Personnummer for EU wife of Swedish citizen?

Hi,

I have been living with my Swedish husband for 2 years in Sweden. We got married recently here. I was not able to get a personnummer so far as it was impossible to me to get the 1-year health cover, and due to multiple reasons I can't get a job for a few more years. Still, money is not a problem, we can safely live from my husbands salary and I also have some tiny income from online content writing, to top it up (it is not enough to apply as self-employed). But we plan to have a family and a life here together, and I keep bumping into walls because of not existing in Sweden.

Now, that we are also married, we thought there must be a right for him to register his wife, as a Swedish citizen. But we keep getting mixed information. As I am an EU member, everyone said, I have to ask for the personnummer straight from Skatteverket, as Migrationsverket is for out of EU members. But some Skatteverket employees said, I still cannot get personnummer, even tho I have a Swedish husband. Now we are totally confused and devastated. Can somebody enlighten me about the actual rules on getting registered in Sweden as an Eu member and wife of a Swedish citizen? (without work and health cover). Or do we have to consider leaving the country if we want to stay together?

Hello, As far as I can understand it, you better apply for residence visa at Migrationsverket as a family member to a Swedish citizen. Because as an EU citizen you still need to fulfil different requirements to get a personnummer which you will not be able to fulfill according to your own description.

There is a column in the application to inform additional information to them, there you can describe the situation and then it will be only a matter of time until you get it all. I mean even though you entered to the country as an EU citizen you will be registered eventually as a family member to a Swedish citizen therefore it will be a matter of Migrationsverket and not Skatteverket initially.

However there could be other options too, above is one of them. All the best!

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English … izens.html

Read this above link and your doubts will be resolved. You have to apply at Migrationsverket.