Canadians in Brazil to USA????

Hi,

Is it possible for a Canadian  (me) to land in the USA from Brazil. I'd like to fly to Washington State and then cross into Canada by land. Will I be allowed out of the airport?

I am thinking the answer is "no", but there are so many knowledgeable voices on this forum I thought I'd ask.

As of right now no. You would have to quarantine in another country for 15 days. Then you could enter with a negative test.
I have not had any notice of a change.
BR is a Red Flag for many countries.

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

Hi Drjmagic,

I am just curious on what your plan is for returning to Canada. You had written that your 90 days extension expires sometime this month. Are you forced to leave Brazil?

I am meeting with the federal police tomorrow to see if I can keep staying in Brazil. May 14 will be 90 days for me in the country but I was also in Brazil from October to December of last year.

I had a return ticket with Air Canada for May 1 which was cancelled 4 times already. It has now been rescheduled for July. I see that Air Canada has shown on their websites of direct flights from Brazil to Canada resuming in July but I don't know if they will eventually be cancelled too. I wonder if the chances are high that they will be cancelled.

It's pretty tough travelling to Canada since I am not allowed in America since I was in Brazil and I am not American. I have been researching for other possible flights and it seems that I can fly to Mexico City and then from Mexico City to Toronto. You do not even need a covid test to fly to Mexico.

However I would have to book a hotel in Canada which costs 300/night which seems way too expensive. I am seeing that Canadians are flying to America and walking across the border to avoid the hotel. It's too bad that I cant fly to America unless I stay 2 weeks in Mexico.

Hi Raptors.

From your handle I suspect you are from Toronto. My sincere condolences.

My extension is due to expire May 24. As you pointed out, Air Canada is as useless as tits on a duck (apologies to anyone offended, especially duck lovers). I booked a flight with Delta from SP --> Atlanta --> Seattle --> Vencouver. 25 hours. I'll be staying at the Sandman Vancouver Airport Hotel. All totaled, the price tag is about $1250 for the hotel, but that includes $150/food voucher from Moxies. I sure hope that I can use the credit for alcohol!

As far as I can tell, we can not do the land boarder re-entry as we are barred from the USA. I thought about other work arounds (eg Mexico) but in the end it would be too complicated and I should be getting home. I'm trying to view the COVID prison-hotel deal as a 3 day retreat where I'm going to watch a poop-pile of Netflix and YouTube and catch up on much neglected reading list.

I am booked to fly out this Thursday May 13.

I have very mixed feelings. I am excited to get home, and there are a number of things that I NEED to attend to. But Brazil had been my home for the past 6 months and I am sad to leave.

Thanks haha yes i am from Toronto and the season has been a disaster although i didnt watch any of it while i was here.

So it sounds like you are not an American citizen. You should double check but I don't think that you are allowed to fly to America even if you are in transit. That is why I am checking my options of flying to Canada through Mexico.  You wouldn't want to be denied entry on your flight to Atlanta.

I am also guessing that you did not try to apply for another extension for Brazil. If you have other things to do then it makes sense to leave.

When I bought my flight in January I thought that things with the pandemic would be better off in May but that's certainly not the case at the moment. It's been pretty stressful with all these cancelled flights.

I also heard that maybe the hotel rule for Canada will expire on May 20th but I doubt it. I also hope they don't change it from 3 mandatory nights to 14 regardless of if you have Covid or not.

I am really starting to think it's probably just better to leave to Canada as soon as i can. I would prefer to just go back with my return ticket but who knows if it will be cancelled again. I don't see any options to book a flight from Rio to Toronto without going through the States. I would have to book a flight from Rio to SP to Mexico city and then book another flight from there to Toronto. Who knows if any of those flights would just be cancelled last minute, i hope not.

Hi,

I bought my ticket on line with Delta. I don't think they would issue one if it wasn't useable. Can anyone else here on the forum confirm that non-US citizens ARE allowed to transit through the USA to Canada?

Some friends booked through Panama (maybe also Mexico) and then on to Toronto. They got a pretty reasonably priced ticket.

Air Canada did say they are refunding the unused portion of my ticket. Still waiting to see the credit show up on my Mastercard.

With COVID case still going up in many places in Canada, I don't imagine the mandatory 3 day hotel rule will be suspended. If anything, I suspect there could be more restrictions at land boarders.  I guess a court could rule the regulation is unconstitutional, but who knows when that will happen.

I don't see this COVID craziness abating anytime soon.

Good luck

Section 1.  Suspension and Limitation on Entry.  (a)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, and the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
(b)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

Sure hate to see you having to return to Brazil. As said DIL had to go to Mexico for 15 days, then on to US

Hi Tex

I did not see the post by DIL.

I am wondering if transiting through US airports is considered "entering". I don't need to leave any airport.

I've spent OVER 5 HOURS on hold with Delta (after the recording suggested I'd have "up to 18 minute wait") trying to find out if they will let me board on Thursday.

Does anyone have a Brazilian phone number for Delta?

+55 (11) 21727700.
Do not know if still good. Came from the internet, so must be true :dumbom:
+1 (404) 209-3554 or +1 (800) 901-9061.

You cannot enter or transit the USA if you have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil, China, or South Africa within the previous 14 days. For further information, please check the advice from US Customs and Border Protection website.

Delta Airlines just confirmed that I can NOT even transit through a US airport on the way home to Canada. 

Almost all flights to Canada from Brazil stop somewhere in the USA.

It seems that I might have a chance with Aeromexico, but that might not be possible until a week after my visa extension expires.

I guess my next step is to go to the PF and find out if I can get an extra extension, given that I seem to be truly stuck here.

I'll post what I find out in case there are other Canucks (like Raptor) in the same boat

Hi Drjmagic,

The PF gave me an extension until July 15. Looks like I will be staying here in Brazil.
Now just need to hope that Air Canada doesn't cancel my flight for a 5th time.

Just read some are even flying to PY stay 14 days, then fly to Miami just to get a free vaccine.
It is J&J one jab and done

Good news Raptor.

Did you need to take copies of cancelled tickets or any other documentation? Any forms to fill out?

Was there a cost?

Yes i had to fill out a form with some basic information such as my name, my parent's names, my address in Brazil, my occupation, how long i intend on staying in Brazil etc

I brought the following printed information with me: an email stating my flight was cancelled, email of my new return ticket in July, bank statement, credit card bill, a copy of my air bnb information to show my address. My passport.

I had to pay a 100 something Real charge to the PF which you have to complete online for some other online form and then pay at a bank prior to going to the PF. I brought a copy of the receipt of the paid bill of the charge and a printed copy of that online form.

I went to the PF a total of 2 times. When i went to the PF the first time just to find out what I had needed to do, they had given me a list of what I needed to bring and I had to book an appointment online and come back which I did today with the printed copy showing my appointment time.

When i got there the second time I just went to the counter and gave my information along with my passport. They made me wait and after 30 or so minutes a woman just came out and called my name and showed me a stamp on my passport of how long I could stay here. I didnt have an interview or anything.

It's probably not the same process everywhere in Brazil but might be similar, this is how it was at the SDU airport in Rio.

Best of luck Drjmagaic

Hi Drjmagic,

Just wanted to check in with you and see what you have done or plan on doing.
As I mentioned before, I got my extension to stay in Brazil until the middle of July and my flight with Air Canada was cancelled again for the 5th time. I don't think I am going to bother to go to the PF since the same thing is probably going to keep on happening. I was supposed to leave on May 1 and I see that the next flight from Sao Paolo to Toronto is starting on September 3. I bet that flight will just keep getting cancelled.

So i am looking at my options of flying back. The United States is still not an option so i am looking at flights and I see that the main ones that are possible are Mexico, Colombia and Panama.

In terms of getting into the country it seems that Mexico is the easiest, all you need is to fill out a form. And from what I am seeing I think the same applies for Colombia. For Panama you need a negative covid test which isnt a problem because i would need it to go to Canada anyways but i see that the requirements are more strict for Panama and I am hoping not to have issues there. You might be required to pay for a molecular test in panama at your own expense. I also hope if i transit there then it is ok and I dont need to worry about a quarantine.

It seems that in terms of buying a flight package then it would allow me to buy a package from Rio to Panama and to Toronto. But i cant buy one flight package from Rio to Toronto going through Mexico or Colombia. I would need to book seperate flights. I remember in the past when i wanted to buy a flight from Rio to Sao Paolo for some booking websites i needed a cpf and im not brazilian so im not sure how non-brazilians buy flights within Brazil.

Hopefully your plan can give me some idea on what to do. I think I read that you planned on staying in Mexico. Are you then planning on going to the states and Canada after 2 weeks in Mexico? I am not sure that I would want to stay in Mexico for 2 weeks alone. It's crazy to me to think that it was easier to go to Brazil and fly back to Canada in October of last year than it is now given all the vaccines and time that this pandemic has been existing.

What annoys me about that stupid hotel rule for Canada is that its non-refundable and its expensive. I suspect that you just wasted your money for the hotel when you bought your previous ticket through the states. Sorry if thats the case. Anyways hope everything is going well with you, it's good to have other people to talk to in these similar situations.

Hi Raptor,

I'm texting from my comfy sofa in northern BC. We are just coming out of a brutal 5 day heat wave that broke records all over BC with one town reaching 49⁰C.    BRUTAL!

My odyssey home felt like I was trapped in the Twilight Zone with all the cancelations and mixed up info. I ended up following Texan's advice and booked two weeks in Mexico. I planned on scuba diving and surfing, 2 activities that I've done a few times.

But the diving was so phenomenal that I stayed in Cozumel (on the Caribbean side) and logged 20 dives. That was amazing. And it filled my days. Although I met lots of great people and developed a couple of friendships, I was still quite lonely there. If you are by yourself, you'll want to find someone to spend your days (and probably nights) with. If you have a special friend in Brazil, it might be worth buying an extra ticket for her/him so you'll have company. Or just go on an exciting solo adventure. (I used to love doing that in my pre-geriatric days)

Or learn to SCUBA dive!

Anyway, after 16 days in Mexico, I was able to fly to Seattle (with
negative COVID test in hand) where I hung out with a  friend for a couple of days. Then another COVID test. I got a ride to the border and I walked across. No prison hotel!! I had to take another COVID test upon arrive and had to wait a couple of days for the results before FINALLY getting home where I still had to quarentine for 14 days.

I expect that the COVID hotel program will soon end.

My advice is to have a holiday in Mexico for 2 weeks. By then you should know for sure about the hotel nonsense. And then home, either direct to Toronto or a border city and hike across.

Good luck!

Pete

Drjmagic,
Congrats! Now that was the best way I heard to return. Little scuba and sun.

08/02/21

Canada continues to be serious about its requirements for citizens returning from abroad, so be aware:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 … ts-canada/

A tourist visiting here had to have a PR 2 test with QR on it to verify. Smart idea.

Hi Canadian here,

So whats going to happen unless you have both vaccinations and *are* on canadas supported vaccine list. you will be forced a 3  day hotel quarunteen that will ultimatly cost you 2000 cad or more, depending on your returning pcr results done in canada. If you are in that scenerio and are needing to go back. I suggest using flights.google.com and search on a direct flight.

Now if you try to leave hospital quarunteen you might meet an infamous 6.5k - 500k cad fine. and from what im understanding it could be considered a criminal charge. so your passport may go poof after that.

you can pass through america providing you have adiquate documentation in english / translated that states your pcr results you can get from lets say GRU airport as its official documentation. the less stops in america the better as if there is too many they may refuse you entry. thus why I suggested direct flight. more expensive. less drama

And this will provide any additional information you need for entry.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave … ing-canada

It seems that the bottom line is: GET VACCINATED (if and when you can) and have proof of you vaccination status

Yeah more difficult here if you are not in possession of a cpf. As vaccinations are managed by SUS

Canada is looking at also issuing vaccine passports of a sort soon too so make sure to keep up to date on that !

Vacination proof has to be certified translated and also need to use the ARIVCAN APP.  Before you leave Brasil or you will face possible huge fines on arrival in Canada.