating passengers), and they will be confined to their resort (chosen from a list of designated resorts), but will be able to enjoy facilities within their resort premises, including the swimming pool and beach.

If guests stay longer than 14 days and have negative PCR test results on day 7 and day 14, during the confined resort stay, they will be able to explore the island's attractions. If on a shorter vacation, they may leave the resort earlier and travel back home.

Travel News' enquiries about South Africans being allowed entry,  brought the following response from MTPA: “South Africans who have been fully vaccinated can travel to Mauritius, but they need to have been outside South Africa for at least 14 days prior to boarding an approved flight to Mauritius.”

A list of pre-approved Covid-19 safe resorts will be available from June 20 at www.mauritiusnow.com

Travellers aged 18 years or over must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. They will need a negative PCR test result dated 5 to 7 days before departure and will also need to undergo another PCR test on arrival at the airport in Mauritius, plus another one on day 7 and yet another on day 14 of their resort holiday.

Phase 2, from October 1, 2021, will see vaccinated travellers being allowed entry without being restricted to one resort. These travellers will need to present a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure.

Unvaccinated travellers arriving in Mauritius during phase 1 and 2, will be subject to 14 days in-room quarantine.

Anybody got any idea what has happened to the designated list of hotels for vaccinated arrivals? It was supposed to be published yesterday?

Hi

So from October onwards even South Africans who are fully vaccinated should not have any issues?  We are a Botswana family but have to fly via South Africa, hence me asking.

THank you

Natasha

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing fine and are safe.

Here is a little update concerning the modalities of reopening as from 1st July. The announcement has been made yesterday by the Prime Minister.

https://i.ibb.co/5sc0Gh0/205812397-316301616824153-4025691692742555260-n.jpg

Concerning reopening of borders, a mandatory quarantine is required as from 15 July - 30 September 2021

Have a look at the requirements here :
https://booking.mymauritius.travel/

You will find a list of covid-safe hotels here : https://mauritiusnow.com/where-to-stay-in-mauritius/

Regards,
A

tashwilmot wrote:

Hi

So from October onwards even South Africans who are fully vaccinated should not have any issues?  We are a Botswana family but have to fly via South Africa, hence me asking.

THank you

Natasha

According to what has been announced so far, it shouldn't be a problem, however please consider that the whole pandemic situation is unstable. It depends on how the situation evolves. I think that we should wait for mid September or last week of September for an official announcement from authorities in regards to re opening of borders to vaccinated foreigners without quarantine.

Best regards,
A

We are now trying to book our travel to Mauritius and we had a question: if we fly from London via dubai (we have a 2 hour layover/transfer in the airport), will the PCR tests we take before flying from London suffice on arrival in mauritius?  the Mauritius now! website says the pcr test “must be taken 5-7 days before the FINAL point of embarkation”...so does that mean you can only fly direct (no transfers)?? Or do the mean the original point of embarkation? nightmare to navigate all of this!

Hi Standaman1967,

Transfers are fine, don't worry. Nothing has been mentioned about Dubai (variant, restrictions etc). The PCR should be done prior to embarkation at your original departure point/country.

You will have to do some additional tests once here, they form part of the formalities/process set up by Gov.

Regards,
A

I am wondering who and where we will have our first test when arrived in Mauritius.
Do we have to pay for the test?
And who brings us to our resort?
Who pays the following two tests? And do they do it in the hotel? Or do we have to go to a testing station?

Moreover,  we are not allowed to leave the resort but what about the people that work in the resort? They could bring in the virus easily... I just hope they are all vaccinated and have restrictions too.

Are they cleaning the room every day? This will be a challenge for sure.

I am happy to stay in the resort for two weeks but the more I think of it I feel like it is as dangerous to get the virus as if I went out to explore the island.
I think it would be safer for me to isolate in my rental than in the resort.....but that isn't an option I know....

Nevertheless I am really excited and hope after 5 months postponing our move it will finally happen!

Hi 123whitehill,

For visitors/mauritians/expats arriving during the period 15 July to 30 September 2021:

All the PCR tests and the hotel quarantine is at the expense of the visitor. It is free of charge for mauritian and mixed couples with one spouse being mauritian. The PCR tests are done by health officers of the Ministry of Health.

You will undergo a PCR test on arrival day and on days 7 and 14 of your stay.

There is a testing point at the airport however, I am not sure that your first test will be done there. If not, it will be done by health officers when you arrive at your hotel. The tests are normally done at your hotel itself and results will be communicated to you the same or the following day.

Hotel staff have been vaccinated but you won't really interact with them. They have a strict protocole to respect. Your food will be delivered to your room. They used to hand over the food platter at the doorstep itself without entering the room, I don't know whether it has changed.

If you are fully vaccinated, you will have access to the beach in front of your hotel and to your hotel facilities. If you are not vaccinated, you won't be able to leave your room.

As from 1st October, quarantine should be removed for vaccinated people.

It should be fine, 2 weeks fly quickly.

nice one anou! Thanks.

Hi Anoushka - Thanks very much & nice to hear from you with the latest local news.
We rely on you to give us the correct info.  Bye

Standaman1967:   Re PCR test (5 - 7 days before final point of embarkation): As confirmed by Anou -  It is correct, no issues with transit points before final destination of Mauritius.

My thoughts:  15 July - 30 September window may well be shortened if/when the situation improves in Mauritius & allowing vaccinated persons to enter and not having to quarantine any more.
Some countries are looking at this scenario at the moment.
I think this may well happen. 
I have decided to wait a little bit longer...   
If you need to get to Mauritius & cannot wait further, then you have to go. 
Suggest you get a blog going during your 14 day stay, it would relieve the boredom & of course keep us informed.

123whithill:  Further to Anoushka's reply.

Please see the thread: Enjoying your quarantine in Mauritius started by silvanO
8 Sept 2020.    This may help you in making a decision. 

Regards & Stay safe Everyone.
Rick

Further to my above reply -  Of course now you are allowed to use all facilities on offer which would make your stay more bearable.
I'd say the bare minimum would be hotel   swimming pool   beach.
Regards/Stay safe all
Rick

after sorting the logistics of moving 5 people half way around the world in a pandemic, i'm going to need a hotel and beach for 2 weeks! :-)

Arexthe beaches open yet? I thought they were still closed.

From the 1st July only for walking or swimming no picnics

standaman1967 wrote:

after sorting the logistics of moving 5 people half way around the world in a pandemic, i'm going to need a hotel and beach for 2 weeks! :-)

Do you now have "boots on the ground" and bought the "Our Family Survived 2 weeks of hotel quarantine in Mauritius" T-shirt, or waiting for the gates to open on 1 October
@standaman1967   ?

Standaman1967, I was also wondering if you and the family had made the move and if so how life was going over there so far?  Our family move still on the cards for early December.

we're flying tomorrow, quarantine for 2 weeks and then into mauritius proper. so can better answer end of september i guess!

standaman1967 wrote:

we're flying tomorrow, quarantine for 2 weeks and then into mauritius proper. so can better answer end of september i guess!

@standaman1967     Bon Voyage to you and your family !

flying via Dubai ?

Which quarantine hotel ?

Keep us posted while you are there - you will have a lot of time  ;/

In which area have you chosen temporary / permanent accomodation after the quarantine ?