Returning to Gozo to retire

I intend to return to Gozo to retire in room only basis to start with.I lived in Qala in 2016 for 1 yr. Can I return,have had both phizer jabs now.

I think from 1st June will be OK throughout Europe and UK.

jamesalex27 wrote:

I intend to return to Gozo to retire in room only basis to start with.I lived in Qala in 2016 for 1 yr. Can I return,have had both phizer jabs now.

You would need to fulfil the same requirements as a TCN this time if you wish to reside here on a permanent basis as you are no longer an EU citizen.

Thanks for that info,will do just that asap ,Jim

Why is Malta in Amber zone?

jamesalex27 wrote:

Why is Malta in Amber zone?

Because it is has a higher figure for new cases, at 64 per 100,000 over the last fortnight, than the cut off level for green. Portugal just made the cut with 60.
The latest rolling weekly figure per 100,000 shows Malta on 32.8, Portugal on 24.7 and the UK itself on  21.3,  I believe 25 is used as the cut off.
But Malta still has the UK on Amber as far as I know.

Thanks for that,Its very helpful,I'll get back in touch early June to get updated figures,and ask about anyone you think would be interested in renting out a room only basis for 3 months for myself(70 yrs old fit pensioner)to also apply for eresidency in Gozo,where I lived in 2017 for 12 monthsand had e residency,but I just missed out on renewing,and now I believe I will have to apply again after 90 days staying somewhere over in Gozo.

jamesalex27 wrote:

Thanks for that,Its very helpful,I'll get back in touch early June to get updated figures,and ask about anyone you think would be interested in renting out a room only basis for 3 months for myself(70 yrs old fit pensioner)to also apply for eresidency in Gozo,where I lived in 2017 for 12 monthsand had e residency,but I just missed out on renewing,and now I believe I will have to apply again after 90 days staying somewhere over in Gozo.

I would suggest you look carefully at the different options and requirements for residency for Non EU nationals, these are listed towards the bottom of the website ( Link below) on the right hand side.
If you select the type of application that suits your situation and then click on the checklist it will list everything for you.
You will not of course get the 10 year card, indeed I believe you can only get residence on a yearly basis as a TCN.
As a UK pensioner you can apply for a Certificate of Health Entitlement, using the S1 form, from the Maltese authorities which will give you full cover here and in the UK. You have to apply to the UK International Pensions office who will send you the forms to take to the officials here.
A quicker process is to take advantage of the Reciprocal Health Agreement, the cover is basic but sufficient for residence application.

https://identitymalta.com/unit/expatriates-unit/

Thanks for that,its all straight forward as far as I can see,so I will be able to do the pensioner one when I come over from Scotland,and have also been in the Government office in Vitoria in Gozo a couple of times in 2017 when I got e residency last time.Hope I can pick up some accomodation when I arrive,hopefully,and firstly do the 90 days to qualify for future retirement plan.

Good luck, the residence office has moved now within the Ministry and is through the entrance between the barbers and the cafe.

Just wondering what the latest Covid 19 figures are in Gozo/Malta,and when I can return for 3 months,then hopefully organize residency in the long term,I'm Scottish and 70 yr old male,and would prefer nice quiet village in Gozo if at all possible,Thanks,James

jamesalex27 wrote:

Just wondering what the latest Covid 19 figures are in Gozo/Malta,and when I can return for 3 months,then hopefully organize residency in the long term,I'm Scottish and 70 yr old male,and would prefer nice quiet village in Gozo if at all possible,Thanks,James

Covid cases are very low here at the moment, you still have to wear a mask as soon as you step outside.
With regards to a nice quiet village, many of the villages are not as quiet as they were due to the amount of building going on, but quieter then Malta.
Regards residency you will be treated as a TCN and as you have not been living here will not be able to have the ten year residents card.  Good luck.

Thanks for that info mo,will be heading over as soon as all goes green,I,ve had both  vaccinations now(Phizer)and hope you guys are well on with your,s,In Scotland we are now starting with 25 to 30 yr.olds,but who knows what's round the corner,everything changes so quickly.Just have to keep our fingers crossed for travel to get going again,Cheers for now Mo,Jim

jamesalex27 wrote:

Thanks for that info mo,will be heading over as soon as all goes green,I,ve had both  vaccinations now(Phizer)and hope you guys are well on with your,s,In Scotland we are now starting with 25 to 30 yr.olds,but who knows what's round the corner,everything changes so quickly.Just have to keep our fingers crossed for travel to get going again,Cheers for now Mo,Jim

Have had both of mine too, lets hope everything soon gets back to normal. Going back to your previous question about quiet villages, we used to live in Gharb but unfortunately there are a lot of holiday lets
so quite busy at times, we moved to Victoria which is handy for shops, hospital etc and find it quieter.

When I arrive in Gozo whenever,I will try for room only to start with to see how things go,I stayed in the flats opposite bucket restaurant in Qala,you probably. Know it,it was brilliant views watching the Malta ferry come in to Gozo,but do not think I will be so lucky this time,so a room somewhere will suffice to start

You want to get your skates on to apply for the new residency card, you only have until June 30th . After that you will only be permitted to stay in Malta or anywhere in the Schengen zone for 90 days in any 180 day period.

Moocher wrote:

You want to get your skates on to apply for the new residency card, you only have until June 30th . After that you will only be permitted to stay in Malta or anywhere in the Schengen zone for 90 days in any 180 day period.

As far as I am aware the date of June 30th only applies to people who were living here up to the end of last year not new comers.

https://scontent.fvie1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/190825445_10160693995079045_5735530545928126038_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=0m218Nj4vJAAX-Xtw-N&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=cd3a91ac27517c141f70d5eb381de13c&oe=60D0FB92

GozoMo wrote:
Moocher wrote:

As far as I am aware the date of June 30th only applies to people who were living here up to the end of last year not new comers.

I thought the fact that the OP already holds a residency card from his 12 months here in 2017 would be enough to qualify him for the new bio metric 10 year card ?

Moocher wrote:

I thought the fact that the OP already holds a residency card from his 12 months here in 2017 would be enough to qualify him for the new bio metric 10 year card ?

You had to be living here up to the end of last year.

Moocher wrote:

In theory, the fact that that the OP has been out of the country since 2017 will invalidate a previously held eResidence card.  Even if the card was still valid he would still need to apply before the end of the month and show proof of living here.

Ok thanks for clearing that up , so in essence the gentleman in question is now totally unable to gain residency as it appears he has not spent the required qualifying period in Malta/Gozo before the end of the withdrawal agreement, December 2020.

Correct he and anyone else coming to live here from the UK are now TCN's.